The Corner

Tell about anything you are interested: foreign cultures, Pooh-Bear and everything else.

Moderators: FBI, D.Rabbit, Karin, Vee

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Re: The Corner

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:33 pm

yes, I had that before: one of my hamsters was allergic to my suitcase. Every time the hamster came near my suitcase he got a sneezing fit. I thought he had a cold but the vet couldn't find anything until we finally noticed the real cause of the problem.

With this hamster it's different: I went to an animal clinic with him last Friday and they found the reason: he has a tumor behind his right shoulder. It is well hidden so that the first vet overlooked it. We don't know yet if it's a malign or a harmless one. Next Friday the hamster will have a surgery and then we'll see what can be done.
The doctor sais she is very confident. He is in excellent shape for his age and the tumor is in a place where it can easily be removed. The only risk is that there could be metastases. Therefore we'll make an x-ray before the surgery.

The good news is that he stopped scratching and the wounds heal :) The vet shaved the fur around the wounds. The hairs had gotten stuck in the wounds and that must have itched so that he scratched. Now the hamster looks as if he had been attacked by moths but at least the wounds heal quickly =)

shione123

Post by shione123 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:12 am

I hope it's a benign tumor. It's good he stopped scratching. Please keep us posted.

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:49 pm

shione123 wrote:Hi ladybug! I'm so proud of you. You're still not smoking and you also lost weight. Well alright!

I'm sorry that you went through that with your grandmother. That must have been hard.

I'm happy that you haven't suffered the flu. Neither have I. Take care ladybug and I hope you're having a great week, too! :-)

Thanks sweetie. I'm proud of me too. I am the only one in my family that has been able to quit and not start again. I do have my days when I really want one but I keep reminding myself I can't afford it, and it makes me cough, plus I don't want to go through withdrawal again.

It was very hard to see her not all there especially since she raised me but she lived a good, long life before she got dementia.

Still no flu for me or my family, thank goodness.

You have a great week too.

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:06 am

mare-I'm glad you were able to find out the problem and he's doing better.

I know what you mean about spending more than you make. Its been a problem of mine lately, too. I did better this month but I need to keep it up.

$15 for meat? Damn. I have to stick with the grocery store or Walmart and keep it to a minimum. Chicken is pretty cheap here and so that is my main meat. Good thing I really like the stuff. Baked, broiled, poached, or fried, Yummy!

Have a great week, everyone.

PS I'm going to have to think hard about joining facebook or twitter. I'm not on the computer much as it is and I'm not sure it would be worth it for me. My kids have facebook pages but it just hasn't been my thing. And NY-I don't think my credit card would survive the trip.HEHE

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks for the good wishes.
The surgery went rather well and next Friday the stitches get pulled (actually, the vet says if the hamster likes, he may pull them himself, any time after Monday LOL).
He keeps scratching, however, and has a rather big wound on his left side. I'm cleaning it with warm water and an antibiotic ointment twice a day. It's not that easy because the hamster is completely crazy: twice he went for a swim in the water bowl! I told him that he's a desert animal and supposed to bathe in clean sand, but he won't listen to me.
What worries me most is that he has lost a lot of weight: 52 g before the surgery, 40 g last Friday. Even if you count off the tumor which had about 6g it's still a dramatic weight loss. He's so thin that I can feel all his ribs. I'm trying to coax him into eating more. It's possible that there are metastases in his intestines (unfortunately, the tumor was the dangerous sort that almost always makes metastases).

shione123

Post by shione123 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:07 am

You're welcome, ladybug. Keep up the great work. Flu, flu stay away. Have a great week! :-)
Last edited by shione123 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

shione123

Post by shione123 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:10 am

Poor creature, Mare...I hope his appetite improves and he's not suffering.

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 pm

shione123 wrote:You're welcome, ladybug. Keep up the great work. Flu, flu stay away. Have a great week! :-)

I will, thanks.

I started getting a headache and body aches yesterday, and now I have the sniffles. Ugh! I think its just a cold, but that can be bad enough. I slept most of the evening, night, and morning. My headache and body ache is gone at present, but my nose is giving me fits. I'm taking sinus pills and Tylenol. I was taking it a lot anyway because of my allergies, but a cold just makes everything seem worse. Oh well, I'll live.

mare-I hope he is doing better, is eating better, and will start gaining weight.

