The Watching Thread #4

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Re: The Watching Thread #4

Post by emma glitch »

I can't find the check in thread.

I would love a self driving car.

I would also love a blu ray player that I dont need to study so jhard to get it to play. I have Sttuggles of the Sea wolves and I want to see it, A fried's father is the guy at the end who waves and he's gonna get a speaking part in the sequal.
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

There's a new check-in thread. I'll show it to you later. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The Timeless finale movie is on tonight. They better save Rufus, that's all I can say. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Will that be the end of the series?
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Ant-Man and the Wasp was probably one of the better at humor Marvel movies. It definitely had the best cameo by the late Stan Lee. The post-credit scene helps explain Ant-Man's absence in Avengers: Infinity War.

Meanwhile, I've added the series Madam Secretary to my Netflix streaming queue. I like Keith Carradine as the US President. He's an underrated actor in my book.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 pm
^Will that be the end of the series?
Very likely. Although it was cancelled and then un-cancelled once, then cancelled and resurrected for this two-hour movie, so it obviously has friends in high places.
Gary wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:51 am
Meanwhile, I've added the series Madam Secretary to my Netflix streaming queue. I like Keith Carradine as the US President. He's an underrated actor in my book.
Plus, he had a hit single back in the 70s. :sing:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, the Timeless finale delivered everything it needed to. It wrapped up the Rittenhouse storyline (with a nice little twist), resolved several personal storylines (mostly by killing relatives or leaving them dead), brought Flynn's arc full circle, gave us a look at the lives of the main characters four or five years hence, left the door open for further adventures-- and, of course, brought back Rufus.

It also maintained the historical adventures angle of the series by contriving to bring the characters to the Old West in the first hour and the Korean War in the second. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the finale were adapted from a couple of existing scripts, which is fine. It gave the fans of the show what they wanted to see, rather than trying to be shocking or game changing or controversial or otherwise stupid. Just the regular old stupid that originally endeared us to the show. I'm not going to complain about, or even contemplate, the wonky time travel physics involved, since that's beside the point. Timeless is essentially The Time Tunnel for the 21st century-- we get to see some characters that we like escape peril in various historical settings.

Now hopefully they'll release the director's cut on DVD.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I'm glad it ended well. So many great series get underwhelming endings.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, or endings that leave a bad taste in your mouth.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yesterday I mentioned the show Ozzie's Girls to somebody, so today I went looking for it. It's not on DVD, sadly, but I found five episodes on YouTube and downloaded them. The picture quality is terrible, but the picture quality would have been terrible when I first watched it anyway. :lol: It was a syndicated sequel to The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet that came on in the early 70s and only lasted one year. The premise was that the boys had moved out, so Ozzie and Harriet were suffering from empty nest syndrome-- to cure this they rented out the spare room to a couple of college girls, adorable Hippie chicks that I had a huge crush on. And they are just as cute as I remember. It would be nice if the whole series came to DVD.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I remember hearing about the show but never saw any episodes. I should pop into Youtube and watch a couple.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I found five. Two are in black and white, but I would have seen them in black and white anyway. It's a really nice, low-key show, emblematic of the positive energy that was around at the time.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I'm part-way through Season 2 of Madam Secretary. Not a bad series, although a former co-worker referred to it as "a bunch of whiny, left wing BS". Last night, I watched Avengers: Infinity Wars (second time) just in case anything new stuck out to me. The other night, we watched Moneyball, which is an interesting take on how statistics were used to change the game of baseball.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I watched Wonder Woman for a second time (first time Beth watched it). She liked it, and I explained to her the big hub-bub of the SJWs freaking out that audiences and critics hated both Ocean's 8 and Ghostbusters Answer the Call because they were horrible movies. The SJWs rant and rave people have been influenced by the "white, male patriarchy" and are afraid of strong female characters. Wonder Woman flies in the face of their logic along with Ripley from the Alien franchise and many others I can't think of right now.

Last night, we watched a biography of sorts (HBO On Demand) which detailed the life of Robin Williams. It was interesting, but I hated Mork & Mindy as a kid. I still wouldn't watch it. We watched some episodes of Madam Secretary, which is one of her favorite shows.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The first season of Mork & Mindy was actually very good.
Gary wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:29 pm
The SJWs rant and rave people have been influenced by the "white, male patriarchy" and are afraid of strong female characters.
I find it interesting that nobody was ever afraid of strong female characters (or minority characters) until the Millennials needed to feel morally superior to everyone who actually contributes to society. :lol: