Keith starring in the Duchess of Malfi (Feb 27 - March 14)

Discussion about all the stuff Keith has worked on,
along with what he will work on in the future

Moderators: D.Rabbit, Ashanti, Karin, mancheeks64

Ashanti

Re: Keith starring in the Duchess of Malfi (Feb 27 - March 14)

Post by Ashanti » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:22 am

In light of the positive reviews, the show has been extended, it will now run through March 28. :woohoo: :jump:
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:16 am

Hey Everybody!

Wanted to say a quick Hi before I'm off to the airport (6 hrs and counting now) with a little luck I'll have some anecdotes to share with y'all when I get back and pix. :wink:
Not to worry, I have the usual list of Hellos for Keith all ready to be delivered, hope I haven't forgotten any names, but I don't think so since it is so few of us posting on the MB lately.

Chat to y'all after March 16. :bighug:
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:45 am

Safe journey Ashanti. :cow: :lol:
Will be waiting with baited breath for your return. :drool:

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 am

Hey guy!

Just back from NYC this morning, everything went well, will be posting more about the trip, show and meeting with Keith as soon as I get my bearings back. :wink:

ME, you've got mail. :D

Reserved Cutie

Post by Reserved Cutie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Hello, everyone. I'll make this quick. I know that I am here under a different name but it is I Stealthkitty. I know that it has been a long time since Keith has shown his face and I know that you all are anxious for word about him. I attended the March 27, 2010 show at the Red Bull Theater. The play was wonderful. Keith looks healthy and much as he did when he first appeared on Y and R in the role of Damon Porter. He still had that "Tyr" build at the time. I thought that he looked thinner in Houston and Atlanta. Anyway, I will post my review of the play for you later. I did not speak to him personally because - well - he doesn't answer emails and I thought that since he's not receptive to my emails he won't be receptive to my person. It's the way I was raised - never make a pest out of one's self and don't wear out one's welcome.

Reserved Cutie

Post by Reserved Cutie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:51 pm

The play was wonderful. Let me start by stating the actors performed in ordinary clothes, not period costumes. The Duchess however, wore a stunning white gown and her brother the Cardinal, dressed in the robes of a cleric. Everyone else, plain old 20th century garb. Staging was at a minimum. The state consisted of what appeared to be a single platform with scalfolding all around. There were red velvet curtains and the lighting looks like something form Home Depot. There was also a single red chair at the end of the stage covered in red velvet. This did not detract from the play or performances at all. In fact, I think that the minimalist approached enhanced enjoyment because they did such a wonderful job that your imagination filled in what they did not provide. It was very good. They were very inventive with props as well. For example, the Duchess twin brother pulled out his "sword" or in this case a switchblade. The actors, with exception of the title character and her brothers played multiple roles. There were only two black actors in the play that I saw, Keith and one other fellow. Keith looks well. The facial hair is back and he looks much like he did when he first appeared on the Young and the Restless as Damon Porter. He was fresh off of Andromeda and still had that "Tyr" build. Well, he has it back again.

Anyway, I will try to give my review. Please bear in mind that this is not what I do for a living. The play opens with pall bears bearing the coffin of I will assume the Duchess's late husband. They are followed by a woman dressed in mournign gear and veil. They deposit the coffin onto the stage and block the audience's view of the Duchess while she disrobes of the mourning clothes and puts on a stunning white gown. The Duchess has decided to on with her life.
Anyway, she marries a young man who is not of her social station - he works as a steward in her home. The two keep their marriage and family a secret from all except her maid. Anyway, her twin brother and brother the Cardinal get suspicious and they soon discover her secret marriage and the children. When the Duchess finds out she sends her young husband and their eldest child into what she considers to be safety. She is betrayed by an ex-soldier of fortune who befriends her but is secretly working for her brother. He rats her out of course and her brothers throw her into the dungeon of her home where they torment her day and night. In one scene, the torment the poor woman by showing her wax figures purporting to be her husband and elded child, bloody handing from nooses. They also surround her home at night with inmates from the local asylum who spend the night howling. She quiets them by singing them a song and they launch into this hilarious dance. The dance is part chorus line and part water ballet sans the water (like something out of one of those old Esther williams movies).

Finally, the Duchess is killed along with her infant twins. The murder of the children is gruesome. The action takes place behind a lighted screen that allows you to see forms. There is of course the sound of babies and they use dolls to represent the children. One of these unfortunates has his or her brains bashed in by the assassins. Her twin brother goes mad when he learns of her death. The Cardinal, who has been carrying on an adulterous affair with a local married woman, is the one who really orderd his sister's murder. Meanwhile, the soldier hired to carry on the dead is remorseful and vows to protect the Duchess's young husband and eldest child who are very much alive. The Cardinal's piece of fluff has developed the hots for the soldier who is not sure which brother it was who hired him to off the Duchess. The fluff gets her boyfriend the Cardinal to admit that he did it (the soldier is in hiding listening). The Carinal gets the fluff to swear to secrecy and has her to kiss his bible to swear that she will keep silent. She does but she doesn't know that he poisoned the bible. So of course she dies but not before telling him that she has ratted him out. The play is near its completion. The soldier finds the Duchess's husband and accidently kills him. The play ends with the assassin, and both brothers dead as well.

Keith played a count in the italian court - Malateste I think was his name. He also played other roles and was one of the crazy dancers. Most of the actors played multiple non-speaking roles with their faces covered.

It was a very physical play. It also had the power to really draw one in. I loved it. Everyone did an excellent job and I am glad that I went.

mare_serenitatis
Site Admin

Post by mare_serenitatis » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Welcome back, Kitty! Would you like me to change your name to your old username? Your new one is cute, too, though :)

Thanks for the report! That's just the thing for us who live too far away to see our hero in person.
I'd really like to see Keith as a crazy dancer. Most of the time, men with such a lot of muscles tend to move in a rather awkward or even clumsy way. But I was really surprised how graceful Keith moves in some Andromeda scenes.

Does anyone happen to know if Keith took special dancing lessons or whether dancing is part of acting lessons in the US?

Reserved Cutie

Post by Reserved Cutie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:13 am

Thank you Mare. And you are welcome for the report. Another thing I must add - if you guys have not visited New York City - you have got to go. That place if fabulous. I live in a small town in the south. And to me, New York was like stepping into a new world. I didn't do any of the guided tours. I simply walked up one street and down the next. It is so big and bustling and full of life and energy and divers peoples. It's great. You all owe it to yourselves to visit at least once if you haven't already. I am definitely going back. I love it.

About the Red Bull - the night of the play - my taxi driver and I are driving around looking for the theater and can't find it. He is from New York - I am not. The theater is located in St. Clements church - we almost missed it.

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:38 am

I am from NJ, right across the famous GWB (George Washington Bridge) I can understand how a threather like that can be hard to locate. I am born and breed on the streets of NYC. but I too would be unable to locate anything. However thanks to my daughters trusty TOM TOM. we can find almost anything now . I guess if this recession didn't hit us all the way it did, these Cab Driving companies may find it easier to purchase some TOM TOM's for all their cabs to make it easier to get to places, without getting lost. Lol!!! The play sounds wonderful, I only wish I was able to see it. But the next one I don't plan to miss.

Reserved Cutie

Post by Reserved Cutie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:58 am

My sister and I were talking about New York today and are planning a family trip. I am really looking forward to it. I started putting money aside for a return trip the moment I got home. I really hated to leave. I left on a Monday morning - a rainy Monday.

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:17 pm

Aw sounds like you missed a major storm. East Coast got hit pretty bad then, glad you made it out in time. So far things are back to normal. What other sights did you take in. Manhatten can be pretty sectacular at night with the lights, Broadway. Time Square. Did you get a chance to go to Radio music Hall / Rockefella Center. I hope you got to see more then just the play. You probably mentioned it already but how long were you in town for?

Reserved Cutie

Post by Reserved Cutie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi Sprinkles. I arrived in New York City around 6 p.m. on Friday March 26 and left Monday March 29. I did get a chance to see the night lights of broadway. I saw NBC where the Today show is shot. I didn't do any official tour - I just walked up and down the streets. It was so spectacular. I tooks some photos of those wonderful marquees and got a chance to visit Macy's where I got this fabulous purse on sale - designer no less. It was kind of weird being squirted with perfume with each step that took, but otherwise it was great. It was cold while I was there so I am glad that I brought both hat and coat. I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on W40th street - it was wonderful - everyone was nice and helpful. And that was a shock to me - everything I have ever heard about New York was wrong. I had always heard that New Yorkers were rude - didn't meet one rude person. From the impression that one gets from wathcing cop shows on t.v. - it looks like a drab, dirty, unpleasant place. It is the exact opposite. I live in a small town - so every street, every shop, every sound was sight seeing. I enjoyed it immensely. Upon my return, I plan to visit these spots - by that time it will be warmer.

ladybug

Post by ladybug » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:32 pm

I'd like to add my thanks to reserved cutie for posting about the play, and of NY. It's much appreciated.

Reserved Cutie

Post by Reserved Cutie » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:04 am

ladybug wrote:I'd like to add my thanks to reserved cutie for posting about the play, and of NY. It's much appreciated.

You are very welcome.

sprinkles

Post by sprinkles » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi Reserved Cutie, I hope you get a chance to come back and take in all the sites, walking of course. minus the tours, I think they are over rated.

I had always heard that New Yorkers were rude - didn't meet one rude person. From the impression that one gets from watching cop shows on t.v. - it looks like a drab, dirty, unpleasant place. It is the exact opposite. I live in a small town -
Believe me my friend like most city you here of have their good and bad spots, Manhatten is actually the disney world section of NYC. where their is good their is bad. you know how that is. You happened to pick a good tourist trap to visit, now had you gone to a different burrow you have a different opinion, I think that's where you'd probably see the TV drama's Lol!!! like as they call it the buggy down bronx, Brooklyn, I like to call Crooklyn Lol!!! we have your Long Island and Staten Island Queens, like most place you have the good the bad and the ugly, hehe But I think everyone that visits the City should take a ride through the whole city to get the full flavor of NYC. I guess I was born and raised here so I am use to it all. By the way in the Summer I must say Long Island have some of the best beaches in the city. Did you see the movie coming to America with Eddie Murphy Now that was filmed in Queens, again some are great spots and some look just like the movies. If you get a chance to return take in all the sites. See it all. :alien: