Roz's Play Review (Cuttin" Up) 4/15/07

Discussion about all the stuff Keith has worked on,
along with what he will work on in the future

Moderators: D.Rabbit, Ashanti, Karin, mancheeks64

Roslyn

Roz's Play Review (Cuttin" Up) 4/15/07

Post by Roslyn » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:30 am

Hello everyone. My internet has come back up. I promised I would post my review here. My Friends and I went to the Play 4/15/07 2.30pm show time. Her is my review:

Andre’ is Keith in the scene below)
Opening Scene - Andre' comes in to the barbershop looking for work, right away the head barber took a look at his hands and said," You're a barber"! Then Andre’ said, how did you know? The barber said, he can tell by looking at his hands and a barber always knows another barber when they see one. Then the younger barber comes in late as usual we gathered. Someone then mentions about Andre's life, what secrets was he running away from. Andre did not answer - right off. The head barber said to the younger one, don’t ask Andre’ about his life or what secrets a man is keeping!

As time went by several characters were introduced thru storytelling and reminiscence. Andre' would say, "I worked in a barbershop in San Francisco, and you know that is the GAY capital. Well this shop must have had 25 chairs, but every time a guy comes in, you could tell they were gay. No one wanted to touch them because you know no one really knew about AIDS and how it was carried and so forth. So no one wanted to cut the gay guys hair."

The AIDS Scene-
The character appeared – the lights dimmed and the spotlight was on Andre’ and the gay guy, while the other 2 barbers looked on. (Andre’) played this scene as if from the past, as if he really was back in the shop in San Francisco. The guy came in with a workout bag, pulled out his own hair clippers and handed them to Andre’. When everyone started looking around, Andre’ looked around too to see if anyone would say anything. He sat the guy down in the chair and pulled the cape over him. Then he started the clippers, well Andre’ hesitated and looked around again. He then turned the clippers off, gave them back to the guy without a word, the guy assumes that Andre’ was not going to cut his hair either even using his own clippers. The Andre’ stopped him and gestured wait, then Andre’ did something remarkable, he made a decision, Andre pulled out his own clippers and stared to cut the guys hair. Afterwards the haircut was done, and the guy said thank you to Andre’, and Andre’ gestured back with an approving nod. End of scene

The audience clapped loud for this scene because it was played to touch your heart and thought a lesson was well.

The scenes and characters went on; there was one scene that was too funny. The guys in the shop was cutting hair with usual crowd coming by to just chill or just while away the time with the guys: the hustler, he hustled everything he could find, the guy who comes in the shop and ask who wants to buy anything that he had thrown over both arms, the police officer, the guy with the gold chains that thinks he looks good type. And we had the small town or neighborhood preacher and the over the top mega church preacher coming into the shop.

History Lesson scene - So the guys started to talk about the different types of hair that comes into the shop: the Afro, the Jeri curls, the Don King type hair sticking straight up, the slick back hair, and as each character came out they had all of these types of hair. The head barber was giving a lesson on the types of men hairs styles through the years, and how they have changed with the times and how people also changed. Something like we were first known as slaves, then Negros, then Black American and now African Americans. Our name changed through the years but the people didn’t much was the lesson. The struggles have not been reached.

That was a very powerful scene when you saw the pictures on the walls lit up as they were talking about history.

That is when music started playing and the younger barber who like the hip hop music, said, “YEAH that’s my jam and started dancing all types of dances that took place thru the years - a history lesson in this country’s dance craze started to take shape.

(This Actor was really good at dancing and he brought the house down with applause from us. On one dance step, we thought that he might trip and fall but he kept on and everyone loved it. He even had us dancing and singing in our seats in the audience! ) As Andre’ and the old man stood watching and laughing with the entertainment.

The scene of the battling Preachers – They guys were talking and the younger barber mentioned about going to sample the churches before he commit to one. Well both preachers were proud of their church and they try to stay away from each other and the same familiar areas. However, that day, both came into the barbershop one after the other. They greeted one another (while the barbers looked on as if they were about to see the saving of the soles fight of the century).

