Hurricane Sandy hits New Jersey & NYC, Sprinkles you OK??

Tell about anything you are interested: foreign cultures, Pooh-Bear and everything else.

Moderators: FBI, D.Rabbit, Karin, Vee

Sci-Fi Girl

Hurricane Sandy hits New Jersey & NYC, Sprinkles you OK??

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 pm

I heard it's pretty bad. Sprinkles, let us know you're OK! Do you have power?

Who else do we have in that part of the east coast?

SFG :bighug:
And the nightwind greets him like a lover;
Her cold fingers brush against his cheek
Then she chases papers down the street
Past doorways, where lovers meet
And huddle in the night
- Garnet Rogers

Ashanti

Re: Hurricane Sandy hits New Jersey & NYC, Sprinkles you OK?

Post by Ashanti » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 pm

I heard from Sprinks yesterday lunch time and she said she was going to stay indoors and wait for Sandy to pass...fingers crossed things didn't get too rough in her neck of the woods.

Keith and his folks live in that general area. Luckily he's in FL at the moment so not in harm's way and as far as his parents go, they live outside of NYC so all is well on that front as far as I know.
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

shione123

Post by shione123 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:56 am

I'm glad they are all out of harm's way. I hope Sprinkles fared well during this horrible storm.

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:23 am

Very glad you heard from Sprinks! :)

I did think of Keith in Florida. It's weird avoiding a hurricane by going to Florida!

This was a wollop of a storm, and it's not gone yet. And the damage was not isolated.

8 million people are without power in 17 states, 2 million of those are in NY. 90 percent of Long Island has no power. New York City's subway was flooded and is out of commision, as is Wall Street, and portions of the Atlantic City boardwalk are gone.

Further inland was spared the worst, but we did get wind. The great lakes are pouring over their banks too, causing damage in Ohio and other places. The Hudson Valley has had significant power outages too, and also flooding in the southern parts. The winds blowing from south to north pushed the storm surge up the Hudson River from the coast, so some towns very near the river or it's tributaries had their share of the flooding as well.

The whole thing is just not pretty. Stay safe everyone!!

SFG
And huddle in the night
- Garnet Rogers

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:22 pm

Sci-Fi Girl wrote:I did think of Keith in Florida. It's weird avoiding a hurricane by going to Florida!
I know that was a little ironic, wasn't it? But hey, whatever it takes to stay safe!!! :wink:
This was a wollop of a storm, and it's not gone yet. And the damage was not isolated.
You're right, it really was. Luckily enough, all of my friends in the area didn't suffer any serious damage which faced with this kind of extreme conditions, was quite amazing really.

Hope things go back to normal as soon as possible for all those who were in Sandy's path.
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:46 pm

Sci-Fi Girl, I'm glad you escaped the danger. On TV shows the terrible pictures of the devastation of the hurricane. :shock: I hope Sprinkles all right too. She never comes here for 3 days, I guess they had electricity cut off. I hope, the only problem in this. Image

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks Natalie. We were definitely spared, but people here were prepared for the worst after last year's Irene destroyed two towns near me, and caused lots of other damage. (My town was OK, it's where the national guard brought everyone they rescued.) So people were pretty nervous this time. We mostly got wind, and I heard a lot of sirens, but nothing really bad happened.

It seems the coast has had the most damage, from both flooding and wind, particularly the towns closest to the shore. I hope Sprinkles and her family are not too close to the ocean.

Here is a thread at Ex Isle discussing the storm, including people who live near the damage.

SFG
And huddle in the night
- Garnet Rogers

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Sci-Fi Girl, thanks for the link. The first thing I read this thread even 3 days ago. Sometimes I look at the site "exisle" to learn about what is happening.

I wish you all stay safe. :bighug:

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 am

:alien: Hi everyone, thanks you'll so much for caring we are okay well as good as we can bein this situation. As you'll know I had nocomputer tv phone power for a while it actually came back on today at about 3PM. but I was lucky I got lights and heat back on Wednesday evening. I was grateful for that at least. we had enormous flooding for thse who wish to see my area I live in Hackensack New Jersey in the bergen County area. you can if you want look up the damages on the computer we still have allot of power outage but thing are coming back slowly. I havent been to work for a week. we had no buses or trains it was crazy no stores open and the one that were had no dairy products like eggs milk meat so many people had to throw everything out in the freezers and frig,that si where I was lucky thanks to God my frig was only out over night. but we are all okay the grands, and the rest of my family,and friends are good. Allot still have no power.

I am glad I was able to finally get back online to let you'll know I am okay.

(((HUGS))))

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:31 am

((((((((((Sprinkles)))))))))) So glad to hear you're OK, and your family and grandkids! :)

How close were you to the flooding? I'm glad you're safe and dry!

SFG

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey my inNOcent sista, so glad you guys are all alright after Sandy!!!!! :cow: :alien: :bounce:

Give a big kiss to the little tykes for me, and please continue to keep us updated.

:bighug: :bighug: Sprinks :bighug: :bighug:

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Well this is me on yourright and my Daughter n the left, on the night of my birthday before Sandy tried to take us out, but we are tough. I was dressed up as a Diva from the 70's, my Daughter was Rizzo from the movie Grease. It was fun

So as you see I am really okay.

How do you guys like the huge afro I purchased from party city Lol!!! :alien:

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Sprinkles :bighug: I'm so glad, that's all right with you and your family! I was worried.

fantasia

Post by fantasia » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:08 am

Hi all!
I'm happy to hear that everyone who has checked in is okay. Today was my first day back to work.
We have power on my job, but no hot water or heat. I don't know when that will be fixed. As far as my home, I was blessed. No damage and no loss of power. We have another storm headed our way on Wednesday though. This has to be the worst news for people who have been without so much since last Monday.

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:32 pm

(((((fantasia))))) Glad you are alright, and great that you have no damage! :)

I heard about that new storm too, let's hope it fizzles out and is not too bad. (We can hope, right? ;) )

SFG :bighug:
And huddle in the night
- Garnet Rogers