signs of global warming

Tell about anything you are interested: foreign cultures, Pooh-Bear and everything else.

Moderators: FBI, D.Rabbit, Karin, Vee

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

signs of global warming

Post by mare_serenitatis » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:22 pm

for quite a while I've noticed an invasion of tiny silverish moths with chocolate-coloured freckles. They are actually quite pretty but the sheer numbers of them make them a nuissance. I haven't found their source yet but they seem interested in my homemade pickles.
Tonight I finally got around to determine the exact species and to my surprise it turned out to be the Mediterranean Flour Moth (Ephestia kuehniella).

A Mediterranean species that far up north? (And why are there none in my flour and a lot of them near my gherkin jars??)

This isn't the first mediterranean species to show up in my area. Abouth 15 years ago I found a snake that was believed to live only south of the Alps. (I found it some 100 miles north of these mountains), and in recent years a mediterranean spider that bites pretty painfully has begun to spread over Bavaria and Austria. In the Danube river there are Sunfish and red-eared sliders, both species native to the southern US, and goldfish can be found in almost every creek and river. 2 years ago the Round Goby, a fish native to the Caspian Sea showed up in the Danube river, and a decade ago we got invaded by crayfish and shrimps from the Black Sea and cockles from China.

All these invaders shouldn't be able to survive in our cold climate. However, they not only thrive but spread. Makes you wonder how long it'll be till we can grow our own coconuts in Bavaria.

Are there similar tendencies in your countries? I saw on TV yesterday that there is a farmer in southern England who successfully grows darjeeling tea!

Natalie 9

Re: signs of global warming

Post by Natalie 9 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:04 am

I heard that already many scientists deny approach of a global warming. The last researches of polar ices showed that long-term changes of temperature have regularities of fluctuations, and now tend to a global cooling. According to these researches, now we move to small ice age. Some warming of climate which was observed last years, already comes to an end, and further there will be a cooling. These scientists so speak. Image
mare_serenitatis wrote:I saw on TV yesterday that there is a farmer in southern England who successfully grows darjeeling tea!
It not so surprises me. I heard about many cases of cultivation of the southern vegetables and ornamental plants in northern latitudes: in Moscow area, in Siberia and even behind a polar circle. But I am not sure that the reason of it a climate warming, instead of gradual acclimatization of plants. For example some gardeners grow up grapes and water-melons in Moscow area and near Petersburg many years. And even there are some people who are growing up tomatoes in a polar region.

However migration of the southern wild animals to more northern territories really surprises. I observe some years the surprising fact: on the small river near to my house bald-coots (Fulica atra) located. Never before I saw here such birds. They annually grow up baby birds. And the last 2 years some birds even wintered here.

Besides, I too notice some insects whom before wasn't in these parts. All near gardens are exhausted by large grape snails who lived before only in the southern regions of Russia. They survived even in a forty-degree frost in the winter before last.

And still, I heard on the TV, people on the Pacific coast of Russia are frightened of emergence near the coast of several thermophilic sharks which didn't swim away before so far to the north.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:45 pm

It is similar here in Eastern Bavaria. When I was a child there was only one place where we had grape snails and we children were totally in awe of these huge animals. Now they are all over the country.
Bald coots (Fulica atra) are very common here. I have seen some in Britain and even in California. I had no idea that they normally don't like cold areas. In winter the temperatures in Bavaria easily hit -30°C.
However, they eat water insects and water plants and these would avoid cold areas and only spread when it gets warmer.

Do you also have worse thunderstorms now? When I wasa child we used to have a small one almost every afternoon in summer. But now we have them in the nights, about 2-3 times per week and they are much stronger than they used to be. Also, we have less rainy days now but when it rains, there is much more water as would be normal. And we have a lot of hailstorms now, 2-3 per month. When I was a child we had 2-3 per year.

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm

I don't think that now we have more thunder-storms and rains, than were before. In Petersburg always there were many rains. Some even believe that Petersburg - the most rainy city of the world. :) In Petersburg it is considered normal, if the majority of days of summer rainy. Even if a third of summer days without a rain is already it is considered well. Often rains go within a week or two almost without breaks, and it is normal for Petersburg. But if within a week there is a clear weather - we already are surprised. :rolleyes:

However some of very strong storms unusual to our places were real within the last three years. There was the strong storm which has tumbled down many trees and constructions last summer. Some people became victims of accidents and the electricity was long disconnected in many areas. Such weather cataclysms are a little unusual to Petersburg in the summer.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 pm

with that much rain you must have wonderful lawns, like in Britain :)