One more stage role for KHC.

Discussion about all the stuff Keith has worked on,
along with what he will work on in the future

Moderators: D.Rabbit, Ashanti, Karin, mancheeks64

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:05 am

After the show:

About fifty or so of us moved backstage to a meet and greet gathering sponsored by Bacardi (YAY, my favorite drink in the whole wide world!! :D ) almost immediately upon arriving in the room I was introduced to ‘Mr. Bacardi’ himself, meaning the Boss man and the usual; ‘she flew all the way from London to watch the show’ story was told by Terrence for the 10th time that eve (see why I started wondering when I was going to get paid for the publicity?!) and after getting my lovely Rum & Coke I settled down to wait for the cast members to arrive.

Keith was first (no surprise there, in James Avery's absence, he's the big shot in the cast :wink:) and of course he got swarmed by people asking to take a pic with him and to have their program signed.
I waited patiently on one side for him to be done, and a few minutes later he was. At that point he turned directly to face me and with the biggest smile from ear to ear, he walked across the room to where I was standing, hugged me and said Hi.
We exchanged a couple words then, before I could ask what the little book he was holding in his hands was, he gave it to me saying; “Here, I brought you this.”
When I looked down, I saw it was the script Keith had been using; contrary to the format a script is typically written in (A4 sheets) this was August Wilson book itself written in script format with dialogue and scenes…of course, the great thing about this particular one, are all the notes written by our Actor Fella himself.
I find the whole process he goes through to create a specific character, absolutely fascinating. He asks himself questions about the key things in both the story and the character’s background, and then adds stuff to the original dialogue which sound better in his opinion - as I said, pretty fascinating.
After that, he excused himself and went to get a drink. He stopped to talk with a few more people on his way back to where I was, then settled himself next to me (there was long table against the wall and I was kinda half sitting, half leaning against it) and there he stayed until it was time for us all to leave.

There was an after show party going on at The Cotton Exchange club, and him and Tanisha were the main “attraction”, so to speak.
We stayed there for a bit (long enough for me to see Keith dance a little…yes, you read that correctly!!) unfortunately the fun was cut short cause at 8:00am the next morning he had an interview at some radio station or other to attend to, so he left to go get some sleep.
Myself, Tanisha and Terrence instead went on to another club for more promoting and then finally I was allowed to go back to my hotel and sleep in preparation to do it all again the following day - man, I surely don’t envy the life of a celeb!!

Saturday:

At 7:00pm I was back at the Hobby Center for more promoting, more telling of “the story” and finally another great performance - actually IMHO, the best one out of the three I saw that weekend (in the end I didn’t make either of the matinees, cause I wouldn’t have had enough time to go back to the hotel and change for the eve show; one can’t be seen twice in the same outfit, now can one?! 8) )
There was another meet and greet gathering which I was pretty happy to attend because of the free drinks…and before you say anything, no I’m not an alcoholic, but why not take advantage of free beverages when possible? :wink:

After “the story” was told...eham...half a dozen times more, I was approached by a lady who asked if I was Ashanti from Lea’s Board. I said yes and the lady introduced herself as our very own Stealthkitty who had traveled from out-of-state to see the show - YAY, finally there was another story which could be told instead of mine!!
We talked for a few minutes, then Keith arrived. As usual he stopped to talk with a few audience members, then came up to me to tell me that since no after show party was on that night, he was going to leave early to go get some rest after a pretty tiring day.
I said it was all good, but before he left, I made the introductions between him and Stealthkitty.
Keith was happy to know someone else from one of the Boards was there to see him and stayed and chatted with her a little, then said bye and left.
A few minutes later though, I turned around and there he was again talking to some guy.
When he was done, he walked up to me again and I asked; “Didn’t you say you were going?”
“I did!” was his reply, then he added. “But then I thought about it, and said to myself; ‘well Ashanti is here from London and Stealthkitty from out-of-state, so it doesn’t seem nice to just leave them like that.’ Why don’t we all go back to my hotel? We can seat at the bar, have a few drinks and kick back. And then my driver can take you wherever you ladies need to go.”
What do you guys think was mine and Stealthkitty’s reply to that???
I give you ten guesses, though I think you might be able to get the answer in less than half!!! :lol:

Once there, we all had a nice conversation, during which I asked him if the website and MB would be back sometime soon. As I posted before, he said not for the moment then other stuff was said and at nearly 2:00am the poor man finally said he really needed to go get some rest, so after making sure the driver knew he had to take us back to our respective hotels, excused himself and went upstairs.
Stealthkitty and I stayed a little longer for some pizza that had been ordered in the meantime, then left.

Sunday:

The early part of the eve was pretty much the repeat of the previous one; more telling of “the story”, promoting, various introductions to other VIP guests - you can switch and move the factors around as you see fit, the result will remain the same.
Only difference to the other two after show meet and greet was; that this time there was no drinking involved (dratz!!) and the cast was going to come out in the lobby to meet the audience members who had stayed behind - would you believe, almost half of them left straight after the performance?! I mean, what’s wrong with some people, are they nuts???
Anyhoo, you guys saw the pics; the cast members mingled, talked to everybody, we all had a very good time until the ushers decided they wanted to go home, and kicked…I mean, politely told us, it was time to leave.

Just as well, this time there was an after show party at another club to attend to, so a few of us got into three of four different cars, and headed out.
Something I didn’t know about Texas law, is that no alcohol can be sold in public places after 2:00am, so comparing to a night out in London, the two we had at clubs finished pretty quickly but it was still nice to have the opportunity to spend time with Keith in this type of venues. Shall we call it; every fan’s dream, being able to rub elbows with their idol as well as other people in the business, and talk about theater and all sorts of other interesting stuff. I certainly enjoyed myself and would take another such trip at the drop of a hat.
When the night was over, we all said goodbye, hugged and agreed to meet in London if, by the will of the Gods, the show is really going to be moved there sometime soon.

