Check-In Thread-The Final Frontier

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Re: Check-In Thread-The Final Frontier

Post by Sean »

^ Well, that's good. Glad to have you back jgc, if only sporadically. I'm on city water too, I believe, but if one of the mains breaks ( like they tend to do when the temp fluxuates 30 degrees within 6 hours), we're screwed.

Good evening everyone! I've had a rough day. Damn headache. Now, I'm trying to find a balance of pain meds that will allow me to still be conscious enough to play the music tonight, yet not feel the pounding in my head. The concert should go well, with very little danger of crashing and burning...I'm hoping for a snow day tomorrow. We are supposed to get heavy lake effect starting in about an hour, and slick roads, since it's been raining, and the temp has dropped 20 degrees in the past 3 hours...I'll keep my fingers crossed.

australis, my dad's having computer issues too. His laptop caught a virus, and so far, it's taken 3 days to reformat the hard drive. It's not done yet. Does anyone know how many "allocation units" there are in a 20 GB hard drive? Right now we're at about 137,000. He's a bit concerned that a)it's taken this long, and b) the screen says "Trying to recover allocation unit", instead of just saying that the units have been recovered.

Have a nice evening everyone!

:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
blablover5
Centurion
Centurion

Post by blablover5 »

Welcome backish jgc, be warned though. They guys are up to their punning best again.
Lupine wrote:^there she is! :hello:
RJDiogenes wrote:^^ I just heard from the guy who is trying to fix my laptop. If he can track down the right part, it will cost me $250. If he can't, it will cost me $700. Which means I'll forget it and buy a new laptop for probably around $500. Some choices. :mellow:
I saw an add from Target yesterday that had a laptop for only $299. Figures deals like that only happen when I have other expenses.
I think that's what my Husband gotish. All I know is he has a laptop coming. Personally I prefer not knowing.
Arisen from the ashes of many burned asunder accounts I come to fill your heart with blackest ink and glitter!
DeaconBlues
Lictor
Lictor

Post by DeaconBlues »

If it is the one I got, make sure you are willing to learn something about Linux, or get a USB based way to install Windows, as it will likely not come with a CD/DVD drive. (External USB CD/DVD drives would work).

Oh, and hello.
History is written by the victors, edited by the self appointed morally superior, stripped of life by education, and forgotten by the average person.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

jgc is back! :bounce: I hope you get power back at your house soon. :yes:
jgc wrote:RJ, how is it you folks escaped the wrath of the ice??
I don't know. :conf: I was expecting a big storm on Friday, but it never happened. And then it warmed up. I heard it was 60 in Boston today, but I never set foot outside so I don't know. :mellow:

Good evening, everyone. :hello:
Lupine wrote:Strange thing yesterday. All but one of the pigeons we usually have hanging around disapeared. Not one in sight now. Makes me kind of paranoid. I wonder if they know something we don't :unsure:
I wonder if the same predator that got your chicken is lurking around. :mellow:
Lupine wrote:I saw an add from Target yesterday that had a laptop for only $299. Figures deals like that only happen when I have other expenses.
That's a good deal. But I have a feeling there will be as good or better deals after Christmas, the way things are going this year. :mellow:
Sean wrote:The concert should go well, with very little danger of crashing and burning...
I hope so. Good luck. :thumbsup:
His laptop caught a virus, and so far, it's taken 3 days to reformat the hard drive. It's not done yet. Does anyone know how many "allocation units" there are in a 20 GB hard drive? Right now we're at about 137,000. He's a bit concerned that a)it's taken this long, and b) the screen says "Trying to recover allocation unit", instead of just saying that the units have been recovered.
Well, I don't really know, but I it seems unreasonable for a reformat to take three days. I think he should try starting over.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^ Yeah, he just stopped it. He's going to try and install windows and see what happens.

Good evening. The concert went well. I really didn't expect it to be terrible, or anything, but it was certainly better than I thought we'd be. Our teacher's satisfied, and so are the seniors, so I guess we were fine. :yes:

Have a good evening everyone...and I'll keep my fingers crossed for that lake effect snow... :D

"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good luck with that snow-- me, I'm just hoping to see the light of day. :veryhappy:

Good morning, ReNexters. :hello:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Good morning guys! :hello:

Hopefully, the weather will worsen sometime before Christmas. We need a snow day. :yes:

Have a good day everyone!

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Good morning every one!

The power came back late last night!! :thumbsup: Late enough that I didn't bother packing my stuff and the cats and lugging everything home last night. Tonight. :yes:

I'm really happy. Now I can concentrate on getting the house ready for Christmas. Gotta still order the meat platter. Looks like I'm not going to get to mail the cookies and fudge to Florida in time for it to get there before Christmas. Things would look better if I'd actually made the stuff already.... :lol:

Have a nice day. Tonight, I will be checking in from HOME!!!!!! :yes:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

^
Glad to hear you can finally go home.

We have a winter weather advisory today. No snow, but more freezing rain. I am not looking forward to driving home from work.

Sean, snow days are better in January and February. Those are the months when the days drag on and on. Next week should be a short week for you. You only have to get through three more days this week, and a few next week (the schools here let out for break on either Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the district). Or is this your last week before winter break? If that's the case, then I can understand wanting an extended vacation. :lol:
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Just a quick check-in. Dad has an early check-up this morning at the hospital. Just routine.

It snowed yesterday.

Later.
blablover5
Centurion
Centurion

Post by blablover5 »

We had a nice little snowfall this morning. Then we had a weird ornament exchange in the office. I have never done one before, but now I have a pretty boring angel to um do something with.

I'm also going through some confusing women things that has me a touch worried, but I'm probably just over reacting a bit.
Arisen from the ashes of many burned asunder accounts I come to fill your heart with blackest ink and glitter!
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

^ :eek:

Cayla, I school ends on tuesday...only 5 more days!

Good evening everyone. I'm pissed. Just watching the news is depressing. NYS is apparently so in the shit financially, that they've started taxing everything they can. The tax for clothing under $110 has returned, they've decided to tax all cigarettes on the Indian reservations ( which is fine by me, but will definitely sour relations), and, they have come up with an obesity tax. So, anything that makes people fat, they can now tax. Pop, will now recieve an 18% tax...and other high sugar/calorie/fat could recieve a tax just as high, if not higher. Juices, will recieve a lower tax, which I don't see as fair, because some contain the same or more sugar than soda. However, they have decided not to tax diet soda. Which...is actually worse for you in the long run, due to all the chemicals and stuff they put in there to replace the sugar. :wtf: :warn: :rolleyes: :bleh: :mad: :slugger: :devil: :mad:

UGH!!!! That's it...I'm off to :canadian:

On the bright side, we have learned that Andre Thomas has picked 12 pieces for us to perform under his lead. Better yet, upon our request, Mr. Zogaib is reserving Slee Hall at UB again! :D

Glad to have you back jgc!

I'm off to vent...and do some homework. Have a good day everyone.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good evening!

I left work two hours early, to beat the traffic and the ice storm home.

My sister wants me to spend the day with her and Addie on Sunday for Addie's first Christmas cookie baking. I thought that was sweet of her to ask me. Of course I am going. :) Also, she invited us to Christmas dinner at her house with her dad (we are having our family Christmas on the 27th at our grandmother's). If someone would have told me a few years ago that one day I would be eating Christmas dinner with the "evil drunk stepfather from my childhood" I would have never believed them. It's strange how things and people change after so many years. I'm actually looking forward to Christmas day.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Morning all.

2nd PC still not fixed. After fiddling withit last night (ugh), it seems like it was, as suspected, either a hard disk failure, RAM failure, or both. I have to get another stick of RAM to test this. A different hard drive just brought up error msgs or boot loop, so inclined towards RAM.

I get a newletter from the Scotsman newspaper (being born there), and heard about this big thing they're organising for next year, Homecoming. I wish I'd known about it sooner! I have to take some of Mum's ashes back, to scatter in her favourite place, with her father's, but wasn't really planning to do it until 2010. Now I may have to accelerate things considerably.

The funny thing was I found there was an ad for it on YT
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pszgxCKz-0s
and when I watched it, I was unexpectedly moved to tears by it.
Maybe it's a sense of belonging that I'm missing here.
Mind you, it might jsut be the dire singing! :)
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

I'm home. Home! Home! Home! I've never experienced something like that before, and I hope to never experience it again. Being a refuge is no fun!

Tipper is thrilled to be home. He keeps climbing up in my lap. My family was great. Dad took us in for four days and nights and my sister and her husband helped me keep the water pumped out of the cellar. Thank God for family!

I'm very glad to be back with you, my friends, on a regular basis once again.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh: