Boris Strugatsky has died

Tell about anything you are interested: foreign cultures, Pooh-Bear and everything else.

Moderators: FBI, D.Rabbit, Karin, Vee

Natalie 9

Boris Strugatsky has died

Post by Natalie 9 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:39 am

Boris Strugatsky has died - the last of two brothers, who wrote under the pen name Brothers Strugatsky. They were the greatest of Russian science-fiction writers (IMHO).
http://www.examiner.com/article/russian ... atsky-dies

Here the English version of the official site of Brothers Strugatsky.
http://abs.ncbase.com/?page_id=2
In addition to a brief biographies of the writers there are texts of several books on English.

Here the old English version of this site.
http://rusf.ru/abs/english/index.htm
Here is the more detailed information, and you can free download some more books on English. Including the most famous: "Roadside Picnic".

shione123

Re: Boris Strugatsky has died

Post by shione123 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks for the information, Natalie.

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 pm

You're very welcome! I'm glad, if someone else knows about my favorite writer.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:09 am

I must admit that I have never heard of them, but our countries ahve been isolated from each other for many decades, due to the iron curtain. I shall try to get a few of their books.
I love foreign science fiction. The different cultural background often results in interesting and new topics.

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:44 am

May he also RIP

Natalie 9

Post by Natalie 9 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm

mare_serenitatis wrote:I must admit that I have never heard of them, but our countries ahve been isolated from each other for many decades, due to the iron curtain.
This was not only because of the iron curtain. In Russia it was hard to get their books for many years too. They were persecuted in the 70-80-ies years and many of their books were banned.
I first got the book Strugatsky from my friends. Books it was made in secret from the computer printouts.
Only in the 90-ies the persecution ended, and the books were published. Some books were published abroad before in Russia.

mare_serenitatis wrote:I shall try to get a few of their books.
I think you get the pleasure of reading these books. Unfortunately I don't know, are there any of their books in German. If you read in English well, you could download some books here:
http://rusf.ru/abs/english/index.htm

You can start with the book "Poor cruel folk". This is a short but powerful novella. It is only a few pages.

Be sure to read "Roadside Picnic". This is one of the most famous of their books. If by chance you have seen Tarkovsky's movie "Stalker" (allegedly staged on the motives of the novel), then forget about it. Actually the movie is only remote resemblance to the book. The book is much more interesting, splendid and multi-faceted.

"The Final Circle of Paradise" in the original is called "Хищные вещи века"(Predatory things of the century). It is surprisingly topical book, in spite of the fact, that was written in the 60-ies. This book opens a question of the principal causes of drug addiction.

Some books are connected in a single series, united by the one place of action - the fantastic world of the future. This is approximately the same as various films and TV series "Star Trek" are connected.
These books:
The Land of Crimson Clouds
The Way to Amalthea
Noon, 22nd Century
Space Apprentice
Escape Attempt
Far Rainbow
Hard to be a God
Prisoners of Power
The Space Mowgli
The Kid from Hell
A Beetle in an Anthill
The Time Wanderers

The book "The Time Wanderers" is the final book of the series. So I think that it is not worth read it before you read at least some of the previous books of this series.

I hope You enjoy. If You read something from the books of the Strugatsky brothers, please write, how did you like it. I am very interested in Your opinion.