'Ruined' (Mar 18 - Apr 30)

Discussion about all the stuff Keith has worked on,
along with what he will work on in the future

Moderators: D.Rabbit, Ashanti, Karin, mancheeks64

Ashanti

Re: 'Ruined' (Mar 18 - Apr 30)

Post by Ashanti » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:10 am

Ooops, yeah sorry, forgot to post an update. :oops:
I'm leaving next Thursday, March 31...oh, and FYI, I'm getting excited too! :wink: :D
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Ok so, today is "Ruined" official opening night and the Denver Center has uploaded another of their Ten Minutes to Curtain vids; Ruined | NOW--April 30.
It features our Actor Fella both at the very beginning and further into the clip...Enjoy! :D
What does it profit a man to gain the world and loose his soul. If you don't know where you're coming from, you don't know where you're heading. Past, present and future.

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:12 am

Wow! That looks really interesting! 8)

SFG
And the nightwind greets him like a lover;
Her cold fingers brush against his cheek
Then she chases papers down the street
Past doorways, where lovers meet
And huddle in the night
- Garnet Rogers

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Couple things which might be of interest.

1) The first official review of Ruined by the Denverpost, which features two pix of our Actor Fella.

2) The latest edition of InFocus with Eden Lane featuring interviews with Ruined's director, the Denver Center Company dramaturg and the play's scenic designer and costume designer.
Keith is not featured in this, but I thought it to be a cool thing to see in order to better understand the creative process behind the production.

Enjoy! :D

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:54 am

Enjoy! :D
I did! Thank you. :D

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Hey Everybody!

At last I'm able to come over and post a brief report of my trip to Denver; lil'Alex has been sick since I got home on the 6 and all my time has been spent looking after him.
Anyhoo, he's feeling a bit better today, so here I am. :D

Ok, so, where to begin?...
Firstly let me say that the play was absolutely wonderful!!!! If you guys have read the review I posted up-thread (and watched the clip on YouTube) you should have an idea of what I'm talking about...also, you can find another very good review of it here which includes a mention of Keith's performance.

The whole ensemble cast was really good and rendered heartfelt and touching performances throughout the evening, culminating in standing ovations at the end of every show I went to see.
Keith was is fabulous self, and judging by the conversations we had over the days I spent in Denver, very happy to work for this specific Theatrical Company in both gigs he did on their stages, and looking forward to future projects.
That weekend he was also working on replying to questions sent to him by someone at republibot.com (a Republican online sci-fi community) which gave us the opportunity to talk about Tyr and Drom at some length, something we had not done for a very long time indeed, making the time we spent together even more fun.
FYI: I've linked the resulting interview on this page, but I will also post it to the Interview Thread in the Keith InfoCenter, just in case they take it off their site.
There is also another short montage of the play here; is just a minute or so long affair, but features our Actor Fella in one of the scenes, so I thought that would be enough for you guys to want to take a look at it. :wink:
The last performance I attended was followed by a Q&A session with some cast member (Keith included) which gave the audience the opportunity to ask questions about the play and the real life facts it is based upon.
I must say, for a lot of people it was a bit of a shocking realization that what they had just seen in the past two hours, is a pretty accurate rendition of things (some very sad and hard to stomach especially for a woman) that are taking place at this very moment in the Democratic Republic of Congo and other neighbouring African Counties.
So all in all, it wasn't just a great play to watch, but a bit of a eye opener too, which made the whole experience an even better one to be had at least in my opinion.

I think that's pretty much it, you guys know I'm not one for long reviews of the play itself (I leave that to more talented professionals, hence my posts of stuff about the production and its final result) but if anybody has questions, go ahead and shoot and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.
In saying that, I think Keith's interview also contains a few good answers to topics often discussed on this Board over the past years, not least of which making perfectly clear once and for all that he was never offered the role of Ronon in SG-Atlantis.
Also, there is a mention of a role he recently lost; this refers to the starring role in the upcoming staging of 'Othello' by the Shakespeare Theater of NJ this Sept.
Understandably it would be too long to get into the reasons why this gig fell through (not to mention that I wouldn't want to say more about this whole situation than I'm actually allowed to) but it suffices to say, that one of the main reasons was the differences of views/opinions that arose between the Company's Artistic Director (who was also supposed to direct the play) and Keith.
As I said, I don't want to go into too much detail about this, but it's safe to say that it's always painful to see squandered opportunity, and IMHO someone throwing away the chance to work with a greatly talented performer such as our Actor Fella due to feeling "intimidated" by his approach to a role, definitely falls under that category and makes me quite sad. :(
All the same, good things come to those who wait (not to mention deserving souls, and we all know Keith definitely fits both categories) so I know there will be plenty more opportunities to see him in all his glory, till that time comes y'all read the interview and as I said, feel free to ask me questions if you want.

