Check-In Thread #89 - The Thread of the Snake

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
jgc
Senator
Senator

Re: Check-In Thread #89 - The Thread of the Snake

Post by jgc » Wed May 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Good afternoon. :hello:

Today would have been a perfect day to sleep ... all day. It's cloudy and rainy and just makes me tired. The cat, too.

If I can get up the energy I might do a little housework. Not my favorite thing, but better than taking a walk in the humidity and rain.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

That was a fairly inoffensive day. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:48 am
My daughter's band is touring the UK and Europe right now -- they did a show in Brighton last week. Now she's in Brussels. :cooldude:
Woohoo! :cooldude: Is she taping her shows or posting highlights online or anything?
I wonder if they can figure out what caused the stroke and what they can do to prevent a future one.
Hopefully. He was readmitted briefly because he was slurring his words, but there was nothing new going on, so they sent him home again. If I was admitted to the hospital every time I slurred my words, I'd never go home again.
Cayla wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:58 am
It's back to work for me. I'm bracing myself for a rough one. I'm on my own, and no one has been at the office since Thursday. I'm sure the answering machine is full, and there is a ton of mail to sort, and a ton of checks to process. I'll probably be bombarded with phone calls, too.
Ugh. That's the downside of a long weekend.
I hope your uncle gets better soon, RJ.
Me, too. He's not the type to react well to being compromised.
Lupine wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:11 pm
Part of it. Synopsis's are a pain the in the butt. It's like re-writing your book, cutting 90% out and still make it sound interesting.
"...and then a bunch of really cool stuff happens that you'll really like when you read about it, following which an interesting event occurs...."
jgc wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:05 pm
If I can get up the energy I might do a little housework. Not my favorite thing, but better than taking a walk in the humidity and rain.
Can you get one of those boats with a big fan in the back and zip around the Everglades looking for ancient ruins and living dinosaurs, or something?

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Wed May 30, 2018 10:39 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 pm
Woohoo! :cooldude: Is she taping her shows or posting highlights online or anything?
She did a live-stream on Facebook of one of their performances in England. That was probably 5 days ago. I'll ask her if there's a way to see a video of one of their live Euro shows.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Lupine wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:11 pm
Synopsis's are a pain the in the butt. It's like re-writing your book, cutting 90% out and still make it sound interesting.
Sounds like mission: impossible. Cue dramatic music. :sing:
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:39 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
She did a live-stream on Facebook of one of their performances in England. That was probably 5 days ago. I'll ask her if there's a way to see a video of one of their live Euro shows.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu May 31, 2018 12:34 am

^^ Okay, okay. I'd love to see it, I'd love to see it. :D

Lupy, did you mention that you live near Victorville? It was mentioned in today's Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Apparently a hundred houses were swarmed by tumbleweeds last month. I'm not sure if I should believe it or not. :mellow:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 am

RJDiogenes wrote:

Can you get one of those boats with a big fan in the back and zip around the Everglades looking for ancient ruins and living dinosaurs, or something?

Now that's a good idea! If I can get going fast enough, I won't care about the humidity! :lol:
Imagine by John Lennon

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Thu May 31, 2018 5:38 am

GM. didnt do much yesterday just 'thids n that'ing about and reading the second library book i got out the prvious day - oops - thats 2 books in less than 48 hours! ahead today chores/library trip/2 hr cleaning job.

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 am

Good morning! LOL I almost said good afternoon - it's so warm already.
Today is a public holiday in Bavaria and I'll take the opportunity to tidy up my flat - very urgently needed, indeed. I already weeded my flowerpots, bound up the tomatos and refilled the bird bath while it was still cool and now the living room is due - including 2 baskets full of laundry to iron. Not really on eof my favourite tasks but I'll reward myself with a good brunch: pork chop with homemade herb butter(into which some of the weeds will go), baby potatos and asparagus.
And there's still a slice of my homemade strawberry ice cream in the freezer ... :drool:
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu May 31, 2018 8:35 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Today should be another easy Thursday. I wish it was Friday, though.
jgc wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 am
Now that's a good idea! If I can get going fast enough, I won't care about the humidity! :lol:
Don't forget to take pictures. :D
huggle wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 am
Good morning! LOL I almost said good afternoon - it's so warm already.
Maybe you can go get some samples from an icy mountain stream or something. :yes:

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Thu May 31, 2018 9:06 am

good idea :) Today is a public holiday in Bavaria so I'll stay in, tidy up and enjoy the comparative coolness of my flat. Tomorrow and presumably 1-2 days longer I must sort out my Cinderella sample ;) But on Wednesday I'm scheduled to check on some 30 mountain springs. A colleague discovered that the permission for using them as drinking water source had expired in 2009. And there I always thought I was late :D
Whether the nearest town may keep on using them depends on whether the minimum amount of water remaining in the beds is ecologically sufficient and what weather better for establishing that than the current one? Even the oldest people can't remember a drought that bad. So, if in this weather there's enough water left, all is ok. If it's not enough, we can't renew the permission. Fortunately, the town council there is very reasonable and understanding. They have other wells and aren't dependent on keeping these ones. They'd just like to know asap because they are planning a renovation of the pipelines of those wells/springs they may keep using and there must be held what I believe is termed an invitation of tenders before August.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Thu May 31, 2018 9:37 am

Good morning!

