Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Re: Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:37 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I'm off to breakfast with Mom and Chloe....
jgc wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:36 pm
My cousin lives in New Jersey, so I won't be traveling to visit.
That's too bad. I wish you could go. :(
Gary wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:46 am
*sigh*
How did they manage to do so much damage in a week? scotty's right, it's like a frat house. :wtf:
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:35 am
I also threw in a lot of psychological mumbo jumbo (not to be confused with Jumbo from Trunkards) :elephant2:
Hmm, Mumbo Jumbo....
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:23 am
unless the phone rings and L calls and we're off out some place..... :dance:
Fingers crossed.
huggle wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:11 am
I did wake up, though, when my mp3 player's battery ran empty and the audiobook suddenly stopped LOL!
Sort of an anti-alarm clock. Most people wake up when the noise starts, but you wake up when the noise stops. :D
I'm 2/3 through with sorting and keep discovering things I had believed lost. LOL I feel a bit like Indiana Jones.
I hope you discover some valuable treasure. :whip:

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Good morning!

It is amazing how some people live, and do not care about things that are not their own. When we rented, we kept everything spotless, and made small repairs. I do own a Bissell carpet cleaner. It was one of the best investments I have made, seeing how I have animals.

jgc, my brother's neighbor still has a tarp on his roof. There are still many houses and buildings with tarped roofs. Especially in Panama City.

Last night, my tenant had her 9-year-old daughter stay the night. We sat out on the patio painting rocks. Then we had a bonfire, and made s'mores. It was a pleasant evening.

I am not sure what I will do, today. Ron is at work. I was supposed to volunteer for yard clean up day at the church, but I do not feel up to it. I'll probably clean up my own flower beds, this morning. We may go to the beach this evening.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Happy Saturday, everyone :hello:

We saw Dark Phoenix last night in the local theater, which we had trouble finding because there are literally no street signs in Panama City. The only way you know where you are is by using Google maps and following the blue dot on your screen to your destination. Today we're going to see the newly expanded Panama Canal.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:23 am
well what about these then scottysog - cherry-coconut slices? ccs.jpg
Oh my goodness -- those look amazingly delicious, Maddy. Did they taste as good as they look?
huggle wrote:
Apparently there was a huge storm last night and I didn't hear anything at all.
Reminds me of the time, when I lived in California, I slept through a huge earthquake. :loopy:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:37 am
I'm off to breakfast with Mom and Chloe....
How is your mom's health these days? I hope you inherited her longevity :yes:
Cayla wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:40 pm
I was supposed to volunteer for yard clean up day at the church, but I do not feel up to it. I'll probably clean up my own flower beds, this morning.
My wife, in her retirement, wants to volunteer to tend the gardens outside our church. That's a lot of weed-pulling. I told her she's not allowed to pull other people's weeds until after all our weeds are pulled out in our yard. It's a constant nonstop battle between us and weeds, and the weeds win. :no:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Hey all,

I probably could hold the tenant liable for the cleanup; however, we did not have a rental agreement in writing. This fell under the common-law of month-to-month where both sides can give 30-days notice to terminate the contract. Since we mutually agreed to terminate immediately, the tenant is entitled to a prorated refund. I originally did not want the tenant to move in until 6/1, but his wife was itching to get settled, so I allowed them to move in the weekend before as I was moving out. Had I not done so, I could have prevented all of this as I would have begun moving back.

Overall, it's just easier to give them a full refund and cut my losses as a lesson learned. After all, they went through a lot of gyrations to move out so quickly. If they weren't friends of mine then I'd prorate the rent, etc. It irks me that I was very adamant about having the carpet in both the living room and master bedroom thoroughly cleaned, and now I have to have the living room carpet cleaned. They have a young daughter who is a whirlwind, as in she is like a fully wound spring that goes at full speed all day long. I'm guessing she is part of the reason there's sticky messes on the floors. I would not have been upset had the messes occurred in the two bedroom, because the carpet in those rooms needs replacing.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Indeterminate plans for today. Picked up some supplies for the Faire yesterday and made preparations for others. Things are moving along.
huggle wrote:
Oh shit! Some people seem to have a rather bad morning today: police, fire brigade and ambulance just passed. There must be an accident on the highway again :( The second one today and it's only 10 am.
Yikes! :eek: That's worse than California.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:06 pm

Good afternoon, everyone. :hello:

I learned today that my Cousins are planning to sell the building. No timetable yet, but I guess I should step up my preparations.
Cayla wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:40 pm
jgc, my brother's neighbor still has a tarp on his roof. There are still many houses and buildings with tarped roofs. Especially in Panama City.
It's uncanny that people are still living with the aftermath of natural disasters that happened years ago.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:03 pm
because there are literally no street signs in Panama City. The only way you know where you are is by using Google maps and following the blue dot on your screen to your destination. Today we're going to see the newly expanded Panama Canal.
Why do I suddenly feel like we've been discussing two different Panama Cities? :unsure:
How is your mom's health these days? I hope you inherited her longevity :yes:
She's great, aside from some occasional minor stuff, like sciatica. You wouldn't guess that she's pushing 80.
Gary wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:29 pm
Overall, it's just easier to give them a full refund and cut my losses as a lesson learned.
Agreed. You don't need any personal conflicts on top of all the other stress.
Lupine wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm
Indeterminate plans for today. Picked up some supplies for the Faire yesterday and made preparations for others. Things are moving along.
How much time to do you have?

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:37 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:06 pm
I learned today that my Cousins are planning to sell the building. No timetable yet, but I guess I should step up my preparations.
Oh no. As Gary's experience tells us, moving can be no fun at all. How hard do you think it will be to find a suitable place?
Gary wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:29 pm
Overall, it's just easier to give them a full refund and cut my losses as a lesson learned.
Yeah, that's the nice thing to do. The important thing is, you're home! :dance:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:14 pm

Went to the house today to haul more boxes and resume cleaning. My mother was a Fuller Brush saleslady for many years, so when I went to get my pick of items from the estate last summer, I grabbed some Fulsol wipes. Fulsol is one of the best products on the market for cutting grease. I hit the kitchen with the wipes and almost exhausted the container. I was wrong about the stove -- it was saturated in grease. Also, the sticky spot I mentioned in the kitchen morphed into something greasy :as: I also have a 1-gallon bottle of Fulsol, which is concentrated cleaner. I'll have to hit the kitchen and hallway floors with my sponge mop (also a Fuller Brush product) to get the grime lifted.

Meanwhile. I vacuumed the deodorized master bedroom carpet and sprinkled another box of deodorizer on it. I dared vacuum the carpet in the living room where, in addition to the meat and sauce leftovers, there was a barrage of broken chips and also dried pasta shells. I have the carpet guy scheduled to come out Monday evening to steam clean the carpet.

I will head out tomorrow with drawers and probably other items to stack in one of the rooms. I did ping my friend/renter to mention my shotgun had disappeared. He responded that it's probably packed in a box. That's fine as I've found misc items left behind that belong to his family.

:mellow:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:23 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
:eek: Any ideas where you can go?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm
How much time to do you have?
A little over a month now.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 am

GM. all gone scottydpg - but i sam going to make more with cherry-coconut without paricot in later today or sometime tomorrow...depednant upon today. no phone call yesterday - so i did laundry, vacced all the carpets, swept/mopped the hard floors, cooked/ate/sipped, and did an hours weeding and some strawberry cropping down the plot - and pottered in the poly tunnel, finished a book, started a book....oh and planted out 2 eggplant seedlings. today is the last day without rain for 7 days ahead apparently - so at some stage i will pop to the plot for a minimum of 30 mins... thankfully not everybody has an experience like gary when moving - RJ might have better luck - any chance of a place on your own? will you change frozen food shopping destination? weeds - 'are'... in out tenancy agreement at the allotments we are all sposed to keep our plots free of weeds - and the pathways between the plots mown/weed free...but we have over 100 plots and we all do a varied ammount of such if the entire plot is covered in knee high weeds, the plotster generally receives a notification warning - and if they fail to attend to the weeds they are kicked out. most of us just have a few patches....mine are genrally around the shed/raised beds/compost and weed bins and in between the raspberries...but the weed bins are both full so i am just piling them up on top....atm.
as for me, i tend to be woken up my a tame pigeon - that flaps between the tree and my windowsill - until i wake and provide it with seed atm, tho i genally wake to the blackbird singing loudly if it chooses my tree to sing from and that happens around 4-5am, mot 5-6...my real alarm is for waking meup on time if i doze off again AFTER!!
other than a plot trot - no plans today - if the phone doesnt ring, more book/cook/yard/plot/poly tunnel/laundry/chores....if it does, a trip!

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 am

Seems like a nice morning for the beach. I should test out how my Kindle does for some morning photography.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:37 pm
Oh no. As Gary's experience tells us, moving can be no fun at all. How hard do you think it will be to find a suitable place?
Probably not too hard. The thing that occurred to me is that I probably don't have a great credit rating because of this credit card debt, which may be an obstacle.
Gary wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:14 pm
I did ping my friend/renter to mention my shotgun had disappeared.
That's a little bit alarming. :unsure:
Lupine wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:23 pm
:eek: Any ideas where you can go?
I'll have to give it some thought. Not only do I have to keep my Mother in mind, but also my job at this point. I hadn't planned to move for at least a couple of years.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 am
RJ might have better luck - any chance of a place on your own?
I hope so. I'd rather have something in a house rather than an apartment building. I'm kind of spoiled by the sweet deal I've had here for the last thirty years.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Happy Sunday, everyone :hello:

My last day in Panama City. For some reason, my friend Jim whom I'm staying with wants to see the big Trump Tower on the Pacific side of the isthmus. He hates Trump like I do but he has a morbid fascination for all things Trump.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 am
...will you change frozen food shopping destination?
I hadn't thought to ask The Truly Big Questions like where will you get your chocolate :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 am
The thing that occurred to me is that I probably don't have a great credit rating because of this credit card debt, which may be an obstacle.
Actually, the opposite could be true. If you've been diligent about paying your debt, doing so can improve your credit score.
Gary wrote:
Went to the house today to haul more boxes and resume cleaning.
Seems like you've been doing moving-related stuff for the past 3 months. I bet you can't wait to resume normal living :yes:
Cayla wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:18 pm
we discovered we have a second frog!
Wow! Evidence of immaculate conception or mitosis?
Last edited by scottydog on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Good morning!

I spent my day pulling weeds and planting flowers in pots. It was a nice day for it...not too hot, not too cold. When Ron came home, we partially drained and cleaned the pond. Upon taking apart the waterfall to clean the filter, we discovered we have a second frog! The 2 were hanging out together. This one appears to be younger than Froggie.

Last night was the first night in 14 1/2 years where Max didn't sleep with me. He refused to go up the stairs. His legs are getting worse. :(

After church, we are going to Cedar Point for the day.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Good morning, all. :coffee:

Nothing special planned for today, though I do have to pull a couple of tables out of storage (might use one or both up at the faire).
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 am
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:37 pm
Probably not too hard. The thing that occurred to me is that I probably don't have a great credit rating because of this credit card debt, which may be an obstacle.
Which is why I don't use credit cards... not that my credit rating is likely all that good (I don't really know how these things work).
Cayla wrote:
I spent my day pulling weeds and planting flowers in pots. It was a nice day for it...not too hot, not too cold. When Ron came home, we partially drained and cleaned the pond. Upon taking apart the waterfall to clean the filter, we discovered we have a second frog! The 2 were hanging out together. This one appears to be younger than Froggie.
We're all getting animal mascots!
Cayla wrote:
Last night was the first night in 14 1/2 years where Max didn't sleep with me. He refused to go up the stairs. His legs are getting worse. :(
:no:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:24 pm

scottydog wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Gary wrote:
Went to the house today to haul more boxes and resume cleaning.
Seems like you've been doing moving-related stuff for the past 3 months. I bet you can't wait to resume normal living :yes:
Very much so. My sense of self is greatly off kilter, so it will take time for me to get my old rhythm back. As I stated in the weather thread, I packed the car this morning and hauled more stuff to the country house. I was a bit surprised to find the garage door (the big one) open when I arrived. I could have sworn I closed it yesterday. This is not the first time I've made that mistake, sometimes returning home from work to find it's still open. Good thing I live in such a secluded area. I can't count the number of times someone could have walked in and taken everything I own.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:15 pm

well today turned out lovely - i had adone a few loads laiundry and was watering tomatoes oin the poly tunnel when L phoned to invite me to a garden festival north of Emsworth -
but
- thing is...for the second time, headed to a garden festival - we didnt go to a garden festival after all - but ended up having fun doing other stuff instead.

on the highway, we got to a stretch which didnt have l/r turn offs, just one side only ones - so we werre looking for a roundabout or righthand turn to emsworth - missed the lefthand turn to it - went for havant - but ditto - so we planned to go to hayling island - only l missed the turn for that, so we decided we would go to portsmouth instead...

we parked in an old dockyard place and walked past ships and thru pigeon infested forts along the coast and back - stopping off wherever we fancied - for coffee/toilets at a shopping mall for instance - then to see rose and rock gardens and a d-day 75th anniversary 'do''s final day where we lunched. (i have NEVER seen so many portaloos in one location before - must've been at least 100!!!!) we saw/did all sorts - and must've walked for at least 4 hours total, excluding our lunch/refrshement breaks and had a jolly good day out. i posted a handful of pics at FB if anyone wants to 'see'... we ended up trading/buying a ton of books and calling in to maccas for refreshments on our way home. another lovely day with good company/coffee and fun walking/sights.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Today was a nice, relaxing day, and I actually managed to get a few things done.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:15 pm
My last day in Panama City. For some reason, my friend Jim whom I'm staying with wants to see the big Trump Tower on the Pacific side of the isthmus. He hates Trump like I do but he has a morbid fascination for all things Trump.
A lot of people do. I think that's part of what gave him the recognition to run for president.
Actually, the opposite could be true. If you've been diligent about paying your debt, doing so can improve your credit score.
That's a good point. I have paid off two of the three cards and I make about three times the minimum payment. Today I contacted Merrill Lynch and told them I want to consolidate all my retirement accounts and maximize my savings for income. Once I do that, I'll use part of it to pay off the last card more quickly, and rent some storage space to start moving things out.
Wow! Evidence of immaculate conception or mitosis?
Okay, at 8:15am you replied to a post that Cayla made at 8:18am. No wonder the forum crashes! Stop screwing with the timestream! :mad:
Cayla wrote:
Upon taking apart the waterfall to clean the filter, we discovered we have a second frog! The 2 were hanging out together. This one appears to be younger than Froggie.
Oh, that's cool. Did you get pictures of them? :frog1:
Aw, the poor guy. :( Is there any way to help him up the stairs, or is he too awkward?
Lupine wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:46 pm
Which is why I don't use credit cards... not that my credit rating is likely all that good (I don't really know how these things work).
Unfortunately, I had to rely on them the year that I was out of work, and then still when I went back to work-- I started out making about half as much at Blue Cross as I was at BMC.
We're all getting animal mascots!
Except me. I got strange people mascots. :lol:
Gary wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:24 pm
Good thing I live in such a secluded area. I can't count the number of times someone could have walked in and taken everything I own.
I hope there aren't bears or coyotes or something in the area that could move in. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:15 pm
on the highway, we got to a stretch which didnt have l/r turn offs, just one side only ones - so we werre looking for a roundabout or righthand turn to emsworth - missed the lefthand turn to it - went for havant - but ditto - so we planned to go to hayling island - only l missed the turn for that, so we decided we would go to portsmouth instead...
The American term for this is "You can't get there from here." :lol:
we parked in an old dockyard place and walked past ships and thru pigeon infested forts along the coast and back - stopping off wherever we fancied - for coffee/toilets at a shopping mall for instance - then to see rose and rock gardens and a d-day 75th anniversary 'do''s final day where we lunched.
That sounds like a wonderful day. :yes:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:56 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:39 pm
Okay, at 8:15am you replied to a post that Cayla made at 8:18am. No wonder the forum crashes! Stop screwing with the timestream! :mad:
It scares me that you check the times of our posts :scared: From my planet's briefing, I was informed that your species rarely shows such conscientiousness.

Cayla posted this morning just after I did, and when i noticed that, i decided I had to respond to her post even if it meant messing with the temporal order of the universe. :borg:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:32 pm

scottydog wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:56 pm
Cayla posted this morning just after I did, and when i noticed that, i decided I had to respond to her post even if it meant messing with the temporal order of the universe. :borg:
by Lupine>> Mon 10, 2001 2:08 pm

Hi! I'm Lupine and I just signed up here.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:35 pm

^^ :lol: :veryhappy:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:34 pm

:lol:

I don't normally check post times, but I couldn't help notice that the reply came first. :lol:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 am

GM. rain all day thru today - if theres a break ill skip the hill to wyevALE for carrot seed the head to the plot - if not ill do chores at home til my evening job. L is driving a friend to see a dr, so no coffee today.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:26 am

It's Monday, and I have another late shift....
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 am
GM. rain all day thru today - if theres a break ill skip the hill to wyevALE for carrot seed the head to the plot - if not ill do chores at home til my evening job. L is driving a friend to see a dr, so no coffee today.
This has been a very rainy Spring it seems.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 am

Happy Monday, all. :hello:

Time to come home. My flight leaves at 8:30am local time. I have a 4-hour layover in Atlanta and won't be home until 8pm, so it's a long day :flying:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:26 am
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 am
GM. rain all day thru today
This has been a very rainy Spring it seems.
Same raininess in Richmond, too. And there's all that flooding in the central US. This could be the new normal. :no:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:57 am

Good morning!

We spent about 5 hours at Cedar Point, yesterday. We even spent some of the time on the beach there. It was a nice day, but I am tired, now. :yawn: