Johnny Depp made honorary member of Comanche nation

Tell about anything you are interested: foreign cultures, Pooh-Bear and everything else.

Moderators: FBI, D.Rabbit, Karin, Vee

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Johnny Depp has been personally adopted by the founder of "Americans for Indian Opportunity". 8)

Actor adopted into Native American family ahead of his appearance as Tonto in a new adaptation of The Lone Ranger
"I had read about him and his Native American heritage so I said to my children around Mother's Day, 'Why don't we adopt him?'" Harris told the Chicago Tribune. "He was adopted into my family. The (Comanche Nation) chairman then recognised that adoption which made him an honorary member of the Comanche Nation tribe."

Deep was given a Comanche name, "Mah Woo May", which means shape shifter, a reference perhaps to his acting career. The nation is known, historically, as one of north America's most inclusive tribes, with adoptive members from various ethnicities having risen to positions of influence in the 19th century and beyond.
Not only that, but now his lucky second mother gets to receive mother's day cards every year from Johnny Depp! :lol:

SFG :mrgreen:
And the nightwind greets him like a lover;
Her cold fingers brush against his cheek
Then she chases papers down the street
Past doorways, where lovers meet
And huddle in the night
- Garnet Rogers

Sci-Fi Girl

Re: Johnny Depp made honorary member of Comanche nation

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Here's a picture of them together!
Johnny-Depp-and-LaDonna-H-008.jpg
Johnny-Depp-and-LaDonna-H-008.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 21169 times
Aww! :mrgreen:

SFG
And huddle in the night
- Garnet Rogers

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:53 pm

Johnny is another one of those fellas that never seem to age. :D

Great article, SFG. Thanks for sharing. :cheek:

Jun

Post by Jun » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:13 am

Thank you for that info.
That sounds wonderful.
月日は百代の過客にして行き交う歳もまた旅人なり

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:43 am

Your welcome!

It was such a nice story, I just had to share it. :)

SFG
And huddle in the night
- Garnet Rogers

shione123

Post by shione123 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks Sci-Fi Girl for this info. :) I have liked Johnny Depp since his 21 Jumpstreet days.

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:31 am

Also, here is a pic from the new Lone Ranger movie:
enhanced-buzz-wide-7057-1331226440-32 - cropped 2.jpg
enhanced-buzz-wide-7057-1331226440-32 - cropped 2.jpg (145.46 KiB) Viewed 21151 times
:hehe:

SFG

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:02 pm

It is amusing news! :)
Johnny Depp had always a soft corner in the heart for the fact of his origin from one of American Indian tribes. Apparently he is happy that he officially recognized as the Indian. I am glad that his dream came true.
:thumbup:
But I don't understand, why such difficult action to confirm his for a role of the Indian was necessary. The modern theatrical make-up is so perfect that it is possible even to make the Chinese of the Arab. What to speak about such small difference in appearance, as difference of the Indian from the European. I don't understand, why to play the Indian by all means it is necessary to be the Indian. :noidea:

However, amusing fact: He should act half-naked in film. How they are going to hide Jack Sparrow's tattoo and other his numerous tattoos? :mrgreen: In any case a lot of make-up is required. :lol:

Sci-Fi Girl, thank you for information.

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:38 am

Well, it's a matter of cultural sensitivity. This type of thing is controversial, and here's why. (I personally don't believe this particular example to be offensive, and I'll get to that in a minute. But it does bring attention to the wider issue, and I also think that was intentional on Johnny's part. :) )

The fact is, there is a very long history of racism in this country. One of the ways that has manifested over the years, is unrealistic portrayals in the media. Minorities are often ignored in fiction, and when they do show up they are often overly simplified characters, or stereotypes.

For decades, most races in movies were played by white actors. They were painted dark to look arab, or red for indians, or with slanted eyes for chinese. One result of this (or probably the cause) was that only white actors were ever hired, if you weren't white, you didn't get to be an actor. (Minorities were excluded from most other high paying or "important" jobs too.) But another result was that these actors played their characters how they thought those people would act or think or experience life, without really knowing at all. This only served to increase stereotypes, and add to the misunderstandings between people in society.

The other thing is that minorities were often intentionally played in insulting ways, by racist filmmakers, writers, and actors. They might be played as idiots, or villains, but rarely as the hero or central character. In some ways that persists today, as it became ingrained in our society. We now have actors of many ethnic backgrounds (though not as many as we probably could), but they are often stuck playing stereotypical roles, like the "angry black man".

The most extreme form of insulting portrayals in the past, was "blackface". This was where white people would paint their faces with black paint. It was not meant to look real, it was meant to be an exaggeration. This was for the sole purpose of mocking black people, playing them as comically stupid and foolish, for comedic effect.

Blackface is now seriously taboo, and anything resembling it is considered seriously offensive. Unless the point of the story is to point out that such things are offensive. This, I believe, is what Johnny Depp has in mind here.

Native Americans have been persecuted in this country ever since white people arrived here. Those that weren't slaughtered were removed from their ancestral lands, and forced to live on whatever parcels of land that no-one else wanted. Then they were robbed of their culture. Their children were taken away and taught to act and think like white people, in an attempt to remove what made them who they were.

Native Americans were here first, this was their home, but when Europeans wanted to settle the land, first they had to get rid of the people who were already living there. When any Native Americans fought to defend what was rightfully theirs, they were only treated as villains to be feared, or thought to kill for the sake of killing. In almost every story of "Cowboys and Indians", the Indians were savages and bad guys, to be feared and killed.

While the occasional character was allowed to be not evil, it was still not very flattering. For example, in the original Lone Ranger, Tonto was the sidekick, not the hero. He was probably twice as capable as the Lone Ranger himself, but Tonto got none of the credit, he was only there to follow the hero around and say flattering things.

This is where Johnny Depp comes in. :)

Here is an article where he explains his look in the film, and also his take on the character:

Johnny Depp reveals origins of Tonto makeup from 'The Lone Ranger' -- EXCLUSIVE
For his part, Depp has said his motivation to play the character came from disliking how Tonto was relegated to subservience in the old Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels TV series. While the look may not be historically authentic, Depp wants Tonto’s character to be honorable and self-reliant.

“The whole reason I wanted to play Tonto is to try to [mess] around with the stereotype of the American Indian that has been laid out through history, or the history of cinema at the very least — especially Tonto as the sidekick, The Lone Ranger’s assistant,” Depp told EW. “As you’ll see, it’s most definitely not that.”
Personally, I knew this would be his approach to the role, as soon as I thought about the controversy. Because I know his sense of humor, I know he does not use stereotypes to mock people, but instead mocks the stereotype itself, and the fact that it exists. He takes what the audience, and society expect, and turns it on it's head, instead delivering something unexpected for comedic effect. He provides a parody of the stereotypes that we are used to seeing. This is why I am very looking forward to this movie. :)

So while it is true that there are not enough fully authentic Native people in film roles, this movie is simply addressing different aspects of the issue, not ignoring it. And I think it's going to be a lot of fun in the process. :mrgreen:

SFG

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:42 am

By the way, many schoolbooks try to sanitize the origins of this country. They portray happy meetings between pilgrims and natives, or they simply ignore all the brutality and killing that was involved in acquiring the land that I and my neighbors now live on. We celebrate Columbus day, as a hero for "discovering" America, ignoring the fact that he committed massive genocide when he got here, all in a quest for gold.

We say America stands for freedom and equality for everyone, but for a long time that only applied to white men. Equality has always been a goal, more than an achievement, one we are still working towards today, always in new and different ways.

As for my part, I can't change the past and how we came to be in this country, but I can respect the Native Americans who are still here today.

Here is another article, where Johnny talks in more depth about his perspective on Native Americans. This one is a really good article, you might want to read the whole thing. It's definitely more on the serious side:

Johnny Depp on 'The Lone Ranger'
“I remember watching it as a kid, with Jay Silverheels and Clayton Moore, and going: ‘Why is the f—ing Lone Ranger telling Tonto what to do?’” Depp tells EW, recalling the 1949-1957 TV show, which was seen decades longer in reruns. “I liked Tonto, even at that tender age, and knew Tonto was getting the unpleasant end of the stick here. That’s stuck with me. And when the idea came up [for the movie], I started thinking about Tonto and what could be done in my own small way try to — ‘eliminate’ isn’t possible — but reinvent the relationship, to attempt to take some of the ugliness thrown on the Native Americans, not only in The Lone Ranger, but the way Indians were treated throughout history of cinema, and turn it on its head.”
SFG

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 am

On a lighter note, he explains about the inspiration for his look in the film. It was apparently inspired by a particular painting: :)

Johnny Depp reveals origins of Tonto makeup from 'The Lone Ranger' -- EXCLUSIVE
8635962_600x338.jpg
8635962_600x338.jpg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 21128 times

And on an even sillier note, he said this about the crow on his head: :lol:

Allow Johnny Depp to explain why Tonto will look like that in The Lone Ranger
Depp says Sattler's painting also inspired the character's most talked-about aspect, with Depp taking the original's depiction of a crow flying behind its subject and, in due Depp course, fashioning it into a hat. "I thought: Tonto’s got a bird on his head," Depp says, echoing every single person who saw the photo, as well as every future audience member for the entire running time of The Lone Ranger. And of course, it was not as simple as putting a dead bird on his head without some sort of actor-y justification, because that would be silly: " It’s his spirit guide in a way," Depp concludes. "It’s dead to others, but it’s not dead to him. It’s very much alive.” It remains to be seen whether this is merely the ever-unspooling back story Depp has invented for himself, or fair warning that Depp's crow hat will be offering him wisecracking counsel.
It's almost certainly the former, but ROTFL!!! :lol:

SFG

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:11 am

it's rather ironic for a part-Cherokee to be made a honorary Comanche. After all, these two tribes fought pretty badly when the Cheroke were 'relocated' into Comanche territory by the Indian Removal Act of 1830.

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:30 am

^ Time to work together?

Here's some more cool stuff. The pictures from this article are so sweet! 8)

While the movie was being filmed on Navajo land, Navajo leaders came and visited the set, to express their support and meet with the actors and filmmakers.

Johnny Depp Meets Navajo Leaders as Tonto

Depp "was very gracious and respectful, along with very patient with picture taking," President Shelly told ET, adding, "It was a great honor and privilege to meet Johnny Depp and filmmaker Jerry Bruckheimer. We are honored the movie The Lone Ranger is being filmed here on the Navajo Nation. The Navajo Nation has beautiful landscape and we are glad it is being shared through filmmaking."
640_the_lone_ranger_DSC08947.JPG
640_the_lone_ranger_DSC08947.JPG (72.19 KiB) Viewed 21105 times
640_the_lone_ranger_DSC08964.JPG
640_the_lone_ranger_DSC08964.JPG (64.78 KiB) Viewed 21105 times
In the second pic it looks like he is wearing the Pendleton blanket they presented him with. 8)

SFG

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Sci-Fi Girl wrote:^ Time to work together?
Depp "was very gracious and respectful, along with very patient with picture taking," President Shelly told ET, adding, "It was a great honor and privilege to meet Johnny Depp and filmmaker Jerry Bruckheimer. We are honored the movie The Lone Ranger is being filmed here on the Navajo Nation. The Navajo Nation has beautiful landscape and we are glad it is being shared through filmmaking."
640_the_lone_ranger_DSC08947.JPG
Holy cow! Look at those profiles! It's not just that they look like they could be brothers, but the expression of Depp's mouth shows that he's doing some serious work on his accent. Impressive!

I agree that it's time to work together, among the tribes and between the tribes and the descendents of those who came later and took so much. The opportunity I had was during the National Veterans Golden Age Games some years ago. The Seminole honor guard danced the flag in, and I had tears in my eyes as they passed. Then, during the Pow Wow, I stood on the sidelines, sniffling because I couldn't dance when they invited us to dance, due to my rollator (walking assistive device). Then another woman veteran danced by, pulling her rollator along, and I joined the dance! Talk about drying every tear!

Anyway, I'm all for learning about the lives of others to drive away ignorance, and I believe that's exactly what Depp is doing.
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live http://emmaglitch.com/

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:11 am

Sci-Fi Girl, thank you for very interesting detailed explanation. I never saw films about 'The Lone Ranger' therefore a lot of things from this wasn't known to me.

I got my conception of Native Americans in the childhood from books of Mayne Reid, Fenimore Cooper, Jack London, and from German films with Goyko Mitich's participation.

Gojko Mitich not only isn't the Native American, but even was born absolutely in other part of the world - he is Serbian. But his magnificent acting convinced the audience what exactly the real Indian should be such. His portrayal not only isn't insulting, but even too heroic. Though the majority of these roles - supporting roles, he looks even more romantically, than the protagonist. I don't know, how correctly he portrayed the Native American, but he portrayed very beautifully. :love2:

In general at the time of my childhood in Russia Native Americans were very romaticized. Children became engrossed in reading of novels about Indians, played Indians, drew Indians. I remember, we drew strip soot on the faces, stuck feathers in hair, made bows of branches. We gave names of mustangs to the bicycles and rushed by country roads with wild shouts "Hau, hau!". :lol: We climbed into "a wood thicket" (which usually was in a forest belt about the near highway or in bushes of city park) and built there shelters of branches. We hunted imagined deer and bisons, and then fried on a campfire the sausages taken from home. :lol: :dreamy: I grew, but I still has peculiar fond attitude to these folk.