Yesterday was not bad at all. It was scary how smooth things at work went. I work today from 6:45am-1:15pm.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life. -Jean Luc Picard

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu May 31, 2018 11:17 am

^^ I'm glad it went well. I know you weren't happy about the prospects for the day.

Happy Thursday, all. :hello:

Today I'm going to dream about eating huggle's strawberry ice cream. Tonight we leave for Virginia Beach for the weekend. Of course, rain is predicted the entire weekend :lol:

Hope y'all have a great day :yes:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu May 31, 2018 3:19 pm

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Trash pickup will likely be the most exciting thing to happen today.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:34 am
Lupy, did you mention that you live near Victorville? It was mentioned in today's Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Apparently a hundred houses were swarmed by tumbleweeds last month. I'm not sure if I should believe it or not. :mellow:
Yeah that's fairly common in the desert- at least in some areas. Tumbleweeds aren't native and they require disturbed soil to grow (so luckily not too many out my way).
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... ornia-city

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Thu May 31, 2018 5:04 pm

Good afternoon. :hello:

Don't know what today will turn out like. Need to do a few things around here. I would like to go to the store, but, you know, being the end of the month and all.....

I hope everyone has a good day.
Imagine by John Lennon

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 pm

unexpected trip out with L - grin. i was just feeding the birds, when she rang - and we were off for coffee/see the carpet of flowers, and pop into a couple stores in Arundel.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

That was an easy breezy Thursday. Now we just have to survive Friday.
huggle wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:06 am
A colleague discovered that the permission for using them as drinking water source had expired in 2009. And there I always thought I was late :D
You better check their liquor license, too. :unsure:
Cayla wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:37 am
Tonight we leave for Virginia Beach for the weekend. Of course, rain is predicted the entire weekend :lol:
Er... returning to the old spawning ground? :unsure:
Lupine wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:19 pm
Yeah that's fairly common in the desert- at least in some areas. Tumbleweeds aren't native and they require disturbed soil to grow (so luckily not too many out my way).
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... ornia-city
Yeah, that's exactly the incident from Ripley's. That's fascinating. And I didn't realize that tumbleweeds were such recent Russian invaders. They're such a cliche of the Old West.
jgc wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:04 pm
Don't know what today will turn out like.
I hope it turned out good, and less humid. :yes:
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 pm
unexpected trip out with L - grin. i was just feeding the birds, when she rang - and we were off for coffee/see the carpet of flowers, and pop into a couple stores in Arundel.
That's nice. Thursdays can be as good as Mondays. :D

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu May 31, 2018 11:15 pm

We're heading to the beach tonight. It's about a 2-hr drive. The weather is expected to be less than stellar, but it will still be nice to get away.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:14 am

GM. off out on an all dy bus pass in an hour or two - just need to decide where to head from littlehampton - two destinations in mind....hmmm...

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:21 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

It's Friday at last. In just about twelve hours, it will be time to kick back. :yes:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:36 am

Well that was a short week! :lol:

Good morning!

I'm not sure what I will do today. Funds are low until my tenant pays her rent. That will not be until this evening. If the weather is good, I will work in the yard, and hang out outdoors. If not, I will work on genealogy/clean the house.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life. -Jean Luc Picard

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Happy Friday, all :hello:

We hit some traffic driving down to the beach last night -- darn road construction! :mad:

But it's a nice day so far. The Wife and I will go on a long bike ride thru neighborhoods and thru this huge park near the beach. Hope y'all have a groovy day :yes:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Good morning, all. :coffee:

Just odds'n ends today, though I do have to contact a publisher to find out what's up with their computer.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:30 pm

decided to go to mChichester to explore the canal trail - there being a pathway for walking alongside the old canals... i hadnt realized it was more of a nature spot these days, so was pleasantly surprised - saw all sorts including a heron just the other side of the canal, darting swallows dipping to catch flies, and a family of squirrels - i hsave never HEARD a squirrel sound before - but these were talking! i came home with three books after 2 coffees and lunch out.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I got stuck a little late at work, but finally escaped....
Cayla wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:36 am
Well that was a short week! :lol:
Today felt like a week all by itself. :coma:
Funds are low until my tenant pays her rent.
Oh, right, the rent is due. No wonder I have money in the bank. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:56 pm
We hit some traffic driving down to the beach last night -- darn road construction! :mad:
I hear that Uber is finally working on some flying cars. Or is it Google? I'm not sure.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:19 pm
though I do have to contact a publisher to find out what's up with their computer.
There's a bug that prevents it from recognizing great books. :no:
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:30 pm
decided to go to mChichester to explore the canal trail - there being a pathway for walking alongside the old canals...
That sounds cool.
i hsave never HEARD a squirrel sound before - but these were talking!
Yeah, they make a kind of chittering sound-- especially when they're mad, which is a good time to step back. :lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:06 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:15 pm
I hear that Uber is finally working on some flying cars. Or is it Google? I'm not sure.
If these flying cars are "smart" and thus can avoid mid-air collisions, that would be simply awesome.