The Watching Thread #4

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Re: The Watching Thread #4

Post by Gary » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:56 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:50 pm
The trailer for Westworld season 3 is up:

:pony:
:guffaw: :guffaw:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed May 01, 2019 12:32 am

I could definitely go for a season of Westworld Meets Sesameworld. :lol:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Yesterday I watched Doctor Strange, one of the three DVDs I got for my birthday. It was pretty good, but, of course, they changed a lot. It was much more violent than the Doc Strange comics, with all of the magical battles being essentially Kung Fu fighting with sparks. The special effects are impressive, but owe more to MC Escher than Steve Ditko, except for a brief sequence at the end. Essentially, it's Doctor Strange for the 21st century, so everything is kind of watered down and unfocused, although the central theme arrogance evolving into humility is sorta kinda there.

Tonight, I've got a DVD double feature of two movies from 1932, The Monster Walks (gorilla on the loose!) and The Thirteenth Guest (Ginger Rogers on the loose!). Like many movies of the era, each is only a little over an hour long.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat May 11, 2019 1:24 pm

The series Lucifer has moved to Netflix and resumed with Season 4. Unlike Longmire, the writing hasn't improved much nor has the length of each episode increased. Series co-star Lauren German has had obvious collagen lip injections -- she looks like a duck in the first couple of episodes, which is both distracting and off-putting. The writers introduced a new story wherein a priest who believed in some ancient prophesy wanted to banish Lucifer back to Hell. The odd-sideline is Eve (yes, that Eve) decided to leave Heaven and return to earth. She found her bones and *poof* she's back. :wtf: Apparently, she was, and still is, a major party girl along with having been a love of Lucifer's long ago. It seems Adam was always pining for his first wife, Lilith.

Meh, it's passable enough that I'll stick with the show.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Interesting take on Eve. Strangely, I always wanted to see Adam and Eve turn up on Supernatural.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Last week, I watched Operation Finale. Reviews weren't that great, but I really enjoyed it.
Director Chris Weitz's historical thriller is based on the story of how a group of Israeli secret agents arrested notorious SS officer Adolf Eichmann - the man who masterminded the "Final Solution" - in Argentina. Oscar Isaac plays the legendary Mossad agent Peter Malkin, while Ben Kingsley plays his emotionally manipulative arch-nemesis. After tracking Eichmann down to Buenos Aires, Malkin and his men captured him and brought him to Israel for a historic 8-month trial.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 18, 2019 7:45 pm

The first episode of Doom Patrol is available for free on YouTube (but can't be downloaded).

^^ First I typed "issue" before I caught myself. :lol:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun May 19, 2019 7:20 pm

Started Season 2 of American Gods last night. Meanwhile, I'm up to Season 3 of The Americans. I know several of you have already watched it, but WOW -- this is a really well done series. I am also almost finished watching the original The Twilight Zone on Netflix streaming as well. I think I have two or three episodes remaining.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun May 19, 2019 8:29 pm

I couldn't get into American Gods. I remember enjoying the book, years ago, but the show just didn't engage me.

I was able to watch the first episode of Doom Patrol yesterday and it was surprisingly good. Of course, there were changes made from the source material, which always grinds me, but it was quite faithful to the concept and the characters. The creators obviously had respect for the material they were adapting. And the story was basically a series of character studies with no overt super-villain conflict, aside from the menace of Mr. Nobody, which was more of a portent of things to come. Surprisingly, none of the characters seem to have yet learned how to use their powers constructively, despite all of them being around for decades. I will definitely pick this up on DVD when (or if) it comes out.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 am

We finished season 2 of The OA, last night. I really like this show, but I do not like that I will have to wait another 2 years for Netflix to create and release season 3.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life. -Jean Luc Picard

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed May 22, 2019 10:37 pm

The ever-longer waits between ever-shorter seasons drives me crazy.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Wed May 22, 2019 10:51 pm

Cayla wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 am
We finished season 2 of The OA, last night. I really like this show, but I do not like that I will have to wait another 2 years for Netflix to create and release season 3.
It took me a bit to get into Season 2 of The OA. I'd forgotten they traveled to different dimensions. Meanwhile, I finished Season 2 of American Gods, but I don't think I'll bother with Season 3. Too much surrealism and imagery for my taste.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu May 23, 2019 10:01 pm

I don't think I ever heard of The OA. I looked it up on Wiki and it didn't sound familiar at all.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu May 23, 2019 10:19 pm

^It's new to me too, though being on Netflix could be one of the reasons.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri May 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Elementary finally returned last night. They're saying Final Season though.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri May 24, 2019 10:14 pm

I heard that was coming to an end this year.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat May 25, 2019 2:52 pm

I need to find new shows. Lately I've been mostly watching old episodes of British and Australian shows.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat May 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Lupine wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:19 pm
^It's new to me too, though being on Netflix could be one of the reasons.
Yes, The OA is a Netflix produced & distributed program.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 25, 2019 7:04 pm

I still don't have Netflix. I need to stabilize my budget a bit more.

I got Don Glut's new DVD, Tales of Frankenstein this week, so I'll try to watch tonight. Like Chris Mihm and Larry Blamire, his movies are retro Drive-In style, but usually with some sex and nudity.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon May 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Last night I watched Dark Alibi from my second set of Charlie Chan movies. Nothing like an old black-and-white mystery movie before bed. :yes:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:22 pm

On Saturday, I watched an episode of Femme Fatales ("Trophy Wife") and last night I watch the second movie from my current Charlie Chan Collection (Dangerous Money).

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:42 pm

^I've only seen a couple of the Charlie Chan movies. I'd like to see more of them.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 pm

I like Charlie Chan. He was a staple of the late-night mystery movies on Channel 38 when I was a kid. The movies are pretty typical of the day, made for double features at just over an hour long, so they're more like TV shows than movies.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:22 pm

I've been hearing a lot of chatter about the HBO mini-series Chernobyl so, this past weekend, I found it via a :pirate: streaming site. I have to say that the entire series is absolutely fantastic. I remember when it happened, and how we heard about it in the West; however, the people involved -- rescuers, health care workers, and the citizens -- went through absolute hell. It is amazing the disaster wasn't worse than it actually was. I highly recommend the series to anyone who appreciates documentaries.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 pm

That sounds interesting. I saw something Chernobyl not too long ago. Apparently the area is still abandoned, but nature has taken over and it's overrun with plants and animals. I'm guessing horrible killer mutants, too, but the report I saw didn't mention those.