Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Saturday has come, and with it breakfast at Mom's.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:39 am
We made it to Eagle Rock, Virginia. I didn’t bring my laptop but here I am posting on my phone — which is awkward and slow to say the least. :mellow:
Yeah, that's a real pain. Is Eagle Rock your destination or just a way station?
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:27 am
though there is supposedly a hot spell coming up next week with maybe thunderstorms.
I love thunderstorms.
Always nice to gas bag with L!
Yeah, I wish you could do it more often. :yes:

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Saturday all :hello:

We’re here in Eagle Rock, our final destination. There are waterfalls nearby, wineries, and antique stores that all need exploring.

There are also lots of The Wife’s family members here, including several small screaming children. Most alarmingly, these tiny creatures are putting a dent into my chocolate supply. :(
Last edited by scottydog on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

Today is our City Wide Garage Sale. Mom and I are participating with my next door neighbor. Addison and her friend are going to have a lemonade stand.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :coffee:

Planning on hitting the Koroneburg Ren Faire again today. Last weekend.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:10 am
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:27 am
though there is supposedly a hot spell coming up next week with maybe thunderstorms.
I love thunderstorms.
They are enjoyable most of the time.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:35 am
We’re here in Eagle Rock, our final destination. There are waterfalls nearby, wineries, and antique stores that all need exploring.
That sounds nice. We have a dearth of waterfalls out my way. I think I've seen two or three in my life.
Cayla wrote:
Today is our City Wide Garage Sale. Mom and I are participating with my next door neighbor. Addison and her friend are going to have a lemonade stand.
Sounds fun! :yes:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good afternoon, everyone. :hello:

My Mother has a little back porch facing the woods and in the middle of the top glass panel in the door there appeared the perfect outline of a bird. Ouch. :lol: There was no body or anything, so we assume that Wile E Pigeon shook it off and went on his way. I tried to get a picture of it, but I'm not sure how it came out yet.
scottydog wrote:
That does sound like Heaven.
There are also lots of The Wife’s family members here, including several small screaming children. Most alarmingly, these tiny creatures are putting a dent into my chocolate supply. :(
On the other hand....
Cayla wrote:
Will you be buying or selling? Or just working?
Lupine wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:55 pm
Planning on hitting the Koroneburg Ren Faire again today. Last weekend.
Have fun. Watch out for mutants. :hello:
That sounds nice. We have a dearth of waterfalls out my way. I think I've seen two or three in my life.
My favorites are the Flume and the Basin up in New Hampshire.

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Today was fun -- lots of hiking and antiquing. I found the original Walking Dead comic for sale for only $3.
Cayla wrote:
Addison is turning out to be quite the entrepreneur. What stuff are you selling at the garage sale?
Lupine wrote:
We have a dearth of waterfalls out my way. I think I've seen two or three in my life.
I guess you need water to have waterfalls :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:18 pm
My Mother has a little back porch facing the woods and in the middle of the top glass panel in the door there appeared the perfect outline of a bird. Ouch. :lol: There was no body or anything, so we assume that Wile E Pigeon shook it off and went on his way.
We have birds fly into our windows occasionally. But never enough to leave a bird outline! :eek:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM.
Yeah, I wish you could do it more often
me too - be nice to catch up every day...
We have birds fly into our windows occasionally. But never enough to leave a bird outline!
its usually the young ones that do that here - until they learn what glass is. sometimes a bird just bounces off and is shocked but fine right away - other times they stun themselves and stay still on the ground for a while to recover. its only dangerous if a predator catches them in that state, they break a beak, or brain damage kills them off - otherwise its just a nasty bump.
plot, garden, poly tunnel made up most of yesterday - i also pottered along to a local organic nursery that were giving a talk on growing herbs for an hour.
today - more plot/poly tunnel/garden i expect...unless L calls or something hits my head to be done.
do you get many people buying Cayla? i have done our village wide garage sale twice and sold less than £2 both times.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Okay, today I'm taking my camera to Geek Squad for sure.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:55 am
Today was fun -- lots of hiking and antiquing. I found the original Walking Dead comic for sale for only $3.
Nice. Do you know what printing it is? Was it in an antique store or do they have an old comic book store there?
We have birds fly into our windows occasionally. But never enough to leave a bird outline! :eek:
This was like a Warner Brothers cartoon or something. I'll post a picture later today.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:27 am
sometimes a bird just bounces off and is shocked but fine right away - other times they stun themselves and stay still on the ground for a while to recover. its only dangerous if a predator catches them in that state, they break a beak, or brain damage kills them off - otherwise its just a nasty bump.
All evidence is that this guy just got up and flew away.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Sunday, all. :hello:

We'll hang out with family today and then make the 2.5 hr drive home.
Madeliaette wrote:
ts usually the young ones that do that here - until they learn what glass is. sometimes a bird just bounces off and is shocked but fine right away
It makes you wonder how evolution is changing animal behavior. I swear our squirrels have learned to scamper across the road faster than they used to. It's now in their genes to sense pavement as danger.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:29 am
Nice. Do you know what printing it is? Was it in an antique store or do they have an old comic book store there?
Alas, it's the 15th printing, so no value to it at all. It was an antique store that was really a combination antique-thrift store. This was the only comic book I saw in the book section, which had books ranging from a 1961 woodworking volume (which I bought for The Wife) to old printings of Huckleberry Finn.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning! :yawn:

I had fun hanging out with my neighbor and my mom at the garage sale. I did not have a lot to sell. Just some glassware, garden items, and odds and ends. I made $18. My mom had a ton of candles and holders, small appliances, and garden flags. My neighbor worked for a KMart that went out of business. She purchased a lot of items at 70% of, plus and additional 20% employee discount. She had brand new items to sell. Both of them did really well.

Afterwards, we went to Lisa's daughter's 5th birthday party at the foster parents home. The foster parents told me that we are welcome to see the kids anytime we want. No invitation necessary. :) I'm still hoping the foster parents will be able to adopt those two girls.

My plans for today are to do 2 loads of laundry, and if I feel up to it, go strawberry picking and make jelly.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Good day at the faire yesterday. Weather was pleasant. And when I got home I found that at least one of the new batch of roadrunner eggs had hatched.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Have fun. Watch out for mutants. :hello:
I was wondering why the bald guy in the wheelchair was there.
scottydog wrote:
Lupine wrote:
We have a dearth of waterfalls out my way. I think I've seen two or three in my life.
I guess you need water to have waterfalls :lol:
That does tend to help. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
RJDiogenes wrote:
My Mother has a little back porch facing the woods and in the middle of the top glass panel in the door there appeared the perfect outline of a bird. Ouch. :lol: There was no body or anything, so we assume that Wile E Pigeon shook it off and went on his way.
Luckily we've never had a bird hit our windows. We did run over a swarm of bees on the way home though.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:29 am
Okay, today I'm taking my camera to Geek Squad for sure.
Hope they can fix it.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 am
Madeliaette wrote:
ts usually the young ones that do that here - until they learn what glass is. sometimes a bird just bounces off and is shocked but fine right away
It makes you wonder how evolution is changing animal behavior. I swear our squirrels have learned to scamper across the road faster than they used to. It's now in their genes to sense pavement as danger.
Well, some birds can open doors.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:46 pm
WOW! That's amazing what conditioning can do. :dog: :bell:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, I did actually haul my butt down to Geek Squad and it turns out they work by appointment-- so I'm scheduled to go back next Sunday. No way I could get there during the week.

I also heard from Gary. He's all settled, but has no Internet yet. Here's his message:
Gary wrote:Just in case the folks at Renaissance are curious about my absence, feel free to let them know all is well. I moved back last weekend and am completely at peace with a greater appreciation for the house in the country. I am settled, for the most part, while I prepare the house in the city for selling.

I'm holding off getting Internet service because the other electric company in the State of Oklahoma, Oklahoma Electric Co-op (OEC) is building its infrastructure of fiber Internet. Last year, the co-op built rings around many areas of the OKC metro, one of which includes the area where I live. Crews have been running fiber down the main road since May, so I feel it will be very soon when service will be available.
So all is well and we'll be hearing from him before too long.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 am
It is possible to observe evolution in action in shorter-lived species. Like the butterfly that changed its coloration when its environment became more urbanized.
Alas, it's the 15th printing, so no value to it at all. It was an antique store that was really a combination antique-thrift store. This was the only comic book I saw in the book section, which had books ranging from a 1961 woodworking volume (which I bought for The Wife) to old printings of Huckleberry Finn.
That sounds like a great area to retire. Are you sure you want to go to Florida?
Cayla wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:41 pm
Afterwards, we went to Lisa's daughter's 5th birthday party at the foster parents home. The foster parents told me that we are welcome to see the kids anytime we want. No invitation necessary. :) I'm still hoping the foster parents will be able to adopt those two girls.
Yeah, it sounds like they are nice people and will be good for the kid.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:46 pm
Good day at the faire yesterday. Weather was pleasant. And when I got home I found that at least one of the new batch of roadrunner eggs had hatched.
A new baby Roadrunner! Cool. :D
Luckily we've never had a bird hit our windows. We did run over a swarm of bees on the way home though.
Aha! The cause of Colony Collapse Disorder has been identified! :warn:
That's fantastic! He figured out the sensor. :thumbsup: Some of the animal intelligence research involving birds is really fascinating. Linguistic abilities, math abilities, self recognition, and culture have all been observed. And here we have problem solving.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Another weekend comes to an end, and I actually got a couple of things accomplished....

Oh, and I also posted a picture of the bird impact at my Mother's house in the picture thread.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:34 pm
Oh, and I also posted a picture of the bird impact at my Mother's house in the picture thread.
That's truly amazing, and almost eerie. I take that back -- it's entirely eerie. It's like The Shroud of Turin :cross:

The Bird Messiah flies in Boston.