Cuttin' Up: Wit and Wisdom Inside Black Barbershops

Discussion about all the stuff Keith has worked on,
along with what he will work on in the future

Moderators: D.Rabbit, Ashanti, Karin, mancheeks64

Lea

Cuttin' Up: Wit and Wisdom Inside Black Barbershops

Post by Lea » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:07 am

Has anybody already read this book? Can you tell something about it?

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:50 pm

There are several reviews at Amazon.com

This one from Booklist sums it up quite nicely:

Synopsis

Marberry, author of Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats 2000), explores another black cultural phenomenon--the barbershop. The shops are an institution of fellowship in which black men commune, where there are unwritten social rules of tradition, where conversations can entertain and enlighten. World issues are interwoven with more localized and mundane concerns, including job woes and troubled relationships. Marberry visited black barbershops across the U.S and observed numerous exchanges between barbers and their customers that reflect a forum for teaching in an informal context. Marberry reflects on some of the traditions of black barbers, the fact that black barbers used to cut white men's hair but could not do so in the same shops where they cut black men's hair. The black barbershop, like the church, was--and is--a central outlet for news and connections. Marberry touches on black barbers' involvement in the civil rights movement, as businessmen operating central news stations in the black community.
Vernon Ford
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

Review

Craig Marberry, best-selling author of Crowns: Portraits of Black Women in Church Hats, returns with an unforgettable collection of narratives, quotes, and photographs from the most sacred of spaces---the black barber shop---and reveals the camaraderie, comic turns, and sharp-tongued commentary of barbers and their customers:

“The cop’s gonna come. The preacher’s gonna come. The gangsta’s gonna come. The barber shop’s the one place where you can put the wrong people at the same time.”---Reginald Attucks, barber shop owner

“I trust Bush with my daughter, but Clinton with my job.”---An anonymous customer

“I asked the boy what happened to his head. He said, ‘Daddy said to say Mama did it.’ ”---Deborah Rondo, barber

“I’m seventy-one. Old but not spent. Somebody asked me if Oprah is my only child. I said, ‘The only one so far.’ ”---Vernon Winfrey, barber shop owner
War doesn't decide who is right. It only decides who is left.

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:32 am

I found the Study Guide to Cuttin' Up.
I switched it from PDF but if you prefer PDF there is a link at the top to switch it back.
Enjoy.
Unconditional Love is all you need.

Osiris Under Glass

Cyowari

Post by Cyowari » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:31 am

Thank you, D.Rabbit!
I found quite a lot of texts but not that one. Very good.
Then up he rose, and donn'd his clothes, / And dupp'd the chamber-door;
Let in the maid, that out a maid / Never departed more.
Hamlet, Act IV, Sc. V

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:32 pm

It was a lucky strike, thanks. The PDF shows the pictures BTW.
It's interesting that the show is scripted improve. That every show is different depending on the day's head lines or current affairs.