and one more...

test

Post by test » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:49 pm

arrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:54 pm

yet another test....
War doesn't decide who is right. It only decides who is left.

IrisD
Site Admin

Post by IrisD » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:33 pm

:spam3: :hammer:
What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:21 pm

LOL indeed :)
I can't find the darned bug. I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the ignore hack.
Propably, the best tactic is to delete the board and reinstall everything from scratch. Don't worry, no post or PM will get lost. I shall make a backup of the database first and then connect the new board to the old files. Same brain in a new body, you might say ;)
I'll give it a try next weekend, so don't worry if the board is offline for an hour

IrisD
Site Admin

Post by IrisD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:15 pm

[Spock]Brain? What is brain??[/Spock]

:D

But this would be the best for all, I think.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Fascinating.

;)
By reinstalling one hack after the other I can also find out which one exactly is responsible for the problem. Plus I'll learn a little more php :)
Geez, I miss good old BASIC. Those were the days...

shione123

Post by shione123 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:18 am

Go get 'em, Mare!!! :)

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:27 am

LOL Thanks for the thumbs up :bighug:
I'll have a go at it after I'm done with my weekendshopping today. I shall make a new board, copy the old database files and then connect the copy with the new board. This way you won't lose any posts, PMs or pictures from the gallery. The last step will be to make this board and the new one swap adresses. During that step both boards will be offline for about half an hour. (But that will be on Sunday, the earliest).

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:06 pm

ok, this thing is more complicated than I expected.
Unbeknownst to me (lovely word), our host upgraded the server to a new SQL version. However, phpBB 2 that we use here can not be installed on that one.
Presumably that upgrade is also the reason for the malfunctions.

The only possible solution is to switch to a phpBB 3 board which is able to communicate properly with the server.

However, this software is very different in its structure from the one we currently use. There are conversion programmes but I have never tried them and am not certain if they work properly.

Leaving things as they are is no option, I'm afraid, because with every upgrade of the database software, we will get more and more bugs.

I shall be away for 1 week on a business trip, so you'll have time to digest the bad news. :(

After that trip I plan to copy this board, set up a phpBB3 and try to convert the copy. When everything works properly, we can switch to the new board.
Until I ironed out all the little flaws that are to be expected, we can use this board.

Is that ok with everyone? Does anyone have a better solution?

===============
non-techno-babble version:

Our hosting company changed one programme on their server which is needed for the communication between the board and the server. They now speak 2 different dialects, you might say. They can communicate but there are occasional misunderstandings.

Unfortunately, our board software is too old to learn the new language and with every server upgrade, there will be more and more misunderstandings (=bugs). So what I intend to do is:
I shall copy the board so that I can make experiments with the copy without damaging the original board.
Then I shall install the latest board version and try to fill in all the contents from the old board.

Imagine it like an oldtimer whos motor you remove, install it in a limousine and then tune it up so that it makes 120 mph.

There is a special programme that should do this, but I have never tried it and am not sure if it works properly. That's why I'll use a copy of the board. This way we can use the old board until the new one works perfectly and then we can move.

I'll be away all next week on a business trip, so you'll have to live with the bugs for a bit longer, I'm afraid.

IrisD
Site Admin

Post by IrisD » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:04 pm

So, when you are away for one week I think we all should use this time to think if it is necessary that you copy everything we posted on this board included our PMs!

A save MB is more important to me than some save private Messages I can save on my own hard disk!

Mare, when you need help I know someone who can help out with a lot of php and MySQL! ;) Just PM me...
Friedrich Nietzsche

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:04 pm

I had a test run with my board (sdg). The conversion works very nicely and no PM or post got lost.
However, phpBB3 is a very young version and many hacks haven't yet been re-written for this software. At the moment there is no photo album hack available.
On Saturday, I'll try if I can modify the old hack to work with the new software.
I'll keep you updated

shione123

Post by shione123 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks for the update, Mare. :)