Have a great week everybody.

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Poor hamster. I hope he will recover.

mare_serenitatis wrote: fish or meat for $15
Surprisingly, but in St. Petersburg meat at approximately the same price too. But you can buy frozen meat cheaper. But it is not of very good quality.
It seems that we are catching up with Europe at least on the prices ... :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

ladybug wrote: I'm taking sinus pills and Tylenol.
Tylenol is paracetamol? This is not the best remedy for the flu. At best, it only weaken headache. It would be good to take some preventive means, raises immunity. At least try to drink lots of fluids. And it is better if it will be some sour fruit juice with a high content of vitamin C.

I was not able to avoid the flu this winter, but I quickly recovered from it. I received Kagocel, but I think it's only the Russian medicine (and as far as I know, its effectiveness has not been proved by all the rules).

I hope you'll feel better soon.

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:51 am

Thanks natalie

Its arthritis strength Tylenol and usually works for me on headaches and body aches.
I do have something stronger for pain but try not to take it very often.

Thanks for the suggestions on the fruit juices, but I have a bad stomach with ulcers and fruit/fruit juices would pretty much double me over in pain. I will try to keep myself hydrated, take cold pills for the sniffles, try to get plenty of rest, and continue to blow my nose until its over. It will take its course no matter what I do, so I'm just trying to survive the worse, and know it will be over in a few days.

I haven't had a cold or flu for several years, which is why I didn't get a flu shot. Oh well, I'm sure I will be fine in a few days.

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:01 pm

ladybug wrote:but I have a bad stomach with ulcers and fruit/fruit juices would pretty much double me over in pain.
I really understand you. I have a similar situation: because of the sick joints I had to take painkillers often, so my stomach was not stand, and I had an ulcer of the stomach several times. Due to low immunity, I often get sick with the flu, but I can't use a popular means of treatment, fearing for the stomach. So I have to look for gentle methods. By trial and error I learned folk remedies, which help me, not causing harm. I use broths from some local herbs and some berries.

In spite of the fact that the lingonberry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_vitis-idaea) and kalina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viburnum) is a very sour berries, fruit compote of them does not cause me heartburn (Unfortunately I'm not sure, is it possible to find this berry in your field). But I am sure that green tea will not hurt you, and it is very useful for the flu. One doctor recommended me, when you have a cold, drink a lot of green tea with the addition of large quantities of milk (up to 1/3).

In addition garlic is very useful. It does not necessarily need to eat. There is such a method: we must cut the clove of garlic into thin slices across, put in a small bowl, then pour it with boiling water and inhale the vapors of this, his head covered with a towel. In addition to this I add back a little bit of the Vietnamese balm "gold star" or anything else that contains camphor and menthol. This is a very good help from the sniffles and makes breathing easier.

And if you have a sore throat, there's a very simple, but effective and not dangerous folk remedy: dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water and gargle with it. It has a very unpleasant taste, but it helps very well.

Be healthy, Ladybug.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 am

{{{{{{{Ladybug}}}}}}} I hope you'll get better soon!

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 pm

thanks Natalie and mare

Thanks for the suggestions on the remedies. I'll have to research the berries to see if they are available around here. I'd never heard about breathing in the garlic, I might have to give it a try, next time. I knew about the salt water, and I, luckily, didn't have a sore throat. I'm breathing better, and feeling better, accept still being tired. Hopefully, I will be good as new in another day or two.

Yes, sometimes the old folk remedies can be the best. I remember honey, lemon cough medicine. It would stop a cough almost instantly and taste a lot better than the stuff sold over the counter. My grandmother, also, would give us a hot tottie for cramps and baking soda water for a bladder infection or sever indigestion. You have to be careful about the baking soda to water ratio because it would clean your system out if you took to much. Found that out the hard way. :oops:

I've never tried green tea, not much of a tea drinker. I might have to get it a try though.

You have a great weekend, and week.

shione123

Post by shione123 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:49 am

I hope you feel better soon, ladybug. It's no fun being sick. Try to get lots of fluids and Vitamin C. Have a great week.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:20 pm

^And lots of chocolates and Easter eggs!!