Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

Post by Cayla » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Good morning!

I have no plans for today. It is raining, again. Everything I would like to do, involves being outdoors. :(
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Good day at the faire yesterday. A surprisingly large turnout for this faire. So much so that the Preferred Parking was full up and we had to park in the regular lot (made for a long walk to the gate).
As for today, I need to wash some things and rest up from yesterday.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:23 pm
Why the road was still closed a day after the fire is beyond me.
Must be some kind of coverup. The fire was probably caused by a saucer crash.
With Lucerne? Anything is possible. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:08 am
Holy cow. Did you literally have to sit there for an hour waiting for the road to reopen? :o
Yup, a whole hour. In the heat. :as:
scottydog wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:32 am
How are the boys?
The Bowery Boys are doing well, altho they're looking quite old :oldman: :oldman: :oldman:
And the younger lurkers are going "Boys? What are they talking about?" :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Once again I failed to bestir myself down to Best Buy to get my camera fixed. Well, as long as it's done by the time my long weekends start, I'll be happy.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am
Today my daughter and her bf are taking me and The Wife out to brunch for Father's Day.
I hope you had a great Father's Day.
The Bowery Boys are doing well, altho they're looking quite old :oldman: :oldman: :oldman:
At least they will live forever on celluloid.
Cayla wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:01 pm
I have no plans for today. It is raining, again. Everything I would like to do, involves being outdoors. :(
Same here, as far as the weather goes.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:50 pm
Good day at the faire yesterday. A surprisingly large turnout for this faire. So much so that the Preferred Parking was full up and we had to park in the regular lot (made for a long walk to the gate).
Nice that business is good. :yes:
And the younger lurkers are going "Boys? What are they talking about?" :lol:
I get that a lot. :lol:

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 am

Got home from NYC safely. We had a great weekend. This morning we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. The history of that bridge is fascinating.
Cayla wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:01 pm
It is raining, again. Everything I would like to do, involves being outdoors. :(
Rainy days are perfect for binge-watching TV shows. I've been binge-watching Star Trek: Discovery and Game of Thrones during all our bad weather. It has me even rooting for rain :lol:
Lupine wrote:
That's great about the big turnout. How much is the entrance fee?
Lupine wrote:
Yup, a whole hour. In the heat. :as:
That sounds miserable. Especially if you don't have AC in your car. :as:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 pm
Once again I failed to bestir myself down to Best Buy to get my camera fixed. Well, as long as it's done by the time my long weekends start, I'll be happy.
When do your long weekends begin? That's a really nice perk of your job :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 pm
I hope you had a great Father's Day.
I did, thank you. I really miss my daughter, though. I wish she and I lived in the same city. :sob:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:23 am

Well, this is interesting. I just got a FB friend request from an old friend from Junior High and High School. This guy was my best friend for a while and we spent many a day and night reading comic books and watching old sci-fi movies together. Apparently somebody reposted my essay on my old Latin teacher Bob Mitchell on Facebook and he used that to track me down. I was just scrolling through his friends list and I saw a lot of names that I haven't thought about in a long time.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 am
This morning we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge.
Fun Fact: I own that bridge. Don't worry, no toll. Funner Fact: Brooklyn Bridge is currently playing at Hargil's.
When do your long weekends begin? That's a really nice perk of your job :yes:
August 9th this year. :yes:
I did, thank you. I really miss my daughter, though. I wish she and I lived in the same city. :sob:
You've got to get her some gigs in Richmond. :guitar:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:23 am
Fun Fact: I own that bridge. Don't worry, no toll. Funner Fact: Brooklyn Bridge is currently playing at Hargil's.
I thought you owned some swamp in Florida. Oh well. I'll have to check out Hargil's :flashlight:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:23 am
Well, this is interesting. I just got a FB friend request from an old friend from Junior High and High School. This guy was my best friend for a while and we spent many a day and night reading comic books and watching old sci-fi movies together.
That's so cool! I think that's the one redeeming thing about Facebook -- it reconnects people who have lost track of each other.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 am

GM. yesterday was rainy all morning and sulky all afternoon. i did very little other than walk round the block and read 2 entire books. i was restless without anything to put my mind or body to...
today - monday starts a new week - hopefully more pleasant than last week. i havent hung with L since a week ago yesterday and noone else brightens my day. i didnt have anything fun on the agenda to do or share with her, and the weather and my sinusses let me down.
at least i get coffee with L to start the week this week....

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:29 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Monday, and I think today's a late day.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 am
I thought you owned some swamp in Florida.
I do, and Man-Thing hasn't paid his rent in years. :no:
That's so cool! I think that's the one redeeming thing about Facebook -- it reconnects people who have lost track of each other.
It's so strange to see pictures of these people who I remember as teenagers, who are now pushing sixty-- and posting about their grandkids! :eek:
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 am
i did very little other than walk round the block and read 2 entire books.
Two entire books in one day sounds great to me. :book: :book:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:25 am

Happy Monday, all :hello:

Just a bunch of little things to do today -- laundry, grocery shopping, bank, and lunch.
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 am
...the weather and my sinusses let me down.
Is there a time of year when the sinuses are not so bad?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:29 am
It's so strange to see pictures of these people who I remember as teenagers, who are now pushing sixty-- and posting about their grandkids! :eek:
Yes, it's happening -- aging and grandkidding and impending death. That's actually why I'm traveling so much now. The end of this incarnation is right around the corner. :myowngrave:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:40 am

Good morning!

We ended up going to Medina to drop off Ron's stepfather's card for Father's Day. They weren't home (we knew that), but we went to A.I. Root Candle, to walk around and buy candles. It wasn't raining there, so we walked around the town square, and had some ice cream from a new shop.

Today is the last day of peace, before the doctor returns, Only 6 more weeks until his next trip.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Good morning, all. :coffee:

The usual here.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 am
Lupine wrote:
That's great about the big turnout. How much is the entrance fee?
$25, but they've been slinging discounts all over the place. I got in for $15 because I came in costume.

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:00 pm

<slouches in, hands in pockets, longish grey hair awry>

'allo.

The last month has consisted of:
Flu. Lots of flu. Mostly recovered.
Sleep. Lots of sleep. Still trying to catch up.
Feeding grandbabies at 3-4am.
Trying to figure out how to convert a kindle file to mobi/epub (finally did it).
Car rego-checked and registed, renewed license.
Lots of conversations with far-away son (miles not emotions), who had a kidney transplant 2 years ago and has depression due to being prescribed the wrong meds, and who now really wants to reconnect with me (long story, see below).
Being hassled by the Govt to get a job (ya lazy, no-good bum).
Quite enjoying 'Good Omens' and 'Doom Patrol'.
Trying to write 2nd short story collection and failing miserably (a time problem, not ideas).

At 2:20am today my phone rang. Was distant son, feeling a bit down and wanting to to talk. Learned much about the XWife (did I tell you she's a full-tilt narcissist? Watch any YT vids on the topic, there's bits of her in ALL of them) and is inflicting herself on all around her. Son is trying very hard to keep her at arms' length. We both agree it's a good thing I'm gone, an unusual admission from him - as a religious person, the sanctity of marriage is a big thing for him. It was a wide ranging one, over 2.5 hours. Speaking of sanctity of marriage, we go around to the previous time I'd left home, in 1992.
To cut it down to a bare minimum:
XWife was being a completely crazy person (later diagnosed with PTSD, due to above son being very sick with kidney failure as a 1 yr old).
Intolerable to live with, I packed a bag and went, staying at a co-worker's place.
Now, said co-worker is female. I loved spending time with her, and would have run away with her... but it simply wasn't that kind of relationship. We were just... literally good friends. (Later, in a dometic abuse incident, she stabbed her SO fatally in self-defense, did some time.)
Eventually went back home - I couldn't leave my little boys in XWife's gentle care.
Another 10 years of good times and 15 years of very bad, intermingled.
Boys married and left home. I eventually pulled the pin.

Back to today. Son delicately raised the topic of said co-worker and what happened. I said, not really a thing, it definitely wasn't physical. I promised him.
He burst into tears.

For decades the XWife has told him I'd had an affair. And because of that, he viewed me as... tarnished, I guess. I told him it wasn't that kind of friendship, and anyway I couldn't cross that line, simply couldn't. I looked at my parents who loved each other all their lives, and wished that I had that... and knew I never would. However, crossing the line was not an option But narcissists are very good with words of honeyed poison, and they also strongly believe in divide and conquer. Now he has to reconsider anything she's said, and So for years she hit him with that again and again (as well as she wished he'd never been born, classic XWife)... and now he finds out it's a lie. He has to reconsider everything she's said, and who I am as a person, husband and father (in a good way). It's hit him hard... but I think in a positive way. Our relationship can only get better. I'm going to drive down and see him in a few weeks, I think he needs it, and my other son thinks so too.

I thought it was supposed to get easier as you got older...
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:29 am
Man-Thing hasn't paid his rent in years. :no:
And with the cancellation, unlikely to happen soon.
"... times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:40 pm

^Glad your relationship with your son is improving, but boy what a journey to get there. :no:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:39 pm

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

We're getting the day after the 4th off, so I'll have a four-day weekend. :yes:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:25 am
Yes, it's happening -- aging and grandkidding and impending death. That's actually why I'm traveling so much now. The end of this incarnation is right around the corner. :myowngrave:
If by right-around-the-corner you mean several decades away. :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:40 am
Today is the last day of peace, before the doctor returns, Only 6 more weeks until his next trip.
But who's counting? :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:49 pm
$25, but they've been slinging discounts all over the place. I got in for $15 because I came in costume.
Good idea if it increases traffic that much.
australis wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:00 pm
Being hassled by the Govt to get a job (ya lazy, no-good bum).
Writing's not a job?
We were just... literally good friends. (Later, in a dometic abuse incident, she stabbed her SO fatally in self-defense, did some time.)
Er... good friends is probably the way to go. :mellow:
For decades the XWife has told him I'd had an affair. And because of that, he viewed me as... tarnished, I guess.
It never ceases to amaze me the things that people do to get some imaginary upper hand.
He has to reconsider everything she's said, and who I am as a person, husband and father (in a good way). It's hit him hard... but I think in a positive way.
That's definitely a positive thing. It's never too late to learn the truth and adjust to it.
I'm sure I never said that. :lol:
And with the cancellation, unlikely to happen soon.
That's Swamp Thing. You're mixing up your muck monsters. :lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:53 am

I almost forgot I had my annual dermatologist checkup this afternoon. She does a full body scan and usually doesn't find anything. Today she found a tiny keratosis on my nose, which she sprayed some freezing agent on. It's a potential pre-cancer and better to be safe than sorry.
Lupine wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:49 pm
That's not a bad price. I'm glad costumed people get a discount. I would love getting a costume and attending one of these Faires some day.
Cayla wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:40 am
So he really disturbs the peace? That's not the sign of a good boss. Too bad you have to wait 6 more weeks.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:39 pm
If by right-around-the-corner you mean several decades away. :lol:
Well, I turn 60 soon, and so several decades more is being a little over-optimistic.
australis wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:00 pm
I think the only way it gets easier as we get older is if we adopt an "I don't give a shit" attitude about what people think of us.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:24 am

So, hi everyone! Not sure how long it's been since I checked in, but here I am. :hello:

Good to see austalis. You sound like you're enjoying the grandbabies.

Gary, are you done moving back to the country house, or still working on it?

Next week my friends are going on vacation, so I'll go down there daily to check on the house and pool.

And that's all that's going on here. :yes:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:27 am

GM.
Two entire books in one day sounds great to me
i would rather have some form of activity and movement and end up reading in bed afterwards meyself - just sitting around all day isnt my scene.
Is there a time of year when the sinuses are not so bad?
no its not pollen but air pressure and related weather i am allergic to.

yesterday after coffee at hers, L&I took a local trek for a couple hours then popped back to my back yard/poly tunnel for a bit. today, i have a delivery, cleaning job x 2 and chores on the agenda.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:26 am

And an easy Tuesday lies ahead, I think. It's amazing how much my emails have diminished since this new job started.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:53 am
I almost forgot I had my annual dermatologist checkup this afternoon. She does a full body scan and usually doesn't find anything. Today she found a tiny keratosis on my nose, which she sprayed some freezing agent on. It's a potential pre-cancer and better to be safe than sorry.
I'm glad she caught it. Will they biopsy it, or is that not necessary?
That's not a bad price. I'm glad costumed people get a discount.
Yeah, but by logical extrapolation nudists get charged extra, which is punitive. :warn:
Well, I turn 60 soon, and so several decades more is being a little over-optimistic.
These days, it's normal for people to live into their 90s. By the time we get into our 90s, it will be normal for people to live to 120. By the time we get to 120....
jgc wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:24 am
So, hi everyone! Not sure how long it's been since I checked in, but here I am. :hello:
Hi, jgc. :hello: A little over a week. :angel:
Next week my friends are going on vacation, so I'll go down there daily to check on the house and pool.
That sounds good. Any leads on jobs lately?
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:27 am
i would rather have some form of activity and movement and end up reading in bed afterwards meyself - just sitting around all day isnt my scene.
Both kinds of days sound good to me. :yes:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:33 am

Happy Chewsday, everyone :hello:

This morning I need to mow the lawn before the thunderstorms begin.
jgc wrote:
Do you get to use the pool? I hope so! :ocean:
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:27 am
i would rather have some form of activity and movement
I need movement, too. Walking meditations work better for me than quiet, sitting meditations. :messiah:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:26 am
It's amazing how much my emails have diminished since this new job started.
That's a huge improvement. No wonder the job is less stressful. Are you also on the phone less often?
RJDiogenes wrote:
These days, it's normal for people to live into their 90s. By the time we get into our 90s, it will be normal for people to live to 120. By the time we get to 120....
Hmmm, your projections seem overly optimistic to me. The average male today dies at 76. Even if you're right, the people I see in their 80s and 90s are rather decrepit. That's more reason to get out and travel now while I'm still relatively nimble.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Good morning, staff and crew. :coffee:

Might head up to Big Bear later today to get some more work done up there.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:53 am
Glad it was taken care of early.
jgc wrote:
:hello:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:04 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Will they biopsy it, or is that not necessary?
No need for a biopsy. The stuff she's sprayed on me has now caused a small blister to form on my nose. My modeling career is in jeopardy :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:47 pm
Glad it was taken care of early.
Me too. This is the price I'm paying for growing up in southern California and never using sunscreen. :tropics:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I've gotten another friend request from an old school chum who is friends with the other friend-- the chain reaction begins. :eek:
scottydog wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:33 am
That's a huge improvement. No wonder the job is less stressful. Are you also on the phone less often?
Yes, this job is almost entirely web based, so less phones and less crises.
Hmmm, your projections seem overly optimistic to me.
Perhaps. :lol: Nevertheless, I plan to live forever, or die trying.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:04 pm
No need for a biopsy. The stuff she's sprayed on me has now caused a small blister to form on my nose. My modeling career is in jeopardy :lol:
Time to change careers to Beloved Character Actor. :D

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:56 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 pm
I've gotten another friend request from an old school chum who is friends with the other friend-- the chain reaction begins. :eek:
That's great. Unless the noose is tightening and you'll be tracked down in no time :scared:
Time to change careers to Beloved Character Actor. :D
Can I instead be a villainous character actor? :devil:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:16 am

GM. ahead tpday, chores/pl.ot trot, arfternoon job, evening job.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:23 am

I woke up thinking it was Friday. :(
scottydog wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:56 pm
That's great. Unless the noose is tightening and you'll be tracked down in no time :scared:
Yeah, so much for the Federal Witness Protection Program.
Can I instead be a villainous character actor? :devil:
We need a new Vincent Price. :yes:
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:16 am
GM. ahead tpday, chores/pl.ot trot, arfternoon job, evening job.
I hope all goes well. :yes: