One more stage role for KHC.

Discussion about all the stuff Keith has worked on,
along with what he will work on in the future

Moderators: D.Rabbit, Ashanti, Karin, mancheeks64

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:06 am

Being featured in the site's Photo Gallery seems the minimum in way of a thank you, wouldn't you say?!
Yes, I'd say that.
He's a promo man, and putting a positive spin on what ever he can is his job. Even if it starts to grate on your nerves. :D

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:19 pm

IrisD wrote:So, is there a date you can give me? Only that I know how much time I have to save enough money to go to the UK! :lol:
No, no date as of yet. My hope is for sometime next year, but I guess it'll depend on which theater they're going to use, they're usually booked years in advance over here. There was mention of the Hammersmith Apollo in West London (wihich BTW is very close to where I live) but nothing definite. We'll have to just wait and see, I guess.
I would love to come, but I fear that it is a bit expensiv to book a hotel.
You're right, hotels in London can be a tad expensive, of course is all about the area one wants to stay in; if you're prepared to stay somewhere away from Central London, then it should be okay.
Same thing goes for the kind of hotel you choose; if a hostel type place is fine with you, the price will be greatly lowered obviously, even a simple 'bed and breackfast' hotel would do, they're usually pretty cheap and if they decide to go with the Apollo, there are quite a few B&Bs on Shepherd's Bush Rd which is in walking distance from the theater.
Again, is all pretty much wishful thinking at this point, but there is nothing wrong in planning ahead! :wink:
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:22 pm

D.Rabbit wrote:Yes, I'd say that.
He's a promo man, and putting a positive spin on what ever he can is his job. Even if it starts to grate on your nerves. :D
Oh I'm not saying he wasn't doing his job correctly, quite the opposite in fact, I was simply curious to know 'when' and 'how much' I was gonna get paid for all that publicity! :lol: :wink:
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:34 pm

I recommend B&B - in GB they are often very good and rather cheap.
War doesn't decide who is right. It only decides who is left.

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:21 am

I've just uploaded few more pics from the trip; thankfully these are much better quality than the ones that were taken with my crappy camera. :wink:

Enjoy!!

D.Rabbit

Post by D.Rabbit » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 pm

Those additions are wonderful!
Love your tie died top too. It looks cool and comfortable.
Curious as ever, what is that round thing that Keith is holding in the group shot #535 and did someone hit him with a shrink ray? :D

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:48 pm

^^^
Thanks sis, glad you enjoyed them!
D.Rabbit wrote:Curious as ever, what is that round thing that Keith is holding in the group shot #535 and did someone hit him with a shrink ray? :D
He was holding his camera, had been taking pics of me, All and Russell just a moment before joining us.
As for the shrink ray; you know Keith, he was trying to blend in with the rest of us dwarfs. :lol:
There was a small couch against the wall behind us, and he folded one of his legs on it so that he could level with...me I guess, since as usual, I was the shortest one in the group - sweet of him or what?! :wink:

IrisD
Site Admin

Post by IrisD » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Ashanti wrote: Again, is all pretty much wishful thinking at this point, but there is nothing wrong in planning ahead! :wink:

But hey, if he really comes I will be there!
What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:02 pm

wow! awesome pics! Is Keith going to let his hair grow long again?

I know this sounds foolish but didn't you feel a bit weird being a minority among the mainly African American audience and cast?

I think I must explain the background of my question, else you might think I am a racist idiot:

Here in rural Bavaria you hardly ever seen anyone of African descent and I saw my first dark-skinned person when I was in my mid-20s. My (African American) BF lives in a mainly AA part of Los Angeles and sometimes I feel really odd there, when I go shopping and am the only Kaukasian in all the supermarket and everyone stares at me (or tries deperately not to stare). It's a feeling as if at work when you take off your coat you discover that you forgot to put on your dress....

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:03 am

mare_serenitatis wrote:wow! awesome pics! Is Keith going to let his hair grow long again?
Glad you enjoyed them Mare. :D
I don't think Keith is going to leave his hair long except for playing that specific role, but one can always hope!! :wink:
I know this sounds foolish but didn't you feel a bit weird being a minority among the mainly African American audience and cast?

I think I must explain the background of my question, else you might think I am a racist idiot:
Is perfectly fine to ask questions my dear, I know you're by no means, a racist idiot. And the answer is, no I didn't.
Is very typical for me to end up making friends with black people both here in the UK and in the States; majority of my friends are black, so is mini Tyr's father and most of our common friends, so no I felt perfectly at ease in the company of the cast members and audience.
I think something that helps AA people to accept me more easily amongst them is the way I look; wearing dreadlocks is a clear indication of the fact I have things in common with both races, or at least that I'm open to deal with both races, then when they find out I'm a Rasta that's it I'm part of the "family" so to speak.
Hope that satisfies your curiosity sufficiently.

kooks

Post by kooks » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:18 am

ok. now i am really interested.... always wondered about rastafarian religion. i know dreadlocks are seen as sign of spirituality ....am i right in thinking it shows you care more for spirituality than you do your appearance? does that mean your dreads are done the neglect way? (afraid cheated with mine and had them made...)
am aware this is not anything to do with KHC and projects so if you are willing would be grateful if you could tell me more on talking with friends section. :D
always keen to understand others belief systems. its like putting me in a grow bag....though will always see myself as basicly a pagan nature loving bare foot in the woods kinda a gal!
today today sounds far away. tomorrow is already gone

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:50 pm

kooks wrote:ok. now i am really interested.... always wondered about rastafarian religion. i know dreadlocks are seen as sign of spirituality ....am i right in thinking it shows you care more for spirituality than you do your appearance?
Dreads are a sign spirituality and also self-awareness. The hair doesn't get cut in Rastafarian religion because it should stay as natural as possible just as it would have been back in the days of the Scriptures.
It's also a sign of strength and of one's pride...I think this subject fits fine in this Thread cause Keith's dreads used to be his pride; that man loved his hair and I know for a fact he misses it a lot, but of course, due to the nature of his work he's also aware that change is inevitable unless one wants to remain stale, and so he cut his glorious mane off. :(
does that mean your dreads are done the neglect way?
No, my dreads are very neat. They have to be in order to live in polite society, but yeah, the proper way a Rasta should wear his/her dreads is the "neglect" way - it isn't even a question of neglect, the hair should be allowed to grow naturally, but as I said, in this day and age one can't afford to look untidy and so we take extra care of our pride and joy, our locks.

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks for the photos Ashanti. He looks good but he needs to quit hiding his height.

BTW-You are probably glad you left Houston when you did. They will start getting pouring down rain tonight and tomorrow thanks to Hurricane Dolly (the northern edge of the rain band). :( At least, they aren't getting the full brunt of it, though.

Stay well everyone.

Sheila/ladybug/bigmama

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:59 pm

We had Dolly's little sister here on Saturday afternoon - almost out of the blue we had a rainstorm like those Hollywood firehose "Monsoon storms" you always see in the movies. The water came down practically in sheets, with the force of a steam hammer. I barely managed to get the laundry in. The only one who really enjoyed it was my dad's water turtle LOL

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Well, I’ve finally recovered from the stupid head cold I fell sick with almost as soon as I returned from Houston (no surprise there; it was in the 90s every single day in TX, and only in the Mid 60s in the UK) so I thought I should make a start on my report of the trip.
Since so much happened in the space of those short (waaay too short) 5 days, I might end up forgetting to mention some detail here and there, so you guys feel free to ask questions if you like and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Thursday:

At 6:15am I set out for the station to catch the train that would take me to the airport; my flight was at 9:30 and I got there in plenty of time to check in, do a little last minute shopping (Ashanti, just like a silly Kludge, forgot her make up bag at home and had to restock for the trip) and go through all the security checks with half an hour to spare.
The plane left on time and after a short…NOT, 9hrs and 45mins flight, I arrived in sunny Houston.
From George Bush Intercontinental airport I went straight to my hotel to rest, I was absolutely shuttered (Texas is six hours behind England, so to all intents and purposes, I lost an entire night while traveling) but once I got there I was very happy to find my tickets and VIP pass that had been left for me by Terrence the promoter - apparently it was a very good thing that I got in touch with him to point out Keith’s photo on his website was wrong all the way back in June, we started corresponding via email and he promised me the VIP treatment in the event I was really gonna take the trip to Houston. :D
When I opened the envelope containing the tickets I nearly fainted after realizing that this not only contained the three for the evening shows of Friday, Saturday and Sunday which we had agreed upon, but also one for each matinee - YAY!!!
When I called him to thank him for that, he said it was quite alright and that traveling such a long way needed to be rewarded somehow; having the chance to attend every show that weekend, seemed the best way to him...oh, and believe you me, mine too!! :wink:

Friday:

Got up pretty early in the morning and immediately called my friend back home to check on mini Tyr and brag slightly about having kick a*ss seats for every single show…I know, I’m really bad, ain’t I?
Anyhow, I went to Starbucks for coffee and cake (an absolute must when I’m in the U.S. even thought I’m not too much of a coffee person) then on to some shopping in the nearby mall; got a pair of ‘to die for’ shoes which in my opinion were going to go perfectly with the outfit I had decided to wear at the theater that eve, then some souvenirs for mini Tyr and friends and after that it was back to the hotel for a bite to eat and getting ready to go to the Hobby Center.
In retrospect, I realize I probably started getting ready entirely too early, but I was meant to meet Terrence at 7:00pm and didn’t want to be late, plus I was quite excited at the idea of going to see Keith, so...
BTW, I won’t go into too much detail about the play itself since D. posted some synopsis somewhere upthread and I already mentioned in my very first post after I got back, that it was a really cool show and the cast did a wonderful job of it - still if there is anything specific you’d like to know about it, as I said, feel free to ask.

I got to the Zilkha Hall before the agreed time and waited for a few minutes for Terrence to arrive. After we said Hi, he told me he would try to get me backstage to see Keith before the show started, then went off to arrange things.
Unfortunately the cast was in a meeting at the time, so I had to wait till the end of the show before being able to see him. No biggy, so long as I was going to meet him at some point, it was all good to me…and boy, did I ever have that chance? Ya’ll saw the pics, right?! :twisted:
Then finally came the time to go into the auditorium, and here I had the second pretty big surprise of this vacation.
The seats Terrence had sorted out for me were in the Orchestra area, but they were not in the first row as I had imagined (those which people can normally buy either at the Box Office or online) nooo, these were seats specifically designed for V.I.P guests, and were situated at no more than 5 feet away from the stage in two rows of twelve chairs.
FIVE FEET FROM THE STAGE!!!! :shock: Man I was so darn close, that if any of the actors had sneezed, I would have got my second shower of the day.
Fortunately for me, the stage itself was not higher than 4 feet, so no straining of the neck was involved while watching the show…well, except for when our Actor Fella was on! :lol:
As I said before, Keith was absolutely awesome, and even though his stage time was a little shorter than in Cuttin’ Up, I know he much preferred portraying this role that the one last year.
Plus so close to where all the action was, I got to experience all the different emotions, feelings and nuances of his character, it was really quite impressive.
I’m truly hoping that StageWalkers Productions will manage the not small feat of bring Jitney over to the UK sometime soon, I would attend more shows in a hear beat if that was the case.

Gotta go now, but I will post the last part of Friday evening’s events and some more stuff, probably tomorrow.

To Be continued…