As the conversation grew into a boasting match, then it got wild, the small town preacher said something like, “we heard that you all were raising money for a new building, sorry you did not make your mark.” As the small town preacher said we prayed for you all (grinning and smiling away from the others). Then the mega preacher shot back – “well you heard wrong, we reached our mark! And just broke ground. Can I get an AMEN?” Well, talk resumed and the small town preacher asked the younger barber why he had not been in church lately with his lady friend. The younger barber kind of turned his back a little as to try not to answer and Andre’ looked on smiling like a Cheshire cat. The mega preacher answered and said because he came to where he would find the most help.

(You know how preachers sometimes start singing when they preach,) well the singing of words started by the mega preacher, then here comes the small town preacher trying to match him one better. As things took shape all of the customers were looking and getting out of the way. Then the dancing started, the hooting and hollering started just like they both were in the pulpit preaching to their congregations. The mega preacher jumped on a table screaming the lord’s name and then jumped down and did a Chuck Berry guitar hop across the floor still singing, while the younger barber pulled out a tambourine and started playing to keep up. It was WILD!!

(These actors had the audience howling, laughing, going YES that’s my church, or “I know someone just like him”. We clapped and dance right along with the actors).

The preachers tried to out do each other, and then one said something to the other, and all barbers jumped up and blocked their way as to stop a potential preacher fight of the year. All the while the barbers were laughing and snickering at this event unfolding in their shop.

While Andre’ revealed a little more about himself as time went by to the younger barber (when they were alone) in the shop of course. Andre’ had this connection with the older barber who owned the shop. The head barber son came in to talk about some papers, and the head barber introduced this son to the others and turned and told his son I will have the papers soon. Andre’ and the younger barber just looked on at the sadden father.

Then the younger barber asked Andre’ again about his life. Andre’ said why do you ask so many questions? And the younger barber said I want to learn and I am learning from you. Andre’ answered I was married 3 times and divorced 3 times. I traveled all over not finding a place I could call home. He said his father (a barber) raised 9 sons and he was proud of him, but he could not stay home, he had to leave and find for himself a place he could call home. He told the younger barber, I tell people about me (that I care about) when I am thinking about leaving again. The younger barber asked are you leaving? Andre’ says, I don’t know. He and the older barber always fussed and fought like family because the older barber told Andre’ you got to stop running from whatever you are running from. Face it! And deal with it. Andre’ hated someone telling him what to do, but he listens to the old barber. When Andre’ is alone in the shop he thinks back about his life. Events and people pictures on the walls start to light up when anyone is remembering a person or event.

The next day he reveals a little more about himself and his past. His father raised 9 boys, no girls and their mother ran off and left them. He always wondered why and where was she now.

Ok fast forward. We soon find out more about Andre’ and his life. He divorced his 1st wife who was a super singing star and she wanted him to go on the road with her, (that is the scene when he kisses her and she is standing on the chair hugging Andre’ in the picture L.D. sent by email).
Andre’ says why, what will I do, become Mr. so and so. I don’t think so! She said to him, I love you and want you with me, I may be gone for some time, but Andre’ said to her, you mean you love your singing career more and wanted him last. She walked away from him and that ended their married. She chose her career over her marriage. He then had two more marriages, 1 in San Francisco which is why he left there- that did not work out, they asked about the 3rd wife, Andre’ replied, I left her this time, so she would not leave me.

The Realization Scene - Andre’s father appeared in a vision and said to him, “you got to stop running away.” Then at the same time the older barber also told him go find your mother. (Andre’ did not know that the older barber had found out). Andre’ asked how did you know? The older barber said to him by word of mouth, if you don’t want your business in the street, keep your mouth shut. Andre’ fired back in a loud voice almost shouting, “I did not put my business in the street and you need to mind your own business! The older barber said my lawyer son had the paper work and found your mother for you to contact. Go call your mother. The old barber said, you don’t know what she was thinking or what was going on; you were too little to know. She must have had a good reason. Andre’ then asked for a few days off.

(You see Andre’ and the old man had bonded like father and son, they argued, fought, worked together, shared happy moments together. The older barber was actually grooming Andre’ to take over his business when he past on, but Andre’ did not know this fact. The old man was also grooming the younger barber as well). They were to be his legacy, his history to pass on what he knows.

Andre’ finds his mother scene - That is when the mother character was introduced, Andre’s mother was saying, “it was a surprise hearing from you on the phone after all this time, come here, let me take a look at you, she asked how old are you now son, Andre’ said 45. She said well, you have gown up to be a find man, just a find man. I guess you must be wondering why I left all of you? Andre’ said yeah, with an angry voice, I was and we had not seen or heard from you since, why?
The mother said, “I had to leave son, if I didn’t we would have all suffered.” Don’t you see? Andre’ says no, I don’t, explain (in a shaky voice – like he was about to cry). The mother said if was for the best, I just could not stay, I couldn’t! Please try to understand. It was hard for me to leave you, all of you.” Andre’ said, “No that is not an answer and walked away.” The mother head hung in pain that she could not tell exactly why she left. She felt if would not make things right.

(And this is why it seems that every woman Andre’ had in his life, always left him. His mother and the 2 wives and the 3rd he left her first, so that he would not feel that pain again.)

(This aspect of the Play seems to be left up to the imagination of the audience I feel, as to what happened to cause the mother to leave her 9 sons. Possible abuse from the father, or something else might have been so horribly she just could not bring herself to tell her youngest son in fear that he would hate her. But the scene left it as it was, no answer and pain and hurt for both of them.) Complete silence came over the theatre then, it pulled at your heart that one too.) The audience clapped for this scene too.

Andre’ comes back home to Atlanta and the shop, happy and saying hello to all. The younger barber asked, “well Andre’ did you find what your were looking for? Andre’ said I had some thinking to do. (and in Andre’s own way, smiling and walking straight up to the younger barber, leaned slightly down and politely planted a kiss on the younger barber’s forehead, smiled looking back at him. Leaving the younger barber with the impression of what does that mean? Stop asking so many questions???

Then the older barber said well I’m leaving, lock up you two and at the same time Andre’ and the younger barber were counting 1, 2,3 and… then gestured with their fingers (pointing at the front door at the old man) who came back and said, “ and in a unison voice all three said, “be on time tomorrow!” Laughter came out with the Audience then.

(This was a mannerism of the old man had every day he left the shop to turn back to the younger barber and say be on time! So both the barbers had grown to know the old man’s thinking) Oh, Andre’ don’t forgot to go to the bank, the old man said, “Andre’ replied, already done so”, looking back smiling at the old man. The old man smile back. The younger barber said to Andre’, the old man relies on you for everything at the shop, the new floor, the wall paper, the banking, etc. Andre’ said I did not mind, were like family now, fighting ALLL the time. Both fall out laughing and so did the audience.

The morning and last scene – The next morning both Andre’ and younger barber came in a little late, they noticed that the old man was not there and that he must be running late for the first time in his life to open the shop. Well just then the old man’s lawyer son came in, saddened, and told them he found his father dead in his home. Both barbers were overcome with grief. The son said the other family members would be coming around, but he wanted to be the first to tell them. Then he walked up to Andre’ and said,” father left you the shop, everything.” He has 3 sons, and he did not want any of us to be barbers. He did not know we were proud of him, we did not bond like you and he did. He has a doctor, a teacher and a lawyer, but no one to carry on his legacy, his work, his wisdom in the shop. The son said to Andre’, “father did not want us to go thru what he did. So he left you with the shop, he treated YOU more like his own son, than his sons. The sons (the barbers) he never had. The shop is yours was his last wishes.

The son then handed Andre’ a sealed letter from the old man. The old man came into the mirror behind Andre’ as a vision, reading the letter to him. Andre’ fell on the floor in grief, after the old man’s letter said I love you Andre’ you are like my own and you are my legacy now. Andre’ pulled himself together, walked back to the counter, turn the radio on to a jazz station (which was the old man’s favorite) sat down, turn to the younger barber and said, now that’s music (like the older barber would tell them all the time, music is what you hear in your soul and heart.

Everyone clapped loud and hard on this one it really touched your heart. The Actors came back out one by one all men dressed in business suits and the woman (who played all the female parts) in a dress and then Keith came out last, still in his outfit from the last scene, the clapping got louder and they all took their bows.

I hope you all enjoyed this review as much as I loved writing it. The End.

P.S. Oh other thing, I read on a Blog about the play and a group called the Atlatna Natural Hair Sistahs is getting together Friday 5/4/07 and will go to the Play, but this group email said that after the 8pm show they will have a tour backstage to meet the actors. If anyone is coming to Atlanta to see the play, maybe a group of you all can get together to request a tour backstage as well, that way you all could get in to see KEITH and his fellow actors. Whomever organizes this, you can probably send an email to the House Manager on Duty who will be on duty the night you attend or try to arrange this with the Stage Manager, Security, etc. even the Public Relations Officer to try to get backstage, to see Keith. On the theatre's website they have the staff names and email addresses. It is worth a try. Roz
Roz

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:20 am

Thanks (((((((Roz.)))))))
That was a very detailed review.
Glad your back on line again, I hope all your internet troubles are behind you.
Unconditional Love is all you need.

Osiris Under Glass

Cyowari

Post by Cyowari » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:22 am

Thank you, Roz!
That was a industrious piece of work and so illuminating! I could imagine exactly what you saw ...
Then up he rose, and donn'd his clothes, / And dupp'd the chamber-door;
Let in the maid, that out a maid / Never departed more.
Hamlet, Act IV, Sc. V

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:24 am

Thanks for the detailed review Roz, much appreciated! :D

Now, tell us what happened when you met up with Keith, curious minds whant to know!! :wink:
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:55 pm

:worthless:
Email them to me plesem if you don't have a photo host.
D.
Unconditional Love is all you need.

Osiris Under Glass

Roslyn

How to post pictures here with replys?

Post by Roslyn » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:53 am

Hi D. Rabbit, saw your email below and wanted to ask know how to post pictures? I am knew at posting links and such. If anyone else knows, pls share info.

Thanks so much!
Roz
Roz

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:36 pm

Roz, Thank you from the heart, Whow I felt as if I was there watching with you. This Review was excellent and very detailed. Thank you so very much for sharing with us.

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Wed May 02, 2007 4:00 am

Roz sent me a couple of pictures for the thread.
She will have to fill you in on the details.

Thumbs UP Roz!

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Wed May 02, 2007 4:05 pm

Great pics Roz, thanks for sharing!!! :D

And, of course, thanks D for posting them. :D
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Wed May 02, 2007 10:48 pm

True that, if you can't get them up ship them off to D, our computer genius can produce anything hehe :wink:

But Roz, :banana: Ooh man, I know your not sitting in his lap, Ow you lucky girl :drool: . I am so jealous Lol!!! Great picture sis thanks for sharing them with us.

She was truely up close and personnel, hehe :twisted:

Roslyn

Post by Roslyn » Tue May 08, 2007 3:42 am

Hi all. I HEY If anyone else came to see the play, I would love to read your review as well, pcis and all too!

Ashanti wanted details on my or our meeting with Keith. The picture D. Rabbit posted for me came in great. Just scroll thru the messge below to see the pictures back stage. I haev other pictures and hope that I can place them in the Album for all to see. You will see me (Roz) in black, Keith and Myra in Aqua. The envelope in my hands is the printed greeting I brought to Keith from Lea, and I had copies of the Poem Calendars 2007 in case he did not received them to give to him as well.

Meeting
The conversation was very interesting. I can say a lot was said but I think I will keep it short. Keith remembered me and my friend Myra for all of the other times we met (and from the time we met at the AMC Studios in New York).

As we approached, Keith stood in the doorway to receive us, tall, proud and sooooo (*$(&%^($#) GOOD LOOKING!!! :shock: it was just wild! Hello he said in that tone he has, how are all of you? We all said hello and well. As we entered the dressing room, Keith pulled out 3 folding chairs (which was really all that was there) and says please, pointing to the chairs for us to sit. Keith asked us both how we were doing and what type of work we were doing now. We each answered him and he smiled like he was a proud papa.

I told Keith that I was getting into my fanmode, he leaned forward with me to see what I had. I presented him the special "Hello" from Lea. All I said was she is from Estonia, and he says yes, I remember. I also asked about the Poem Calendars and he said that he has received every one that his fans had done for him every year. I told him that some of his fans said they were going to try to travel to Atlanta to see the play and he said that is very nice of them and that he hopes that they enjoy the show.

I asked how the house was coming on the renovations, he said well, and I only worked on 1 section of the house, but it is on hold now because of the play and another projects I hope will be starting up soon. But I will get back to it. Then I asked about the furniture that he built. He looked at me and said how do you know about that? I told him about the interview on the Noah Arc site with Keith somebody (he rememebred the reporter). After I told him this he said he really did not know that they were posted. I said, Keith, you got skills kid, (nudging him with my elbow), he smiled in a shameful manner and said "yeah I got skills."

Then that is when the actor who plays Howard comes by and says Hello!! Keith then says you remembred Howard? Smiling, we all said yes, we shook hands with him (my goddaughter Jan did not get a picture of that moment :cry:). Keith asked how did we like the play and we liked it very much. I told him that as a little girl (not that I am much taller) that it brought back memories from when we were growing up around beauty shops and barbershops. My Goddaughter Jan asked him if she could take a picture of us 3 together, and she wanted us to get closer, and without hesitation, Keith reached behind me and took hold of my chair legs and slid the chair closer to him. Before I knew it, he crossed his legs, and (I TELL YOU THIS WITH ALL HONESTY) until I saw the pictures, I did not know that my left arm was leaning just so slightly on his right thigh that was crossed (oh my goodness!!!) :shock: but, I was all smiles :D when I saw that picture. Keith was all smiles too.

Then, Ms. Marva Hicks (Female Lead) came in to say hello, Keith said you know Marva right? We shook her hand too. Again, Jan did not get that moment :cry: I told her to take any and all pictures but even SHE was just in awe of where we were and who we were talking too. She said that Keith was so very nice and just talked to me and her mother like we were very old friends. She said that she had a brain freeze and just forgot what I asked her to do. My bad luck. I could have gotten the entire cast who were just down the same hallway outside the door.

We talked about the message board, he said he loved the way the board brought people together to discuss new ideas and common interests which he did acknowledge that to some extend. It did bring all of us together in a community and he enjoyed talking with all of us. He liked the conversations that got to be very deep and everyone had an opinion that was very productive and not malicious. He sid that the site became a lot of work to keep up and running and that nothing personally or profesionally was going on at the time, so he thought to just take it down. He said he was disappointed that his fans were attacked by others for what they believed or their opinions when a topic became intense.

At that time, my friend Myra looked at the beautiful red roses on the dressing room counter and Keith said yes, a fan from Germany sent those. He said it ws wonderful getting those so unexpected. I could only think of one KHC board member and the other person on this board that they could have came from. He did not say if there was a name on the card.

I said we won’t hold you too long (that was a pun (hold you too long, get it :wink:) and he smiled. We thanked him for seeing us on such short notice in between shows. He said he was happy that we made ourselves known to him because he never would have seen us or knew we were there, because he said after he remembered us, he knew we lived somewhere in Atlanta. We always go to see Keith when he is in town no matter what the event is.

We started to leave and Keith gave my friend Myra a kiss on the cheek, she was so happy as she walked out the door, and then he turned to me and gave me a kiss too and I told him to take care and stay blessed. Before we left he autography our programs. To Myra he wrote,” Lovely lady, stay well” Keith. To me he wrote,” Roslyn, you have always been my blessing. Keith.” To the other younger ladies he wrote, “Blessed Be.” He saw us out of the dressing room as he prepared for dinner and the next show. Ooo I wished I could go home with him!!!!

We walked out of the dressing room and the other actors had gathered in the main room, we said goodbye to all of them, (still I was trying to get pictures) they were actually waiting on Keith to come join them, and told them they were just wonderful. Once Security showed us how to go back to the lobby area, we came back out where the seats were. There we saw the Director Kent Gosh who asked us how did we liek the show? We said we loved it. 2 other people there as well. As we walked thru one of the ladies said, “you all came to see Keith huh?” We said yes and my friends kept walking. So, then she asked, “what did you bring him?” :?: :?: :?: At that point, I wanted to say (none of your business), and thought the question was very inappropriate. (I think they asked because Keith had received flowers from a fan all the way from Germany).

But being a southern woman and did not want to seem rude or evasive, I said we brought greetings from some of Keith's fans who maybe traveling to attend the play on other dates and to say hello to him since we live here. I quickly said to all of them, the play was wonderful and I hope it is a success and have a blessed day. Then I walked out with my friends. As we got into the car my friends said those people are so noisy, they have some nerve asking us why we were there and what did we bring. I told them I answered because I did not want anyone going back to Keith telling him we were rude to them. The play did deliver everything the sponsors were saying, it will make you laugh, cry and sing! And it did make us want to get up and dance at that. Hope this gives you a picture of our meeting. Like I said other things were talked about, but I kept it short. If you call this short :D

Picture: Cuttin’ Up Woodruff Arts Center - Alliance Stage Theatre Atlanta, GA 4/15/07 After the 2.30pm show and before dinner time for the cast.

