welcome Morthland

Tell us hello and introduce yourself :)

Moderator: IrisD

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:08 pm

my BF is even afraid to lurk here LOL. I've been trying to talk him into registering but he's scared.
War doesn't decide who is right. It only decides who is left.

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:59 pm

Lol!!! afraid of little ole us hehe

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:47 pm

he's convinced that nobody likes him and therefore he never even tries to get into contact with others. The only place he posts is TrollKingdom. :rolleyes:

Cyowari

Post by Cyowari » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:36 pm

D.Rabbit wrote:The fact that this circle is populated by mature Muses for the most part, is a challenge to anyone venturing on to the board. It's probably why this board tends to be on the quiet side.
That and Keith not working full time in the public eye too.
If - OOOPS! SORRY! - when the last said reason will change, maybe we should start a sheltered reservation for old age hard core fans, something with the motto "semper fidelis".
Then up he rose, and donn'd his clothes, / And dupp'd the chamber-door;
Let in the maid, that out a maid / Never departed more.
Hamlet, Act IV, Sc. V

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:38 pm

heehee, I like that :thumbup:

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:01 am

mare_serenitatis wrote:he's convinced that nobody likes him and therefore he never even tries to get into contact with others. The only place he posts is TrollKingdom. :rolleyes:
No wonder he has an inferiority complex, TK is just the place to make sure ya never feel good about yourself.

At least that's the way I read the comments that they try to shoot me down with. I know that demoralization is the norm over there, so I egg them on!
"semper fidelis"
How about a spa rather then a reserve?

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:43 pm

oooooohhhhh, you gave me an idea. What this board needs is a pool party (with at least 3 Keith clones ;) )

Cyowari

Post by Cyowari » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:48 am

mare_serenitatis wrote:What this board needs is a pool party (with at least 3 Keith clones ;) )
... and a bikini-able avatar for me! :rolleyes:
Hamlet, Act IV, Sc. V

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:34 pm

heehee, Shakespeare in a bikini would make my day :mrgreen:

Cyowari

Post by Cyowari » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:27 am

Morthland wrote: I gather the economy is doing well in Germany - how are you all doing, Mare and Iris, et al?
This morning, when I read my newspaper, I was reminded of this post.

On one page there was an article about luxury prams that cost about 2000 EURO (≈ 2620 US $).

On another page I read that the average German employee has a smaller net income than in 2000.

On another page there was an article about construction workers who had got an hourly wage of 1,48 EURO (≈ 1.31 US $).

And on still another page I read about children who live on income support.
Singles get up to 345 EURO (≈ 452 US $) a month plus subsidies for rent and heating plus social security fees. If there is a husband/wife he/she gets up to 311 EURO (≈ 407 US $). Children under 15 get up to 207 EURO (≈ 271 US $), from 15 to 18 276 EURO (≈ 362 US $), over 18 311 EURO (≈ 407 US $). More than 3 Mill. Germans get income support because they have a small or no income/property. 1 Euro = 1,31 US $ (today).

That means that a child may have (arithmetically)
- 1 slice of bread, a bit of margarine or a slice of cheese for breakfast
- a few fish fingers and a handful of vegetables for lunch.
Many children go to all-day schools where they have to pay 2,50 – 3 EURO (≈ 3.28 – 3.94 US $) a day for their lunch. If the parents cannot afford that these children have to go without lunch or depend on philanthropic donations.

When you form an opinion about that keep in mind that Germany is one of the leading and richest industrial and commercial countries in the world.

I think it’s a dirty shame what we are doing to our children. An adult can always manage somehow if he/she really tries. But children just need more: schoolbooks and materials, new shoes and clothes because they are growing fast; they want to join in the school outings etc.
Hamlet, Act IV, Sc. V

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:35 pm

Canada the second best country in the world to live in, has the same problem with children going to school hungry. I don't know why other then the fact that their parents are clueless when it comes to budgets and always seem to have enough smokes and beers in the fridge.
This amounts to child abuse, if one's bad habits are depriving your children. Still the child welfare safety net tends to hold back unless the child is being physically abused. Which to me, starving your kids is physical abuse.

Still both rich countries, have child poverty, while their GNP boarders on obscene.

Then again, we let the 3rd world suffer, so people can buy fancy baby buggies for their little darlings too.

It's an ugly world, but it's getting better, very slowly. Since I started to volunteer at the Teach Centre I have learned a few of the things our society does for the poor. The food bank days and hours are posted on the wall, and there is also a deal that for a small amount you can buy a lot of food, that is, if you have a way of picking it up. The TC is working on ways to deliver the food to people too. It's volunteer work and all about community care.

There is more going on then the paper reports, one just has to dig a little.
Unconditional Love is all you need.

Osiris Under Glass