Peace out! :D

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:50 am

Terrific stuff! :D

Thanks again, Ashanti :cheek:

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:06 pm

^^^
You're very welcome ME, and sorry for not replying sooner to your post, but being a lil'busy lately and had not had a chance to pop by here.

If you guys were wondering what our Actor Fella looked like in the role of Commander Osembenga in 'Ruined'...wonder no more! :wink:

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:45 am

Ashanti wrote: The last performance I attended was followed by a Q&A session with some cast member (Keith included) which gave the audience the opportunity to ask questions about the play and the real life facts it is based upon.
I must say, for a lot of people it was a bit of a shocking realization that what they had just seen in the past two hours, is a pretty accurate rendition of things (some very sad and hard to stomach especially for a woman) that are taking place at this very moment in the Democratic Republic of Congo and other neighbouring African Counties.
I was just sitting here thinking about this and it occurred to me that the Mountain Gorilla gets more press and way more protection from around the world.

Don't take me wrong, it is a very important cause. But, IMHO, what's happening to those women and children should be plastered all over every type of news information outlet around the world. At the very least, they are owed equal time and attention. :cry:

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:49 pm

^^^
I couldn't agree more with the point you're making ME.
Of course the welfare of endangered species like Mountain Gorillas is important, but so should be the one of fellow Human beings like the ones living in the DRC and other African Countries. That's why I am so happy that Lynn Nottage took the time to write a play like "Ruined" and in so doing, bring these horrific stories to the attention of audiences around the Western World whom otherwise would have continued to remain pretty much oblivious to the whole thing.
And of course, it was great that our Actor Fella got to be a part of the process. :D

Ashanti

Post by Ashanti » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:55 pm

A little tidbit in case you guys are interested; "Ruined" has received eight nominations by The Colorado Theatre Guild at the 2011 Henry Awards.

Nominations are as follows;

- Scenic Design: Michael Ganio

- Sound Design: William Burns

- Director: Seret Scott

- Lead Actress: Kim Staunton

- Supporting Actor: Sheldon Woodley

- Supporting Actress: Daphne Gaines

- Outstanding Ensemble

- Outstanding Production of a Play

Unfortunately Keith isn't personally nominated for anything, but he certainly plaid an intrinsic part of what made the play qualify in the last two categories, so that's good enough I'd say! :wink:
Winners will be announced on July 18, and I will be sure to post word if the play brings home any of the awards.

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:09 am

I'm glad he was in such a great play. And I hope it gives his career a boost because it's really nice to see him around. :) He mentioned that he might work on his website this summer. I hope he does. I wasn't around to see the first one. :(

A lot of great actors seem to be disappearing. Sign of the changing times, I suppose. :noidea:

Reality TV seems to be taking over. I don't much care for that. When I watch TV or a movie it's because I want an escape from reality. Therefore, I find that I don't watch much TV anymore.

Sci-Fi Girl

Post by Sci-Fi Girl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:58 pm

About the cause, here is an interesting site where you can donate to charities for free simply by clicking on their page. You click -> the page displays ads -> the advertisers pay the site -> the site pays the charities. The more you click, the more is donated!

They have pages for a number of different charities: the rainforest, breast cancer, oceans, big cats etc (and yes rescued primates too). You can click for each charity once per day (any more than that won't count).

One of their charities is Amnesty International, which is working to stop violence against women around the world.
how your click helps Amnesty International
Your free click generates donations from our sponsors. You may click once a day, every day. 100% of the donations raised go directly to Amnesty International to end the systematic violation of women's basic human rights.
Links:

the click to donate page for ending violence against women

more info about Amnesty International

Page with all the donate links

SFG Image
And the nightwind greets him like a lover;
Her cold fingers brush against his cheek
Then she chases papers down the street
Past doorways, where lovers meet
And huddle in the night
- Garnet Rogers

michael elizabeth

Post by michael elizabeth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:14 pm

You made my day, SFG. :D

:flowers:

Thank you so much for the links. :bounce: :cow:

shione123

Post by shione123 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks SciFi Girl for the info. :) :) I will definitely check into making a donation! I wanted to mention also mention the local charity to which I sometimes donate it is called Missionary Flights International and the link is http://www.missionaryflights.org/ if you're interested.