ROZ
Roz

Roslyn

Post by Roslyn » Tue May 08, 2007 3:45 am

Hi all. I HEY If anyone else came to see the play, I would love to read your review as well, pics and all too!

Ashanti wanted details on my or our meeting with Keith. The picture D. Rabbit posted for me came in great. THANKS D!!!!!
You will see me (Roz) in black, Keith and Myra in Aqua. The envelope in my hands is the printed greeting I brought to Keith from Lea, and I had copies of the Poem Calendars 2007 in case he did not received them to give to him as well.

Meeting
The conversation was very interesting. I can say a lot was said but I think I will keep it short. Keith remembered me and my friend Myra for all of the other times we met (and from the time we met at the AMC Studios in New York).

As we approached, Keith stood in the doorway to receive us, tall, proud and sooooo (*$(&%^($#) GOOD LOOKING!!! :shock: it was just wild! Hello he said in that tone he has, how are all of you? We all said hello and well. As we entered the dressing room, Keith pulled out 3 folding chairs (which was really all that was there) and says please, pointing to the chairs for us to sit. Keith asked us both how we were doing and what type of work we were doing now. We each answered him and he smiled like he was a proud papa.

I told Keith that I was getting into my fanmode, he leaned forward with me to see what I had. I presented him the special "Hello" from Lea. All I said was she is from Estonia, and he says yes, I remember. I also asked about the Poem Calendars and he said that he has received every one that his fans had done for him every year. I told him that some of his fans said they were going to try to travel to Atlanta to see the play and he said that is very nice of them and that he hopes that they enjoy the show.

I asked how the house was coming on the renovations, he said well, and I only worked on 1 section of the house, but it is on hold now because of the play and another projects I hope will be starting up soon. But I will get back to it. Then I asked about the furniture that he built. He looked at me and said how do you know about that? I told him about the interview on the Noah Arc site with Keith somebody (he rememebred the reporter). After I told him this he said he really did not know that they were posted. I said, Keith, you got skills kid, (nudging him with my elbow), he smiled in a shameful manner and said "yeah I got skills."

Then that is when the actor who plays Howard comes by and says Hello!! Keith then says you remembred Howard? Smiling, we all said yes, we shook hands with him (my goddaughter Jan did not get a picture of that moment :cry:). Keith asked how did we like the play and we liked it very much. I told him that as a little girl (not that I am much taller) that it brought back memories from when we were growing up around beauty shops and barbershops. My Goddaughter Jan asked him if she could take a picture of us 3 together, and she wanted us to get closer, and without hesitation, Keith reached behind me and took hold of my chair legs and slid the chair closer to him. Before I knew it, he crossed his legs, and (I TELL YOU THIS WITH ALL HONESTY) until I saw the pictures, I did not know that my left arm was leaning just so slightly on his right thigh that was crossed (oh my goodness!!!) :shock: but, I was all smiles :D when I saw that picture. Keith was all smiles too.

Then, Ms. Marva Hicks (Female Lead) came in to say hello, Keith said you know Marva right? We shook her hand too. Again, Jan did not get that moment :cry: I told her to take any and all pictures but even SHE was just in awe of where we were and who we were talking too. She said that Keith was so very nice and just talked to me and her mother like we were very old friends. She said that she had a brain freeze and just forgot what I asked her to do. My bad luck. I could have gotten the entire cast who were just down the same hallway outside the door.

We talked about the message board, he said he loved the way the board brought people together to discuss new ideas and common interests which he did acknowledge that to some extend. It did bring all of us together in a community and he enjoyed talking with all of us. He liked the conversations that got to be very deep and everyone had an opinion that was very productive and not malicious. He sid that the site became a lot of work to keep up and running and that nothing personally or profesionally was going on at the time, so he thought to just take it down. He said he was disappointed that his fans were attacked by others for what they believed or their opinions when a topic became intense.

At that time, my friend Myra looked at the beautiful red roses on the dressing room counter and Keith said yes, a fan from Germany sent those. He said it ws wonderful getting those so unexpected. I could only think of one KHC board member and the other person on this board that they could have came from. He did not say if there was a name on the card.

