Special stuff for Moderators/Admins

(Questions, notes, suggestions)

Moderator: IrisD

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Special stuff for Moderators/Admins

Post by mare_serenitatis » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:57 pm

Mods and Admins can see a few icons that are invisible to normal users. As there seems to be some uncertainty as to their use, I think it's high time to explain them.
These buttons are (in the order of their appearance) :

Image with this button you can assign a post to a user. For example, if a user left and returns or if the account got accidentially deleted and had to be restored or if you repost old threads from a previous incarnation of this board, you can assign every post individually to a specific user.

Image allows you to delete a single post.

Image with this button you can see a user's IP -a useful feature when it comes to banning spammers.

These were the buttons in posts.
At the bottom of each thread there are more hidden treasures:

Image allows you to delete a complete thread

Image enables you to move a misplaced topic to a different section of the board. If you wish, you can leave a "shadow topic" in place. A shadow topic is basically a wormhole through the board: you click on the name of the thread in the original place and the board takes you automatically to the thread's new location. It's a great comfort for users who bookmarked a thread before it got moved.

Image locks a topic. Your fellow Moderators in the respective forum and Admins can override this and reopen the thread, so in order to avoid confusion, please always specify a reason for locking the thread.

Image this feature allows you to split individual posts off a thread and turn them into a thread of their own. Very handy when a discussion goes off-topic.

Image this button does the exact opposite of the previous one: it merges the posts of a thread with the posts of another thread. Unfortunately, it merges them like a zipper: 1st post of 1st thread, 1st post of 2nd thread, 2nd post of 1st thread, 2nd post of 2nd thread and so on. This can lead to pretty muddled threads but in some cases it's still better than having 2 threads about the same topic going.

Well, I hope this was less confusing than a merged thread ;)

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks Mare. :hug:
Unconditional Love is all you need.

Osiris Under Glass

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 pm

Thanks for the explanation Mare; I can only see those buttons at the Policy Forum and don't think I'll ever really get to use them, but is still nice to know properly what they do. :D
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

IrisD
Site Admin

Post by IrisD » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:30 am

Acknowledged Mare. Nice features...really nice... :twisted:
What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:05 pm

Ashanti wrote:I can only see those buttons at the Policy Forum
oops, I should have made that more clear:

Moderators can see these buttons only in those parts of the board they are listed for as a Mod.
Admins have Moderator rights everywhere and therefore can always see the Mod-buttons.

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification Mare, I thought it was something along those lines. :D
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.