Keith Is Doing a Reading!!‏

Discussion about all the stuff Keith has worked on,
along with what he will work on in the future

Moderators: D.Rabbit, Ashanti, Karin, mancheeks64

D.Rabbit

Re: THE BRASS BUTTERFLY by William Golding

Post by D.Rabbit » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks ladies for starting this thread, I've been a little busy of late.
I found, and not without a great deal of hard looking, this site that is discussing the subject of the play but you have to pay to read the rest.
This play is not very well documented on the web and I hope KHC finds the time to add some information to the Wikipedia site set up for Golding's plays

Two things come to me off the top of my head, that is the similarity of the paranoia of William Gibson and his fear of the near future and the print I bought yesterday by Joe Libertelli that depicts the tearing down of nuclear power plants by thousands of people using cables under a sleeping sun.

The struggle between advancing through technology and inertia will always be an issue with the more settled in their ways. Youth will jump to it, anything new that upsets the old is all right by them!

The play appears to go in other directions, to do with beliefs, something like if God wanted us to fly he would have given us wings?
Unconditional Love is all you need.

Osiris Under Glass

King'sChild

Re: Keith Is Doing a Reading!!‏

Post by King'sChild » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:49 am

Has someone saw Keith at the reading in Manhattan? Or take pics?
Wenn es weh tut, ist es keine Liebe!
If it hurts, it isn't love!

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Sprinks went, but it seems she's still busy drooling over the pictures :mrgreen:

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Sorry to correct you there Mare, but Sprinks didn't go in the end, her grandson was under the weather and she decided to stay home and tend to him instead.
Hopefully there'll be other occasions to see him doing something on stage now that he's back on the East Coast, she's really earned that right after having waited the best part of 6 years to do so.
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:27 pm

I have been actually trying to find some review about the show, but was unsuccessful in my attempt. I checked out the facebook page but was also lost there too.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:58 pm

aww, what a pity!
Is her grandson ok again? I hope it's nothing serious.

Keith is still young (as are we, at least at heart), so we all will get plenty of chances to meet him, I'm sure

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:32 pm

That's all I could find:

The play:
Comedy. By William Golding.
Cast: 8m., 1w. (Extras.) As in Lord of the Flies, Golding pits intelligence against irrationality, but this time the battleground is Caesar's summer home. In bursts Phanocles, an Egyptian inventor, and his sister Euphrosyne, secretly a Christian. Phanocles has invented a steamboat and a cannon. The rational Phanocles bemoans the irrational nature of man, Caesar invokes Jupiter and others try to use reason. Via a combination of all of these, a happy climax is finally reached. One int. set.
The play THE BRASS BUTTERFLY (1958), is based on Golding's short story 'Envoy Extraordinary'.

The novella:
Envoy Extraordinary is a 1956 novella by William Golding, published along with Clonk Clonk and The Scorpion God in the collection The Scorpion God.
Envoy Extraordinary is set in Ancient Rome, in and around the Emperor's court. The aged Emperor lives with his favourite grandson, the seventeen year old Mamillius. The true heir, Posthumus, is governor of a distant province, but is jealous of Mamillius.
The normal Roman world is shattered by the arrival of the inventor, Phanocles. He brings many inventions that are far ahead of his time, including the pressure cooker, steam engines and explosives.

Books:
The Scorpion God (including Envoy extraordinary) http://www.amazon.com/scorpion-god-Thre ... 0151364109
and other compilations http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... ry&x=0&y=0
(all available only second hand, it seems)

The text of the play (the Brass Butterfly),too, is available only second hand: http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Butterfly-W ... 137&sr=1-3
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... ly&x=0&y=0

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:52 pm

As far as I know he's alright. Sprinks said he was teething pretty badly and had a little fiver on the day in question.
Oh well, like you said, planty more chances for all of us to see our Actor Fella in action. :D
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Ouch! Getting teeth is almost as unnerving as losing them. I sooo sympathize with the little darling :comfort:

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Hey guys it been a day or so that I was off line. Mare, littleman is okay he has his days it would appear all his little teeth have decided to make a appearance at the same time. But there nothing we can do to prevent that but give as much comfort we can. But thanks for asking. he'll be right as rain once they make their initial break through. He is doing allot of drooling these days. But the day in question I was more or last giving my poor daughter a break, she is a new mom and she was losing what sane mind she had left. But I think she's getting the hang of it now Here's Mr X-man displaying his newly painful teeth Oh and there are a few more in that little mouth that are not visable yet.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Getting them all at the same time - geez, why didn't that idea occur to me, 45 years ago! It'd have spared me such a lot of sleepless nights
Well, I'll simply get my next set of teeth all at the same time, in 25 years ;)

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:22 pm

This little guy is a trooper now when they start paining him he now has a habit of clamping down on what ever gets into them litle hands. I started keeping his teething ring in the freezer and believe ou me they work very well now with a touch of Oragel hehe