Questions Only VI: How Much Is Too Much?

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Questions Only VI: How Much Is Too Much?

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:54 pm
I would say that it's a grudge if you feel a deep resentment toward her. If you have no feelings for her and you're just keeping your distance from her to protect yourself from her, then it's not a grudge.
It's more like disinterest, I think. She tried to talk to me at the last St. Margaret's reunion, which would have been the first time in about 25 years, and I just walked away. I had no desire to bother with her or discuss the past.
You're kind of touching on how I feel about my stepchildren. I know the word "toxic" is overused, but they are toxic to me. I can't have a conversation with them without them showing condescension toward me. So I don't really have a relationship with them, other than to say "hi" and "goodbye" to them when they come over to our house.

Do I really know them? Probably not. Their behavior has caused me to decide not to get to know them at any deep level. And that's okay. I give my wife a lot of credit for being okay with me not having a relationship with her kids.

Isn't it nice when we can give ourselves permission not to be friends with (or close to) everyone in our lives?
Sometimes it gets to the point where it's just not worth it.

Do you think it's possible that there are alternate universes where some relationships are completely the opposite because early interactions were a little different? If so, does that mean that the potential to change those relationships here exists?
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Yes, absolutely. Sometimes I think my wife's middle kid, a daughter, may now actually be a semi-decent person. I'm not sure. Should I give her another chance?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Sure, why not? Just be careful, though. If she's a Millennial, she'll probably think you're hitting on her. :lol:

Do you think longer lifespans are contributing to people maturing more slowly?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

I don't think so. I think kids mature more slowly because we allow them to avoid growing up. I witnessed this with my wife and her son. She was helping him get dressed when he was ten years old. My mother made me dress myself when I was three :lol: So no wonder my stepson is 22 years old but developmentally he's basically a 12-year-old :no:

(and by the way, he's avoided getting a drivers license and has never been on a date and still plays with his pokemon cards)

What are your thoughts?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think he has developmental issues that will cause him some serious harm. Does he have a job?

Switching tracks, how do you celebrate Easter? Is there chocolate involved?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:13 pm
I think he has developmental issues that will cause him some serious harm. Does he have a job?
He works at Kroger bagging groceries and goes to college part-time. So I give him some credit for leading a normal life in some ways.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:13 pm
Switching tracks, how do you celebrate Easter? Is there chocolate involved?
I don't really celebrate Easter other than to buy bags and bags of those chocolate Easter eggs which I devour at an alarming frequency. The Wife and I do go to church, which has been streamed online for over a year now. I actually enjoy church even if I'm not a true believer -- I think it's fascinating how the church tries, and succeeds somewhat, to improve people's lives.

Is anyone in your family religious? If so, how did they become that way?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I come from an Irish Catholic family. They're all religious nuts. :lol: My Mother goes to church every day, volunteers at the church in various capacities, hangs out with church friends, and spent many years working at a church before she retired. When I was young, she was very obnoxious and intolerant about it, but she's mellowed in her old age.

How about your family?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

My family is mostly non-religious with the exception of the most dysfunctional wing of my dad's family, whose medieval Trump-loving mentality is truly alarming.

Are you encouraged by data showing that church membership is in steep decline?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, church membership has been in decline for a long time, as that graph shows. What I didn't realize is how steeply the decline has increased in the 21st century. This is good news, aside from the side effect of the remaining religious membership being increasingly extremist. The other long-term trend which is encouraging is that people are continuing to abandon membership in political parties.

Do you think domestic terrorism will increase as religious and political affiliations decline.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Yes, that seems to be the pattern. One reason the Republican Party has become so dangerous in recent years is because it is like a wounded animal backed into a corner. The animal knows its days are numbered and will destroy anything, even our country, in order to survive. Their thinking is that desperate times call for desperate measures.

Do you think a younger, more competent version of Trump can win the Presidency in 2024?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:01 am
Yes, that seems to be the pattern. One reason the Republican Party has become so dangerous in recent years is because it is like a wounded animal backed into a corner.
Yes, that's exactly it.
Do you think a younger, more competent version of Trump can win the Presidency in 2024?
Certainly. He showed the weaknesses in the system. They're already consolidating their power to take control of the Electoral College. We can only hope that the situation with the pandemic and the economy continues to improve. We need time on our side, because the Left Wing certainly isn't.

How long do you think it will take the news media to recover from The Donald?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Not sure what you mean by "recover". The news media helped create Trump and the left-wing media (CNN, NYT) is just as guilty as the right-wing media. It's all about what brings ratings (and clicks) and the news media all knew that more Trump meant more money. All that free publicity for him helped elect the most evil and corrupt President of the last 150 years.

So if by "recover" you mean that the news media acquire some ethical standards, I'm not very optimistic. Money talks. But you probably mean something else. Am I right?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's pretty much what I mean. Ethics and professionalism. Before The Donald, CNN was a legitimate, if theatrical, news outlet. Then they decided to become the Left-Wing answer to Fox and now they don't have any news anchors or news reporting-- just commentators commentating. Totally unprofessional. They should all be tied to chairs in a locked room and forced to watch Walter Cronkite for a month.

What do you think of Jefferson's observation that it's better to have newspapers without government than government without newspapers?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

I most definitely agree with Mr. Jefferson. A government with too much power will abuse that power. Your hero blog essay on The Greatest Power remains one of my favorites.

Was it Jefferson or someone else who said, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's attributed to him, but it's disputed. Zillions of people have said that or similar things.

How can we fund a free press so that it's not beholden to the government or advertisers or political cults?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

It's the latter that concerns me. Cable news networks know that the more extreme, outrageous and false a story is, the more it attracts an audience. There is not much financial incentive to be moderate and reasonable. I don't know a way out of this and still have freedom of the press.

Is it enough to hold news agencies accountable to report the truth, to only air news that can be fact-checked?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

But who watches the watchers?

There has always been yellow journalism, but there used to be some outlets with integrity. Granted the TV networks are still pretty reliable, but they're dying.

Will it be possible to create an AI to filter news and rate it by truthfulness, sort of like an Internet Gort?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

That would be funny -- and great -- to subject the newscasts to a "truthiness" filter such that when bullshit is being broadcast, sirens go off or warnings appear on the screen or the newcaster's hair is set on fire :lol:

Have you ever seen one political party engage in open warfare on the truth with such shameless regularity?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:36 pm
That would be funny -- and great -- to subject the newscasts to a "truthiness" filter such that when bullshit is being broadcast, sirens go off or warnings appear on the screen or the newcaster's hair is set on fire :lol:
I like that. An Internet-sized lie detector that delivers a jolt like a taser. :lol:
Have you ever seen one political party engage in open warfare on the truth with such shameless regularity?
No, but I've seen two. Rimshot. :lol:

Do you think this is happening because the Internet is still so new, and that a generation will someday come along that is immune?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

If you're suggesting we should be teaching kids to be critical, independent thinkers and to be internet savvy, yes. But I'm not optimistic that this will happen any time soon.

On another note, why is the world making such a huge deal about Prince Philip's death when the man had absolutely no impact on the world whatsoever?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:48 am
If you're suggesting we should be teaching kids to be critical, independent thinkers and to be internet savvy, yes. But I'm not optimistic that this will happen any time soon.
Well, they're already teaching it in schools. And I think just growing up in an environment where misinformation is a known issue may be good for them. Who knows, this all may be a good thing in the long run.
On another note, why is the world making such a huge deal about Prince Philip's death when the man had absolutely no impact on the world whatsoever?
He's royalty, the longest-living royal consort, I think, and he came this close to the century mark. The royalty is big stuff. Imagine when the queen dies and a new king is crowned.

Do you think the royalty should be abolished or preserved as a unique part of British culture?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

I have no problem preserving the royalty, although I'm baffled by the amount of attention they get. They're just rich people, no different from the Kardashians.

Did the royals lose power because they abused it and thus incentivized people to come up with a better system?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:49 pm
I have no problem preserving the royalty, although I'm baffled by the amount of attention they get. They're just rich people, no different from the Kardashians.
Well, the monarchy has been an integral part of British culture for centuries longer than our country even exists, so it means a lot to most of them. And it's so famous and so ostentatious that it draws attention from around the world.
Did the royals lose power because they abused it and thus incentivized people to come up with a better system?
I think it's a case of the children taking the lead. It's just the way the world started to go after the American Revolution.

Do you think there will be independent nations on other worlds, or will all settlements be extensions of nations on Earth?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

It's fun to speculate what other-worldly intelligent life will be like. On the one hand, it could be argued reasonably that intelligent life will evolve in a manner similar to how it has evolved here on Earth. But could there be paradigms of intelligent life and intelligent living that we cannot even imagine?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Oops, I was unclear. I meant when mankind colonizes space, will the settlements be extensions of existing nations or independent?