Signs of Spring

Tell about anything you are interested: foreign cultures, Pooh-Bear and everything else.

Moderators: FBI, D.Rabbit, Karin, Vee

sprinkles

Re: Signs of Spring

Post by sprinkles » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:16 am

Its is all good when you use it correctly. but I can't believe its not butter is the best IMHO. I use it for everything. :chef:

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:23 pm

It's been snowing here all day and I'm in a cookie baking mood. I think I'll make my good chocolate filled Peanut Butter cookies :) (with margarine and peanut butter)

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:05 pm

yay! The first signs of spring! I heard the first blackbird sing in the morning and I am in the mood for a spring cleaning (though the latter is maybe just a first sign of midlife crisis ;) )

Jun

Post by Jun » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi
We have spring here.
I put some photos of Japanese spring scenery on my blog. :D

http://tacci-junm.blogspot.com/

Restaurant, old town, apricot orchard, and so on.
月日は百代の過客にして行き交う歳もまた旅人なり

Lea

Post by Lea » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks Jun!

We have still plenty of snow here 8)
Attachments
winter.jpg
winter.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 20098 times

Jun

Post by Jun » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Wow ! Estonia is still in the winter :shock:

We had Haru-ichiban, the first gale blowing from the south in the spring, yesterday. It was very warm and we had + 20 C in temperature.
月日は百代の過客にして行き交う歳もまた旅人なり

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:20 pm

Apparently it is not spring in New York. I was watching the news this morning and they are snowed in. A lot of flights have been canceled. I sure hope Ashanti will be able to make it there safely.

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:35 am

Jun, thanks for beautiful photos. It really spring!

We instead of signs of spring for the present had a frost 27°C in last week end (I hope it there was last for this winter). :rolleyes:

But at us the cycle of spring holidays has begun: on February, 23rd there was "a day of the defender of fatherland" (at the time of Soviet Union it there was "a day of the Soviet army"). This holiday at us for a long time has already lost its militaristic meaning, and has turned to only occasion to congratulate all men and even little boys, and to present them small gifts. Something similar for "day of boys" in Japan + also "day of adult men".Image On visible the people simply require a similar holiday, therefore have thought up such for itself. :wink:

And in 2 weeks, on March, 8th we will celebrate an opposite holiday - when will congratulate all women. The majority of people at all will not recollect that it "the international day of struggle for the rights of women". Will simply give flowers to women and will celebrate the beginning of spring. :D

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:36 pm

It's official: winter is over. The first workcrew started to tear up the roads this week :mrgreen:

Jun

Post by Jun » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:52 pm

We have had flowers in last month.

http://tacci-junm.blogspot.com/2011/01/ ... st_23.html

Here is my blog but in this month we got winter again.
月日は百代の過客にして行き交う歳もまた旅人なり

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:51 am

Jun, thanks for beautiful photos. We still don't have any hint for the spring.

I very much liked photos of narcissuses. They grow in your places as wild-growing? The narcissuses similar these grew in our garden. They had very pleasant strong smell different from a smell of other narcissuses. But I bought bulbs in shop and specially planted them on a bed. That they haven't frozen, we covered them with fur-tree branches for the winter. But in one of severe winters they have perished all the same.

Incidentally, reading your blog I has found out mention about entertaining rock group Leningrad Cowboys. I have been very surprised to such title.Image Then I have read about them in Wikipedia. Including I have read about a film from which they have took a title. And I have been surprised even more. Image :lol:
Guys have kidded fine! Image Now I understand, why half of Europe is assured that Leningrad is allocated in Siberia. :mrgreen:

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:51 pm

time to resurrect this old thread :)
The last snow on my terrace melted yesterday and I took the chance to check if my plants survived the winter.
My peppermint is already 1/2 inch high (1,5 cm). The peonies are even twice as high.
The aquilegias have little leaves and even my old sage bush starts to get new branches.
Scillas and snowbells have leaves but no flowers yet.
My rosemary and my clematis look very bad, though. I keep them together in a huge bucket and had forgotten to make some holes for the water to drain off. Now the whole bucket was filled with melted snow, all the way up to the rim. I fear they both drowned.
Fortunately, I live only 100 yards / 100 m from the farmers market where I can get new plants in a few weeks :)

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 pm

We didn't even have that harsh of a winter this year and yet the roads are so full of potholes that I lost a hub cap off my car. :rolleyes:

People look like drunk drivers weaving around the streets trying to avoid the potholes. :lol:

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:51 pm

LOL I know exactly what you mean! I've been on the road with my hamster a lot, lately, and have started to rather take the small side roads as there's less traffic than on the main roads and I can evade the potholes without someone calling the cops to arrest me for drunk driving :D

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Well, I guess Spring will have to wait.

I woke up this morning and it is -25C with an expected 10c of snowfall. :shock: