Blogging, Part II

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Blogging, Part II

Post by RJDiogenes »

And my essay on Sidney Poitier has been completed and PM'd at last. :thumbsup:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Woot! :thumbsup:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Awesome. You guys are the best! I'll post them after I catch up from my trip.

Feel free to pm me a few photos to accompany your essays. Or if you prefer, I'll dig some up.

Many thanks. :D :D
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

You're welcome. I hope you like it. It probably won't be as controversial as my last one, though. Maybe I should do "Heroism As Fractal Geometry" or something.

I'll see what I can dig up for pictures.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

scottydog wrote:Feel free to pm me a few photos to accompany your essays. Or if you prefer, I'll dig some up.
Go ahead and dig some up. Pics of Andrew Jackson are a dime a dozen.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^ Will do! Still catching up but I should be posting AJ soon! :)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, that gives me plenty of time to find pictures of Sidney Poitier (which shouldn't be too hard, either :lol: ).

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

I guess there was a reason I was having trouble trusting the guy who offered to design my blogsite. As soon as I get home from my car's 30,000 mile maintenance, I'll be calling the hosting site's customer service and requesting help, which is what I meant to do last month when he stepped up and told me that before he took the job at the women's business center he was a professional web designer, and would help me set up, no charge. Apparently he wasn't up to the challenge, though, but thought he was getting an opportunity to get a free copy of my whatever the hosting site's instructions are called. Whatever.

Probably I should learn the lingo, so I know how to ask questions that get me the kind of answers I need. I have a handle on "domain name" and am vaguely aware that I chose a hosting site, but after that, yikes! Content is piling up, and I need to find out how to post it, which probably requires formatting, but it's about time I learned how to that, right?
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^ Good luck resolving this issue, emma. You're right, he wasn't up to the challenge.

Just posted Lupy's excellent essay on Andrew Jackson. It's fascinating how presidential reputations shift over the decades and centuries.

http://blog.richmond.edu/heroes/2013/09 ... r-opinion/
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Sweet. I will take a look.
emma glitch wrote:I guess there was a reason I was having trouble trusting the guy who offered to design my blogsite. As soon as I get home from my car's 30,000 mile maintenance, I'll be calling the hosting site's customer service and requesting help, which is what I meant to do last month when he stepped up and told me that before he took the job at the women's business center he was a professional web designer, and would help me set up, no charge. Apparently he wasn't up to the challenge, though, but thought he was getting an opportunity to get a free copy of my whatever the hosting site's instructions are called. Whatever.
Oh, boy, I'm sorry to hear that.
Probably I should learn the lingo, so I know how to ask questions that get me the kind of answers I need. I have a handle on "domain name" and am vaguely aware that I chose a hosting site, but after that, yikes! Content is piling up, and I need to find out how to post it, which probably requires formatting, but it's about time I learned how to that, right?
I have minimal experience in web publishing, but I know the basics. You need a web publishing program, like FrontPage (but I think one of those free Adobe programs that Orpheus told us about is a web publisher-- I'll check), which you use to design the pages. It works basically like a word processor, where you set up the text and graphics and links on-screen with a WYSIWYG editor (it should also give you the option of working directly with the HTML, but that's more complicated). Then you click the publish button (after entering the specific address supplied by your host, along with your password) and your stuff is sent to your website). Once you've got it set up, it should just be a question of setting up the page and clicking Publish, almost like posting at Tumblr.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That was very interesting. I wonder how many people will accept that one person can be both hero and villain?

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

I think I'm getting the hang of it. The magic word Publish part eluded me until I tried just now to edit my About Me page, and had one hell of a time figuring out what I needed to do next. :Ahhh: Something that I should have learned at Tumblr? :blush: Anyway, the banner is perfect and beautiful; it needed a tiny bit of stretching to fill the header, but cropping is available on site; one day I hope to find it again on my own. :yes: My website still needs a lot of work and I'm just getting started on the piles of content I have, some written, some outlined, some in a mental holding pattern, but ready to go. I need to learn more about what I got myself into.

Oh, and did I ever do a turnaround last night! I got pushy with the web designer guy, and he backed down and told me what was really going on, found an hour for me this morning, we traded some minor snark about being focused and getting it done, and we got a lot done! He needed to know that I wasn't an airhead, I just needed to learn what to call stuff so I could make my plans known, and I needed to know that September is crunch time for nonprofits, and his idiot bosses decided to hold a conference next week on short notice, so everybody is rushing around getting mandatory reports finished. :Ahhh:

Once we learned to speak each other's language, we did fine. Heh, when we emerged from his office smiling, his staff let out a big sigh of relief. It is a women's business center, and part of the mission is for men to teach women the stuff we missed out on that they learned from their old boys network mentors, so making the breakthrough on when it is appropriate to get pushy, and how pushy to get, all on my own was apparently a big, giant step. :lol:
emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

scottydog wrote:Just posted Lupy's excellent essay on Andrew Jackson. It's fascinating how presidential reputations shift over the decades and centuries.

http://blog.richmond.edu/heroes/2013/09 ... r-opinion/

Squeeeeeee!
I commented! :dance:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Thanks, Emma! :yes:

I was thinking about replying to Langdon's comment, but the more I read it the more I realized that his was the standard "that's not a hero" type of comment. The kind that usually show up when a celebrity or an athlete are profiled.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, he pretty much missed the point.

I'm glad you got all that straightened out with the guy, emma. Do you think you'll be ready to go live this weekend?