The Watching Thread #5

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: The Watching Thread #5

Post by Lupine »

I found some old episodes of Barnaby Jones on YouTube.
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

I am currently watching Lilyhammer on Netflix. It's pretty darned good.
Frank Tagliano (Steven Van Zandt) is a former New York mobster, who after testifying in a trial in the United States, joins the witness protection program. Intrigued by the place after watching the Winter Olympics in 1994, he is relocated to Lillehammer in Norway. The transition from being a feared and respected gangster in New York, to becoming an unemployed immigrant in Norway, is not simple. Frank soon discovers that in order to succeed in this rural Norwegian society, he must resort to his old ways.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The Unseen Invasion was great, as always. Chris describes it as being in the spirit of Scooby-Doo, which it kind of is, but I found the plot to be very Outer Limits-like.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:03 pm
We occasionally watch Barnaby Jones on Saturday mornings. Buddy Ebsen makes a cool 70s detective and Lee Meriwether is a knockout (she's also on Time Tunnel, which we occasionally watch). It's also got great theme music.
Gary wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:31 pm
I am currently watching Lilyhammer on Netflix. It's pretty darned good.
That's certainly an unusual premise. :lol:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:53 pm
Lupine wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:03 pm
We occasionally watch Barnaby Jones on Saturday mornings. Buddy Ebsen makes a cool 70s detective and Lee Meriwether is a knockout (she's also on Time Tunnel, which we occasionally watch). It's also got great theme music.
Yeah, I used to watch re-runs after school while growing up. Glad I found it.
Lee Meriwether also played Catwoman once.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

She was also briefly in Mission: Impossible and had a rather memorable guest appearance on Star Trek.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

I applied a bunch of updates to my laptop which I use for streaming, and something changed as I no longer have a list of shows in my streaming queue for viewing. I need to figure out what I can do as I was part way through the final season of Lillyhammer. I opted to watch Sentinelle last night.
Klara who is thirty-three years old. She is an interpreter in the French Army. After experiencing the horrors of war in Syria, she was transferred to Nice as part of Operation Sentinel. There, with her mother and her sister Tania, she tries to rebuild herself. But one evening, after going to a nightclub, Tania is found half-dead on the beach. She was raped and beaten up. Klara will then do everything to find the attackers and avenge her sister. This merciless hunt will lead her in the footsteps of Yvan Kadnikov, the son of a powerful Russian oligarch of the French Riviera.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ That sounds interesting. What was the tone of the movie? Action? Drama?
Gary wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:41 pm
I applied a bunch of updates to my laptop which I use for streaming, and something changed as I no longer have a list of shows in my streaming queue for viewing.
That's a pain in the ass. I wouldn't expect your account info to be stored locally.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:35 pm
^^ That sounds interesting. What was the tone of the movie? Action? Drama?
A combination of action and drama.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Hmm. I might give that one a try.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

I have been watching WandaVision via a streaming site and have one episode remaining. It is better than I expected, but I am puzzled as to where it fits in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

From what I've read, the last episode may clear that up.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

Finished the last episode of WandaVision. I have to say I think they did a great job modernizing the Scarlet Witch's costume. This brief series has set up Doctor Strange 2 and also Captain Marvel 2.
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

He Never Died.
Jack's in a rut. Depression and severe anti-social behavior has whittled down his existence to sleeping and watching television. He spends his days in a diner, playing church bingo and sleeping. When some hired thugs show up Jack's life is stirred up and the question of his existence comes to light.
This is enjoyable with an interesting reveal and twist toward the end.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Gary wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:50 am
Jack's in a rut. Depression and severe anti-social behavior has whittled down his existence to sleeping and watching television.
My God, it's the story of my life! :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Me, too, if I could only sleep.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

I finished Lillyhammer last night. Not sure what I'll tackle next on streaming. I did watch Constantine (again) the other night and have also been watching Veep via DVD. So far, I've been loving Veep. I would think they'd have Julia Louis-Dreyfus visit with the current Veep.
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Re: Funny/Humorous YouTube Videos

Post by Gary »

I've started watching Narcos on Netflix and am about six episodes deep into Season 1. I watched the movie Lockout the other evening (second time). Guy Pearce's character, Snow, is replete with witty dialog. It is evident he had a lot of fun with the role.
In 2079, in Washington, the ex-CIA Operative Snow is brutally interrogated, accused of treason against the United States. The chief of the secret service Scott Langral believes that he shot the agent Frank in a hotel room. Meanwhile, the idealistic daughter of the president of the USA, Emilie Warnock, is visiting MS One, a maximum security prison in outer space expecting to find evidence that the prisoners are actually guinea pigs of a huge corporation. When one of her bodyguards loses a hidden pistol to the dangerous prisoner Hydell, he subdues the staff in the central control room and releases the prisoners, including his brother Alex who becomes the leader of the riot. Now the veteran agent Harry Shaw offers freedom to Snow if he succeeds in rescuing the president's daughter. But the idealistic Emilie does not want to leave MS-One without the hostages.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I just got my DVD of Save Yourselves, which I hope to watch this weekend. Trailer. I found out about it from SFG and it looks great. I realized that I recognize the woman from Mr. Robot-- naturally, she's a lot funnier in this. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I watched Save Yourselves and it was very enjoyable, though there were a few odd things about it. The main characters were a cute couple, which is what mainly drew me to the movie-- they were rather Millennial, but the script took a bit of a satiric slant to that. The script also had a weird randomness about it, with a few things that had no payoff, and a WTF ending worthy of Hitchcock or Kubrick. Lots to talk about, though. :D

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Not familiar with that one.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I hadn't either, but SFG posted a trailer over at EI and it caught my fancy. Kind of reminded me of myself when I was thirtyish.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

Am absolutely loving Veep and have finished all three seasons of Narcos. I watched Bill and Ted Face the Music. Meh, the first movie was lightning in a bottle. Last night, I opted to watch Collateral again.
Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary »

A coworker recommended Schitt's Creek. Last night, I kept nodding off and/or snoozing through some of the episodes. So far, I am enjoying it considering I don't usually care for Eugene Levy. I've been told once I get into Season 2 the show's humorous moments really take off. Then again, it's a Canadian series, and Canuck humour has always eluded me.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^For some reason a lot of Canadian series leave me rather meh.
Which is odd as I rather like a lot of British and Australian TV. :conf: