New feature

(Questions, notes, suggestions)

Moderator: IrisD

shall the smilies on top of the threads remain or should m_s try to edit them out?

delete them, they are annoying
100%
keep them, they are ok
No votes

Total votes: 5

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

New feature

Post by mare_serenitatis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:06 pm

I installed a new feature that might come handy:

At the top of the page where all the buttons are, you'll find a new one: "Contact Management"

If you click it, a control panel opens that offers you several possibilities:
  • * Buddies: create a list of your favourite people. If you like, you can get notified when they log on.
    * Ignoring: people who's existence you wish to forget. Users you put on this list can not contact you and all their posts are hidden from your view. You can not see them on the "who is online" list either.
    * Disallowing: is similar to the ignore list. People from this list may not contact you. However, you will still be able to see their posts.
With these 3 buttons you can add single users
The 5th button: "Add New Contacts" allows you to add several users at once to one of these 3 lists.

Button #4: Buddy Of shows you who has you on their buddy list.

The whole thing is very nicely explained in the Programme's FAQs (6th button).

Please mind that the Contact Management Programme is case-sensitive. If you are uncertain about the spelling of a username, click on "find a username". It will help you to find the user you are looking for.

Enjoy :)

=====================

PS:
On top of each thread, you'll find 3 smilies :) :| :( for every single poster in that thread that allow you to add the respective user to either of your 3 lists (or to remove them) without using the Contact Management panel. The names will show up when you move the mouse over the smilies.
I'm sorry, these smilies take up a lot of space. If you like, I can try to remove them, but I am not sure if I'll succeed.

D.Rabbit

Re: New feature

Post by D.Rabbit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Before I vote I want to give you a chance to tweak the new feature.
I don't care for the way that the 3 icons per poster repeat. I'm thinking that one set per poster per page would be better, we have 15 posts per page and that means they will stack up 15 deep when only 3 or 4 members are participating in the thread.
mare_serenitatis wrote: * Buddies: create a list of your favourite people. If you like, you can get notified when they log on.
This brings up the subject of privacy, since we can not be invisible on this board....I think there are a few people who will object to this feature. Doesn't bother me.
* Ignoring: people who's existence you wish to forget. Users you put on this list can not contact you and all their posts are hidden from your view. You can not see them on the "who is online" list either.
Is this board wide or venue to venue? I don't think the moderators should be putting anyone on the ignore list. IMHO
* Disallowing: is similar to the ignore list. People from this list may not contact you.
Is this set up so that members can not disallow moderators contacting them? Not a good feature if a mod can't ask a member to cool it.

Thank you for adding new features to the board, your work is appreciated. However, can you tell I've been hanging out in AQG at Ex Isles reading all the threads where people voice their objections to some of these features?
Unconditional Love is all you need.

Osiris Under Glass

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:46 pm

I'll do the replies in the same order as the questions but leave the questions away to make this post shorter, ok?

Sorry, I don't think I can make it so that it's only one set per poster. That'd mean to rewrite the hack completely and the risk of making a mistake is too high. That's why I suggested removing them alltogether. They would still be on the member list and in every member's profile.

D, if you go into your profile, you'll see that there is an option: show my online status yes/no. By clicking no you can make yourself invisible. It has always been there, being a standard feature of phpBB.

As you can read in the FAQ, the invisibility given by the buddy list hack is board wide. If you put a person on ignore you can neither see their posts nor receive PMs or emails sent within the board.
I agree that staff members should rather not put people on ignore, in case they need help. But as we have been using the ignore posts button for months now without the slightest problems, this shouldn't be a big issue. And whether you reply to a PM or rather delete it unread has always been an option, too. So basically, this new hack changes nothing.

In the original hack, disallowing and ignoring were possible for every normal member but it was not possible to block an Admin or Mod. I just edited the programme so that users can ignore admins now as well (in case I get involved with another flame war). Thank you :cheek: for bringing this one to my attention. I would have overlooked it completely if not for your enthusiastic assistance. :thumbup:
But - as already said above - every member has always been able to chose to delete messages from a staff member unread.

I consider the situation here to be very different from ExIsle as this is a private board with only about 10 active users who, I trust, are all mature enough to use the technical possibilities of this board responsibly and reasonably.

I believe it is *exactly* this new feature that will help to cool down heated discussions. If you don't notice your opponent, you have no reason to be pissed.

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:31 pm

In the original hack, disallowing and ignoring were possible for every normal member but it was not possible to block an Admin or Mod. I just edited the programme so that users can ignore admins now as well (in case I get involved with another flame war).
Then what is the point of having moderators if they can not keep the peace?
What are you trying to do Mare, make it is so anyone can come on and be evil to anyone else, spout their hate messages, extol on their bigotry as long as they block all the admins and mods from asking them to play nice?

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:33 pm

no, what I am doing is I'm trying to give members who want to post in peace and have some fun the opportunity to do exactly this, without having to deal with flame wars and annoying or controversial posts. As I pointed out repeatedly, that's something we all were already able to do, using the ignore button.

However, Moderators can only moderate conflicts in the forums. If the opponents continued their war behind the scene, there was no way to prevent it, until now.

This new feature offers a possibility to keep people from harrassing other members via PM. I am sure everyone will apprectiate this. In fact, you use this feature yourself. What better advertizing could there be for the use of this new feature? Quite obviousely it fits your needs and preferences perectly.

It's really sweet of you to play the unpopular role of Devil's Advocate but I fear all these what-ifs lead us a little off-topic and away from the technical aspects.
Do you mind if I split this discussion off into a thread about the ethics of the new hack?
War doesn't decide who is right. It only decides who is left.

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:48 am

Ethics? you have got to be kidding me.

Just make it a pole so we can see what the other members think of members blocking the Mods and admin's PMs.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:06 pm

a pole :?: *is puzzled* Oh, a poll :!:
Feel free to start one, but I think if the other members were interested in this discussion they would already have participated in it here in this thread. I'm afraid we bore them to death.

And I'd never dare to try kidding you. :worship:
;)

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:28 am

Mare so far 5 members have asked that you kill this new feature.

IMHO I think it's about time it was gone, cause it's really starting to annoy me.

If you would return the board back to normal as it gets, that would be sweet.

Thank you for your efforts in trying to find improvements. Please don't let this failed one discourage you from more experiments in the future.

Lea

Post by Lea » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:09 pm

mare_serenitatis wrote:And whether you reply to a PM or rather delete it unread has always been an option, too. So basically, this new hack changes nothing.

In the original hack, disallowing and ignoring were possible for every normal member but it was not possible to block an Admin or Mod. I just edited the programme so that users can ignore admins now as well (in case I get involved with another flame war).
I don't think this editing was a good idea. As you told by yourself, it is always possible to not reply or even to delete a PM unread, and I would strongly prefer if users would use that option instead of blocking.

And actually I would like if everybody would get along well with eachother. Most of time all the regular members have appeared to be friends and I'm happy about that.

Best wishes,
Lea.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:13 pm

true, Lea but on the other hand all flames stopped since I installe the feature. I can't tell you how much I enjoy the peace and quiet (btw, I am blocking nobody), and I suppose so do D and Pensive.

{{{{{D}}}}} I'll gladly kill the smilies asap. Please bear with them another 48 hours - my mom will visit me tomorrow and so I came online today only for a minute to delete the spammers. I promise I'll kill the smilies Thursday evening (my time)

Cyowari

Post by Cyowari » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:24 pm

mare_serenitatis wrote: true, Lea but on the other hand all flames stopped since I installe the feature. I can't tell you how much I enjoy the peace and quiet (btw, I am blocking nobody), and I suppose so do D and Pensive.
And others too :wink:
mare_serenitatis wrote: my mom will visit me tomorrow and so I came online today only for a minute to delete the spammers. I promise I'll kill the smilies Thursday evening (my time)
Regards to your mom! Must be a nice woman - she has raised a remarkable daughter.
Then up he rose, and donn'd his clothes, / And dupp'd the chamber-door;
Let in the maid, that out a maid / Never departed more.
Hamlet, Act IV, Sc. V

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:27 pm

*blush* naaaah I am chaotic, untidy, always tired and overweight.

Cyowari

Post by Cyowari » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:30 pm

mare_serenitatis wrote:*blush* naaaah I am chaotic, untidy, always tired and overweight.
Nothing of that does mean you cannot be remarkable.
Then up he rose, and donn'd his clothes, / And dupp'd the chamber-door;
Let in the maid, that out a maid / Never departed more.
Hamlet, Act IV, Sc. V

name

Post by name » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:25 pm

comm

name

Post by name » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:26 pm

comm

*edited by m_s*

Dear Estonian Spammer,

thank you for leaving your IP for us to ban it. Scarcely, we receive such perfect service from our clientel. It is very much appreciated.
We hope you enjoyed your short visit and will recommend this open forum to your friends and colleagues so that we can expand the range of server-banned IPs to theirs.

*hugs*

mare