Questions Only VI: How Much Is Too Much?

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Questions Only VI: How Much Is Too Much?

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:12 am
Would you be disappointed if we were some super-intelligent alien race's idea of an experiment?
Less than if we were some super-stupid alien race's idea of an experiment. :lol:
Do you believe in the multiverse idea?
Kind of. Certainly our universe must exist in a larger context along with other universes (or the equivalent). Whether they have policies and protocols like ours is an open question, although I doubt it. As for the multiverse idea that we live alternate lives, that's a trickier question. That's based on quantum uncertainty principles, like the double-slit experiment, and quantum waves and so forth. But quantum uncertainty tends to average out at the macro level and quantum wave functions have a tendency to collapse when observed, so I lean toward the model where those pivot points collapse into one real universe. On the other hand, if the universe does exist in a larger context, then it would be governed by the higher laws of that context, and so it may be subject to quantum effects in its entirety. In which case, maybe yes.
I hadn't heard about dark energy. I just looked it up and apparently it's even more mysterious than dark matter.
Nobody really knows anything about Dark Energy. However, I wrote the book on Dark Fatigue. :sleep:

If there are other universes, what do you think your other selves might be doing right now?
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Well, if everything that could happen does happen in another universe, then aren't there versions of me that range from being President of the US to being a skid row drunk? That's my problem with the multiverse idea -- basically anything and everything goes, which negates the importance of free choice and free will.

Do you understand how the Big Bang relates to the multiverse? Was the Big Bang the origin of everything, or just the origin of our universe?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:36 am
Well, if everything that could happen does happen in another universe, then aren't there versions of me that range from being President of the US to being a skid row drunk? That's my problem with the multiverse idea -- basically anything and everything goes, which negates the importance of free choice and free will.
Have you ever read Niven's "All The Myriad Ways?" It's classic SF, and quite a thought-provoking essay on that topic.
Do you understand how the Big Bang relates to the multiverse? Was the Big Bang the origin of everything, or just the origin of our universe?
Well, nothing is really known of this as yet, but my feeling is that the Big Bang was the origin of just our universe, like a bubble appearing in a denser medium. There really can't be an origin of everything. At some point, causality has to break down as a local phenomenon.

How do you think the universe will end?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

The universe will end as a result of the acceleration of its expansion. Once the acceleration approaches the speed of light, the mass of the universe will become infinite, the energy required to move everything will be infinite, and the universe will explode in yet another Big Bang. Maybe even a Bigger Bang :lol:

Could I be right? :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Actually, yes. There are several theories that a continually-expanding universe could ultimately recreate the theoretical conditions of the Big Bang, resulting in another Bigger Bang. It has more to do with vacuum density than the speed of light, because the expansion of the universe has exceeded that before. But now that you mention it, if Dark Energy does propel the expansion beyond the speed of light, it could result in another inflationary episode, which would be the equivalent of a Bigger Bang. Maybe there was even a Smaller Bang before our universe.

The interesting thing is that the equations that are currently accepted to describe the universe require that the universe be flat-- in other words, that it be perfectly balanced between expansion and contraction so that it eventually stops and just sits there. Given general entropy and proton decay that would seem to foretell a universe that becomes a dead void. But I'm pretty sure there are more discoveries to be had in the future-- at the very least, they're not taking into account the context that the universe exists in (because they can't).

Would you change your mind about living forever if you could move through the multiverse at will and learn everything there is to learn?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Yes.

Next question, please :lol:

Actually, what you're positing is an infinite number of experiences to be had. If that were possible, then immortality would be fun and would kind of be justified.

But you know what? I'd arrange it so that immortality was contingent on one's willingness to have those experiences. The last thing I'd want, if I were Master of the Universe, is for people to live in their parents' basements playing video games for all eternity. I want people to earn their immortality :lol:

What do you think of the concept of earned immortality?