Alright, that’s pretty much it for my report. Sorry if at times I went on and on about stuff you might not find that interesting, but like I said before, it was a pretty fabulous weekend for me and I truly had a blast, so I hope you will indulge me.
And once again, in the event I didn‘t elaborate enough on a specific subject, feel free to ask questions.
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

Lea

Post by Lea » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:51 am

This was really fantastic! :)

And could you tell more about what you were talking with Keith? And what have you learned from Keith's notes?

Hugs,
Lea.

shione123

Post by shione123 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:45 pm

I'm glad you had a wonderful time and that you got to spend the time that you did with Keith. That was a great gift he gave you. Did you manage to get thru the list you made from the board? You didn't mention any singing while swinging from the rafters...lol :)

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:16 am

More elaboration on Keith dancing if you please Ashanti?
Slow dance, Salsa, or the Hully Gully?
Maybe Dirty Dancing? :twisted:
Don't tell me dear readers you didn't go there, I know you did. :P

IrisD
Site Admin

Post by IrisD » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:56 am

Oh D., now you got me... :oops:

But imagine Keith, dancing a Waltz has a spezial kind of magic, don't you agree :love1:
What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:42 pm

How about in tights hehe

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Lol, oh you ladies make me laugh!! :lol:

Lets start from the end, shall we...he definitely wasn't wearing tights Sprinks, nor was he dancing a Waltz Iris (though I'm sure it would have been pretty entertaining to witness if he had been :wink:) there was no dirty dancing involved either D, you naughty girl you - IIRC, they were playing some R&B at the time and he did a few moves, maybe cause it would have looked bad being the only one standing there unmoving when the rest of us were all doing our thing.

As for Shione's post; no, no singing while swinging from the rafters was needed to get his attenction, thank Heavens!!! :rolleyes:
I definitely managed to say Hi from all the MBers, and as usual he was pleased to hear that a number of 'the usual suspects' remain in touch with each other to this day and that they all think of him.
As for the list of questions; as I said in the report, I asked about the website and MB, but unfortunately there wasn't a lot of time left between his work related ingagements, to go into much more than that - oh, I did get to pick his brain on Saturday night about something to do with the fanfic I write, but that's a little sensitive of a subject for me, so I hope you guys won't mind if I don't share what was said on a public forum such as this.
Hopefully next time we'll get to chat for a little longer...or better yet, some more of you will be able to attend a performance and we'll all have a big ol'reunion with the man! :D

And finally to Lea's post. What I wrote above should answer the first of your questions, as for the second; I don't know if I've actually learned anything from his notes, but like I mentioned before, I find very interesting to see the process he goes through when dealing with a new character.
I guess 'The Ancestor's Breath' was already a bit of a give away on the fact Keith likes to create some sort of a back story for his roles, but seeing it written directly on the script by way of asking himself questions on that specific character's life before the time when the play is taking place, is definitely pretty cool.
Also I've noticed from last year to this one, that the questiones remain mostly the same; how old is the character he plays, what he's been doing till the moment he's involved in the facts described in the play, what does he think/how does he interacts with the other characters he comes in contact with.
For instance, in this specific play where the character of Booster has been in jail for twenty years and not seen his father for all that time, Keith made a note of the moment in which the two clap eyes on each other for the first time in such a long while, how Booster feels inside; "hesitant and nervous", he wrote...like I said, very interesting stuff.
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:24 pm

Not to blow my own horn or anything, but guess who made Keith's original website's homepage??? :newangel: :newangel: :newangel:
Go check it out, there are a couple of other nice pics also featuring our man and some of the cast members!!!! :wink:

shione123

Post by shione123 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:26 am

I checked it out, Ashanti. TOOT TOOT. I'll blow the horn for you. :D

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:47 am

^^^
Oh thank you dear...I guess two blowing the horn are better than one!!! :lol:

King'sChild

what's about Keith' new furniture line?

Post by King'sChild » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:31 pm

In the interview with KTSU-Radio Keith noted that his new furniture line that he is unveiling soon would be ideal for the anyone.
Do you know where and when Keith will do this?

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:27 pm

^^^
Hi King'sChild and welcome to the Board. :D

As for your question; I couldn't really tell you when the unveiling will occur, sorry.
As I'm sure you're aware, Keith has been making individual pieces of furniture for a couple of years now, but never really with the intention of selling them to the general public - if this has now changed and he's making an entire line of them is great, but I don't think that a specific date to reveal his latest creations has been set yet.
I'm sure Terrence Pace told you the same in his reply to your email of a few weeks back...still, since this was mentioned at his website, my suggestion would be to watch that space and see what happens, I'm sure he will update us as soon as more info is available.
Also, Keith himself might post something at the Official page now that he has decided to make more use of it.
Fingers crossed we won't have to wait for too long. :wink:

King'sChild

Post by King'sChild » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Thank's Ashanti for your answer. Pace told me only that he gives my mail to Keith. There are many celebrities with own labels for parfumes, clothes or accessories. So why shouldn't have Keith his own furnitures-line?
Last edited by King'sChild on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:48 pm

King'sChild wrote:So wy shouldn't have Keith his own furnitures-line?
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he shouldn't have one, I think it would be really cool if he did, but until not at least I know he never really thought about selling the pieces he made.
Fingers crossed he's changed his mind and that his fans will get to enjoy his work. :D

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:18 am

Can anyone here see what is on Keith's homepage? I think they were supposed to be pictures but I can't see them (just blank squares Jitney Houston 08 Thanks for your support and Stay tuned.) Please let me know.