The Watching Thread #4

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Re: The Watching Thread #4

Post by Gary »

The streaming site I used to watch The Mandalorian has The Boys, so I started that last night. WOW :eek: The people who told me that was more of a realistic take on super heroes weren't kidding. I'm three episodes in and am really enjoying it.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Today I watched A Fungus Among Us, which is a film by Joshua Kennedy that I recently found out about. This guy is a master of the retro movie homage, so I try to follow everything he does. A contributed to his Kickstarter for another movie, but that one hasn't appeared yet.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

Discovered the site which is hosting Doctor Who and The Mandalorian also has the two seasons of The Boys. After an errors (started at Season 2) I have completed Season 1. :eek: Great show which I understand is toned down from the original graphic comic. Can't wait to finish Season 2.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

Finished Season 2 of The Boys last night. I'll probably watch Season 3 when it's available. I've been growing frustrated at the first DVD of Star Trek: Picard being stuck in a 'Short Wait' status at Netflix, so I might start watching that via the streaming site instead. The later DVDs always show as being available, so perhaps I can watch a few episodes via streaming and then get the DVD queue going.
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

I started Season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery last night and finished the first three episodes. The crew are now in the year 3188, and something happened to Dilithium which caused an event referred to as The Burn. The end result of The Burn was the collapse of The Federation. Earth is now an isolationist planet while the rest of the galaxy is, for the most part, a no-man's land.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

They should have started with that.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

I finished Season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery. I have to agrees that the Orion Osyraa was a good villain (for once). Not sure I like the 32nd Century tech, such as the personal transporters, but perhaps technology would have evolved to that point. The series is green-lit for a fourth season, which I will definitely watch.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I don't know about personal transporters, but one thing I would have added if I were the boss of Trek is personal force fields.

Sci-Fi Girl
Lictor
Lictor

Post by Sci-Fi Girl »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:20 pm
I don't know about personal transporters, but one thing I would have added if I were the boss of Trek is personal force fields.
They actually sort of used one on Discovery, it was a force field bubble that was used as an escape pod! (More like an emergency backup escape pod, the main ones were already used.) :)

SFG
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That seems a little advanced for Discovery-- or was it in the far future?

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:55 pm
That seems a little advanced for Discovery-- or was it in the far future?
Discovery is in the 32nd Century. It may have been one of the upgrades Starfleet installed when she was refit. Oh, Federation vessels can now cloak. Heck, seems everyone has cloaking technology.
Sci-Fi Girl
Lictor
Lictor

Post by Sci-Fi Girl »

^ Yep, as of season 3, Discovery is in the FAR future. And they have all kinds of new toys! :D (Some of which make more sense than others. :lol: )

Though, other things from the 23rd/24th centuries have been forgotten or lost. In some ways, they kind of did an Andromeda thing with S3 Discovery, in a good way! B)

SFG
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's why I asked. I knew they bounced into the future, but a lot of the technology they used in the past was too advanced for its time.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

Am currently re-watching Season 4 of Better Call Saul since I can't remember which episode I last watched while streaming it from a free service.