Check-In Thread: Who Knew Naming These Things was so Hard?

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Re: Check-In Thread: Who Knew Naming These Things was so Hard?

Post by Sean »

AstroSmurf wrote:^You probably have those new fangled composite tops with the spindly metal frames and missing any sort of book basket underneath. We got them new when I was a Senior in high school. Now I do feel old. (Actually I am not much younger than your parents sonny boy.) I just remember that I could stand up while still in the desk and walk around with it caught on my pelvis and back. I used to move my desk around my calculus class like that to annoy the teacher. Ms. Anston hated me because I was a "trouble maker and a smart ass". :lol: Her words, not mine. That day I told her "watch your language grandma" was the very last time I got sent to the vice principal's office during my public school career. Good times.

:as:
Si senior...they are the desks of which you speak. Most of ours are an off yellow color, although some of the newer ones are shiny, and off white. They're both a pain in the ass to clean though. The ones used in elementary school are the same, only shorter ( obviously), and have a metal belly for holding books and other belongings.

I've been sent to the principal's a few times, although none of them have been for discipline. My old elementary school principal was amazing. He'd have kids down to his office all the time, to chat with them, or to eat lunch with them. He had a nice little Star Trek collection sitting on the windowsill. Nice guy. He retired last year and moved to California to become principal of a Middle School, in Monterrey bay. :( The new guy...eesh...he's not too nice. Banned the teachers from wearing jeans, doesn't let kids in his office...and, apparently the open invitation for any former students to come back and visit doesn't exist. :(

I'm sure there are some good pictures on the school site.

http://www.hamburgschools.org/bostonval ... efault.asp

The school's only about a mile from my house.

Well, I think I'll stay up a bit later to watch Leno in the basement, purely because I can. Dad's already asleep. :D

G'night guys.

:sing:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Wow. These last few pages have been a trip down memory lane. I remember my fourth grade teacher was also the principal. Then she got sick and we had a substitute the rest of the year. I used to fill the inkwells with little bits of paper as well. And since on one else used that desk, I don't remember the inkwell being cleaned out by anyone....but the memory is a bit hazy. :mellow:

I also found out that I don't have to break the news to my son about his father's illness. The step mother called D on Sunday and talked to him for about an hour. I will, however, forward updates to D as I get them from my former brother-in-law.

Well, past time for me to be getting to sleep. Nite everyone1
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Hi all.

Nothing exciting happening here, just deciding which script to write and whether to engage my nemesis in TNZ in a final showdown that would rival Ragnarok. :slugger:

*/looks up definition of Ragnarok in Wikipedia/* Yes, that seems appropriate. :D

Thanks for, uh, the thanks :) It feels good to finally have something going my way.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Well, I guess I can tell you the secret that's been making me a bit melancholy. It happened a little bit more suddenly and sooner that I expected, but KellyzKorner has closed. :sob: Traffic has continued to slow down over the months to a mere trickle and we couldn't find a way to get things back to the way they were; it was decided that we couldn't justify the trouble and expense of keeping thing going. :(

Goodbye, Kellyz. :bye:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

^ Sorry to hear that, RJ.

Morning everyone. It is morning, isn't it? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Imagine by John Lennon

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

Sorry to hear about Kellyz, RJ. I admit I could never get there, trying to divide time across a number of boards is just a bit too hard. Hopefully whatever you did over there can be brought in here and we can keep jazzing this place up.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

I'm sorry to hear about Kellyz, RJ/

Good morning! I have a fun filled day of painting closets at my grandmother's house. I hate painting! It makes me want to rip my hair out. My mom is going to keep the house for now. My brother, once again, needs a place to live, and my mom want a place to stay for when she comes home on the weekends. She also put together a bedroom for me, for when I don't feel like driving to work in winter storms.

In other news, I have to conduct job interviews by myself this week and next week. My boss is out of town until March 2, and we need an assistant ASAP. This should be interesting.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
AstroSmurf
Censor
Censor

Post by AstroSmurf »

^ Kellyz went bye bye? Oh man. How sad RJ. I didn't visit very much but I hate to see it go.

Morning kids. I think my ulcer is back. That may be the reason I have been feeling so crappy lately. I think it is time for a doctor's visit before I get anymore anemic than I already am. *sigh* Damn this stress. I need a vacation... with pay... and cute umbrella drinks... in someplace warm... with a case of antacids... :lol:

I am off to work. I am praying that the day is a good one.

“What I am a carrying this fish for? Why the halibut! Wocka! Wocka!” ~ Fozzie Bear, The Muppet Show

“The only way she would make a contribution to science is if they resumed sending chimps into space.” ~ Sheldon, The Big Bang Theory
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Kellyz is gone? :eek: I guess I should have posted there more often. Really sorry to hear that, RJ :( . As usual not much happening at this end of the world.
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Sorry to hear about Kellyz RJ. If the members are looking for a home...you could show them the way here. :yes:

Good morning everyone. Dad's home again. Nuff said. I' have been awake fr 45 minutes now, and I have been cleaning for 44 minutes. :mad: We got into a huff about garbage, of all things. I had garbage in one of my boxesof belongings downstairs n the basement. Just like, used papers, etc. He yelled at me, and told me to get rid of them, because he didn't want it cluttering up his basement. I told him I'd take the box up to my room, and go through it later. He said that didn't matter, and then ordered me to take care of the garbage regardless. :mad:
Makes now sense! If there's garbage in my boxes, and it doesn't bother me, and its not in any area he's going to encounter, why the hell should it matter if there's garbage? Just a him pointlessly exercising his authority. I've had 16 years of this crap. I'm seriously reconsidering my decision of staying at home during college. :mellow:

THis is going to be a *fun* day...
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Apparently parent/teenager interactions haven't changed any since my day :lol: .
Lord_Plecostomus
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Lord_Plecostomus »

Ok so I'm reading that New York State has decided to sue a Big Name Insurance Company. In other news I just heard some chick at the cancer hospital spontaneously regrew her leg, walked across town and stated kicking the CEO's ass.

...man I'd hate to be married to her sounds like a total bitch. :eek:

Ok reality check: NYS is suing Big Name Insurance Company over something and my wife is having severe gravametric turbulence because it has something to do with the aspect of the company she works with. Not her fault but something she's been concerned about for awhile. That's the bad news. The good news is they are going to set her up to telecommute starting tomorrow so she can help resolve the situation.
Witty comment goes here.
AstroSmurf
Censor
Censor

Post by AstroSmurf »

Lupine wrote:^Apparently parent/teenager interactions haven't changed any since my day :lol: .
Nope. They haven't. :lol:

Hi folks. I came home early today to work on my presentation thingy some more. I have some bugs to work out before we get it up and running and I can't do that from the office. But today is simply beautiful and have dragged the laptop out on the balcony to do my work. The sun feels wonderful! But the best part is that the really hot UPS man just dropped off my Flash Gordon serial set! Guess what I am watching after Lost tonight? :thumbsup: I am so excited! Today has turned out to be a good one. Now tomorrow is going to be another story. I go to have my teeth cleaned and I HATE having my teeth cleaned. You can't win them all can you. :lol:

I will be back later...

“What I am a carrying this fish for? Why the halibut! Wocka! Wocka!” ~ Fozzie Bear, The Muppet Show

“The only way she would make a contribution to science is if they resumed sending chimps into space.” ~ Sheldon, The Big Bang Theory
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

hey everyone! Checking in. Just waiting for the snow to start..... :mellow:
Imagine by John Lennon

Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Sean »

Well, I just got back from Best Buy. Dad's laptop finally died, so he got a new laptop, and since we need a new computer for the basement, he picked up a desktop, and he picked up an iPod touch for himself, to act as a PDA. Yeah...little over $2K...he'll be screwing with the computers and internet for the rest of the night, so if I'm not back in today, you know...

That, or I'll be playing Call of Duty 4, which we picked up with the new machine. :D

So, have a great evening everyone, and if I can't get back in here for a while, a good morning/afternoon tomorrow.

:sing: