The Corner

Tell about anything you are interested: foreign cultures, Pooh-Bear and everything else.

Moderators: FBI, D.Rabbit, Karin, Vee

Natalie 9

Re: The Corner

Post by Natalie 9 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Happy Easter to all !

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Happy Easter!!! :)

shione123

Post by shione123 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks Natalie and Mare! I hope you both had a Happy Easter. :-)

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun May 05, 2013 5:23 pm

yes, quite :) (I still have half a chocolate bunny left, heehee)
In Germany, next Thursday is Fathers Day. Do you have such a holiday in your countries, too? When is yours? (Ours is always on Ascension Day)

shione123

Post by shione123 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 am

You must have great restraint as far as chocolate is concerned, Mare. :) Father's Day is June 16 in the United States. June 16 is also my birthday. Unfortunately, my own father passed away when I was 11 years old. One of my older sisters said I was my father's favorite. She said he doted on me in a way that he didn't do with my other siblings.

shione123

Post by shione123 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:05 am

:-( On Easter Sunday of this year, my mother's oldest brother died of a heart attack in the Bahamas. He was a fun-loving, sweetheart of a guy and he will be truly missed.

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:38 pm

mare_serenitatis wrote:In Germany, next Thursday is Fathers Day. Do you have such a holiday in your countries, too? When is yours? (Ours is always on Ascension Day)
In Russia there are several holidays, in which people commemorate the dead. They are all either before of major religious holidays, or after them. Such a holiday Tuesday after Easter week. This is called Radonitsa (from the word "радовать"(rejoice)). On this day, people go to the cemetery and bring painted eggs on the grave, so congratulations on Easter dead relatives (to rejoice them by news of the resurrection of Christ).

shione123 wrote:On Easter Sunday of this year, my mother's oldest brother died of a heart attack in the Bahamas. He was a fun-loving, sweetheart of a guy and he will be truly missed.
My grandma died on the second day of Easter, 8 years ago.
In Russia there is a belief that the death of a person during Easter week is a sign of the mercy of God, the soul of such person is adjudged to be in a good place. Of course it is a poor consolation ...

shione123

Post by shione123 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:00 am

Thanks Natalie. That does help a little. I still miss him very much, though.

kcsue

Post by kcsue » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:58 am

"You're an anachronism. You haven't the first idea how unforgiving this universe has become and I will not allow you to learn at my expense."

Tyr Anasazi

shione123

Post by shione123 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Thank you so much, kcsue. That was very sweet of of you. :)

kcsue

Post by kcsue » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:15 pm

You're more than welcome. :D
"You're an anachronism. You haven't the first idea how unforgiving this universe has become and I will not allow you to learn at my expense."

Tyr Anasazi

kcsue

Post by kcsue » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:41 am

I meant to ask about the fully stocked kitchen. Are there granite countertops and stainless steel appliances? :chef:

Tyr Anasazi

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:27 pm

kcsue wrote:I meant to ask about the fully stocked kitchen. Are there granite countertops and stainless steel appliances? :chef:

Yes, and the appliances are industrial sized. I would love one of those refrigerators with mineral water in the door.

Homemade rolls, anyone. Bread is one of my downfalls. Bad for my sugar, but soooo yummy.

From the look of things, I will need to do a laundry full of drool towels today. :wink:

How is everyone doing these days?

I'm doing okay, despite it turning into ragweed season.

I missed everyone but its hard to get here very often. I will do my best, though.

Have a great weekend, and week everybody. :beer:

kcsue

Post by kcsue » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:06 am

:coffee: Good to hear from you, ladybug! Take care. :)

Tyr Anasazi

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:13 pm

completely off-topic:

our beloved actor-fella posted a message at Twitter. A 7 year old African American girl with dreadlocks was told to either cut them off or be expelled from school.
Her dad did just the right thing: he made her change schools instead of hairstyles. The kid is a straight A+ pupil and these morons at her school made her cry.

CNN had a big article about it and the school promptly lifted the dreadlock ban - what a coincidence...
Here's the article: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/10/livin ... ar_twitter

I contacted CNN and they promised to get me into contact with the girl's representatives so that I could ask them for a forwarding address to which I could send a letter of moral support. Would you like to join? I think every 7 year old would love to get letters from all over the world. =) The more, the merrier :)

I think her dreads look pretty! Wish I had such lovely hair. Mine is about as curly as chives :noidea: