Happy Birthday Keith!

Tell about anything you are interested: foreign cultures, Pooh-Bear and everything else.

Moderators: FBI, D.Rabbit, Karin, Vee

michael elizabeth

Happy Birthday Keith!

Post by michael elizabeth » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (78.51 KiB) Viewed 19201 times
You make 50 look good! :D
600-HB_Keith.JPG
600-HB_Keith.JPG (61.15 KiB) Viewed 19201 times
cdnet.myxer.com.jpg
cdnet.myxer.com.jpg (46.17 KiB) Viewed 19201 times

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Re: Happy Birthday Keith!

Post by mare_serenitatis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:43 pm

cool pics!! :)
Happy New Year to my favourite Nietzschean!

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:40 am

Mare, how are you? I heard in news on TV, a frost to 12 degrees in Germany. It is very unusual for you, be careful, dress more warmly.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:32 pm

don't worry, I am fine :) The internet says we have the same temperatures as you have in St Petersburg (-18°C last night, -10° at noon).
When I was a child, such temperatures were completely normal. Only the last 20 years we had such warm winters that we are no longer used to cold.
The coldest I experienced was -36°C and we went to school just like every day. Nowadays, when there is 10 cm snow they call it a catastrophy and at -10°C some schools close. It's crazy.
I wear warm woolen tights, a scarf and knitted gloves now. When temperatures drop below -20° I might add long underpants and a pair of hand-knitted socks.
My hamster doesn't take this winter seriousely: he already has his summer fur (but his mother is a siberian hamster, so maybe he is used to cold).

How are you in St Petersburg? In the news they said that there were several power failures and that you have a gas shortage.

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:59 pm

mare_serenitatis wrote:The internet says we have the same temperatures as you have in St Petersburg (-18°C last night, -10° at noon).
In Petersburg today was -17°C in the afternoon and -21°C at night. But it is normal for the Petersburg winter, we have got used to it.

mare_serenitatis wrote:I wear warm woolen tights, a scarf and knitted gloves now.
You are courageous! In such weather I wear two woollen leggingses, natural fur cap and boots with a natural fur undercoat.

mare_serenitatis wrote:In the news they said that there were several power failures and that you have a gas shortage.
I did not note a gas shortage, but electricity faults really happen often now. It happens because steam heating insufficiently, and people use many electroheaters that in apartments became warm. In houses old electrical networks, therefore do not withstand such load. Unfortunately in Russia it is an ubiquitous problem, and we already got used to it. I have battery-operated lantern and the candles placed on a shelf in a certain place so that it was possible to get easily it in the dark. My computer is connected to an electricity through uninterruptible power supply to safeguard it from breakdown.

Yesterday in my house there were some power failures for 2-3 minutes, and two days ago the electricity was disconnected within 1,5 hours. 10-15 years ago, it would bring less discomfort to us. But now we have only an electrical kettle and has already got accustomed to warm up food in a microwave. :rolleyes: :mrgreen: I had to search in the dark in a cupboard a suitable pot to boil water for tea on a gas cooker. :lol: We become more and more dependent on benefits of civilization. :lol:

My relatives living in the country are less choosy. They suffer from faults of a supply much more: in their village sometimes the electricity misses more than days. But in their house there is a wood furnace, and they always cook food on it. And for tea they always boil water in a samovar. Today they called by us to phone, worrying whether we feel chilly. :)

mare_serenitatis wrote:My hamster doesn't take this winter seriousely: he already has his summer fur
Pets normally change the wool more depending on temperature in the house. Often they start to shed hair in the winter because masters heat a location more strongly.

My cats now all time lie about an electroheater, and round them all carpet is soiled by wool.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 pm

heehee, I know that problem - my parents have a big dog and he sheds a few bags of wool every spring. It's very funny to watch when he sleeps in the sun and the birds sneak up to him to steal a bit of wool for their nests :D

-18°C is not so very cold by Bavarian standards. The last 25 years we had very warm winters but when I was a child, such a cold was completely normal. The coldest I ever experienced was -38°C. My dad says when my grandfather died in Winter 1963/64 they couldn't burry him because the ground was frozen and the snow almost 2 meters high. They had to keep him refrigerated until spring.

Today is warm: only -16 in the night and about -9° now at noon. It is snowing: big flakes, as light as feathers and very dry. They are so light that you don't need to brush them off the car. You can easily blow them off. (The children from the school next to my office spent their whole lunch break blowing snow off the cars at my office's parking lot - they had fun and my colleagues got clean cars).

The forecast says it will get much warmer the next days. For Thursday they predict even +6°!