I said we won’t hold you too long (that was a pun (hold you too long, get it :wink:) and he smiled. We thanked him for seeing us on such short notice in between shows. He said he was happy that we made ourselves known to him because he never would have seen us or knew we were there, because he said after he remembered us, he knew we lived somewhere in Atlanta. We always go to see Keith when he is in town no matter what the event is.

We started to leave and Keith gave my friend Myra a kiss on the cheek, she was so happy as she walked out the door, and then he turned to me and gave me a kiss too and I told him to take care and stay blessed. Before we left he autography our programs. To Myra he wrote,” Lovely lady, stay well” Keith. To me he wrote,” Roslyn, you have always been my blessing. Keith.” To the other younger ladies he wrote, “Blessed Be.” He saw us out of the dressing room as he prepared for dinner and the next show. Ooo I wished I could go home with him!!!!

We walked out of the dressing room and the other actors had gathered in the main room, we said goodbye to all of them, (still I was trying to get pictures) they were actually waiting on Keith to come join them, and told them they were just wonderful. Once Security showed us how to go back to the lobby area, we came back out where the seats were. There we saw the Director Kent Gosh who asked us how did we liek the show? We said we loved it. 2 other people there as well. As we walked thru one of the ladies said, “you all came to see Keith huh?” We said yes and my friends kept walking. So, then she asked, “what did you bring him?” :?: :?: :?: At that point, I wanted to say (none of your business), and thought the question was very inappropriate. (I think they asked because Keith had received flowers from a fan all the way from Germany).

But being a southern woman and did not want to seem rude or evasive, I said we brought greetings from some of Keith's fans who maybe traveling to attend the play on other dates and to say hello to him since we live here. I quickly said to all of them, the play was wonderful and I hope it is a success and have a blessed day. Then I walked out with my friends. As we got into the car my friends said those people are so noisy, they have some nerve asking us why we were there and what did we bring. I told them I answered because I did not want anyone going back to Keith telling him we were rude to them. The play did deliver everything the sponsors were saying, it will make you laugh, cry and sing! And it did make us want to get up and dance at that. Hope this gives you a picture of our meeting. Like I said other things were talked about, but I kept it short. If you call this short :D

Picture: Cuttin’ Up Woodruff Arts Center - Alliance Stage Theatre Atlanta, GA 4/15/07 After the 2.30pm show and before dinner time for the cast.

ROZ
Roz

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Tue May 08, 2007 5:23 am

Thanks Roz, that sounded like it was the most pleasant of meetings with Keith.
His saying that you where his blessing, was very charming. No wonder you wanted to take him home!

Cyowari

Post by Cyowari » Tue May 08, 2007 12:10 pm

Thank you, Roz, for that great detailed report about your meeting with Keith. I'm almost envious of the wonderful time you had but naturally I'm also glad for you! And it's good to hear that Keith is being alright and is having nice colleagues.
Roslyn wrote: At that time, my friend Myra looked at the beautiful red roses on the dressing room counter and Keith said yes, a fan from Germany sent those. He said it ws wonderful getting those so unexpected. I could only think of one KHC board member and the other person on this board that they could have came from. He did not say if there was a name on the card.
Well, there's a chance those might have been mine ... :oops: It was a wonderful surprise to hear that. Thank you!
Then up he rose, and donn'd his clothes, / And dupp'd the chamber-door;
Let in the maid, that out a maid / Never departed more.
Hamlet, Act IV, Sc. V

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Tue May 08, 2007 4:44 pm

Roz, thank you so very much for sharing your charming meeting with Keith!!
I truly hope I'll be able to go backstage to meet him one of the three days I'm there...if not, is all good, I've already met him three times in RL so far, I can definitely count my blessings! :wink:

C, how nice to hear he got your flowers (I'm pretty sure those were yours) and to know he appreciated the thought so much. But then again, he's nice like that, every time I brought him a gift, he always made a big fuss over it, so I wasn't expecting anything less in this case.
Matter of fact, last time I saw him in LA, he made a big fuss over the fact I'd made the trip all the way from the UK...hope he will this time too. :D

Oh boy, two days to go before I'm off to Atlanta (actually, a day and a half to be precise!) I'm really getting the jitters now!!! Wish me luck ladies! :shock: