Upgrade

(Questions, notes, suggestions)

Moderator: IrisD

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Upgrade

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:06 pm

As I told you a while ago, our recent problems with the notification mails are most likely caused by a server upgrade. The server and the board have trouble communicating.
Therefore, sooner or later we will be forced to upgrade the board.

However, for the moment we'd jump from the frying pan into the fire:
The new board software is so different from the one we run now, that all our additional features would not work with the new board. I tried to adapt them but it's impossible - the differences are too big.

At the moment, there are only very few aditional features available for the new board and it seems the software developers aren't in a hurry with re-writing their hacks for the new software.

What does this mean for us?
In an upgrade, we will gain a (hopefully) bug-free board which even has subforums.
We will lose the chatbox, calendar and photo album.

We could create a subforum where everyone can post their pictures. I can host them for those who don't have their own serverspace.
Alternatively, I could create a photo album website and link to it. If you send me your pictures and the text you want to appear next to them, I can load them up to the server for you.

As a substitute for the calendar, we can either make a calendar thread in which we post all upcoming events, or I can link a page to the board with a calendar-like table.

However, if I host the pictures and calendar, you will not be able to upload or edit them.

I'm afraid there is no substitute for the chat.

What do you think? Would you rather stick with the old board software or should we switch to the new one and find a solution for its shortcomings?

IrisD
Site Admin

Post by IrisD » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:26 pm

We will lose some features, but it's bug-free. I have a phpBB 3 and it's wonderful.
And I was told that they're working on some features like Chat box and Calender at the moment, maybe a Gallery very soon too.

I would say do this Upgrade and I'll have a look at them when they will bring the lost features out, ok?

Meanwhile you can visit our little new Star Trek Community and have a look at phpBB 3. :)
What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:14 pm

oooh! very stylish :) I like that ice blue. Reminds me of the ice candy my granny used to give me when I had a sore throat. Needless to say that I tried to get a sore throat as often as possible - which resulted in me being extremely frost-tolerant and flu-resistant until today *sigh* :noidea:
War doesn't decide who is right. It only decides who is left.

IrisD
Site Admin

Post by IrisD » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:53 pm

A replasement for the Shoutbox could be a AJAX Chat. I will install one in my Forum tomorrow! You can find a downloadlink at the phpBB headquarters.
What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:34 pm

oh cool! Thanks for the link!
War doesn't decide who is right. It only decides who is left.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:57 pm

We just upgraded to the brandnew 3.0.6 version which should (theoretically) fix a lot of bugs the previous version had.
In other words: we traded old bugs for new ones :mrgreen:

Please report all malfunctions to me and I'll try to fix them.

Argh! great - I already found the first bug: 80% of our smilies don't show on the smilie index.
They still are there, they just don't get listed. So if you know the code by heart, you'll have no problem posting them.
I'll try to find the error, but it might take a while. Until then you can also copy smilies from the Badlands, a board on the same server:
http://www.sdg3.com/badlands/posting.php?mode=smilies
just right-click the smilie you want, copy the path and paste it here in img brackets

The problem occurs only on the green Lea-template. If you switch to one of the other templates, all smilies show properly on 4 pages.

The blue bar behind the banner is another bug in the Lea-template I have yet to hunt down.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:20 pm

there will be a software upgrade on Friday, February 17th.
During the upgrade the board will be locked for about 1 hour.
The upgrade starts at
23:00 Japanese time
18:00 St Petersburg time
16:00 Estonian/Lithuanian/Lativan time
15:00 Central European time
2:00 pm British time
9:00 am American east coast
6:00 am American west coast

Did I leave someone out? :)

my appologies for giving you such a late warning. There was a security problem with another board on this server and I think it is perhaps better to take no risk and upgrade the software as quickly as possible.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 pm

test...
:)

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 pm

yep, works :)

shione123

Post by shione123 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:32 am

No problem with the "late" warning, Mare. Thanks for letting us know.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:11 pm

There is a new version of the board software available. I shall install it on Saturday or Sunday. The board will be offline for about 1 hour.

I am sorry that I can not give you a more precise timeframe: it depends on the weather. Always when it rains, my internet connection breaks down. I'll try to do it on Saturday afternoon (Saturday early morning US time), but the forecast says thunderstorms so that it might be Sunday instead.