Supernatural Season 14

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Supernatural Season 14

Post by Gary » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:00 am

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Re: Supernatural Season 14

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Not surprising that the concept of the Big Empty will be revisited, but good to hear it confirmed. It seems like the only way to save Heaven at this point is to bring back the dead Angels. But that will probably have the side effect of releasing all the dead Demons as well-- except for Crowley, of course, who seems to be on the outs with the producers.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Gary » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:54 pm

October 11th is just around the corner. :dance:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:34 pm

Cool, Doctor Who and Supernatural in the same week.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Almost forgot! Tonight's the night! :ghost:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Well, that was a nice opener and really set things up nicely for the season, I think. We've got a lot going on.

For a long time, I've wanted to see the Men of Letters revived as a hybrid of MOL and Hunters, and it looks like I finally got my wish-- I never expected it to be staffed by refugees from an alternate universe, but what the hell. Alt-Bobby seems to be a regular now, which is kind of cool-- better than no Bobby at all-- and I'm glad Mom Winchester is back. I wonder if the alt-universe supernumeraries will be regulars as well. Jack seems to have become the third Winchester brother, which is also fine. I like him well enough. And it's good that he's been depowered, because he was just too powerful before-- I won't mind if his grace recovers a bit, but hopefully he won't return to his prior levels. On the other hand, like everybody else, I am confused about Cass. Am I forgetting something from last year? Does he have no powers at all now?

I got a kick out of the latest wannabe King of Hell who didn't even last an episode. And I loved Sam's fed-up speech that there will be no more Kings of Hell, causing a roomful of demons to flee. He is the Fonz of the supernatural world. :lol:

The big surprise was that Lucy's vessel, Nick, is still around. I can't wait to see how he fits into things. Is he going to become a resource for the new MOL, a Hunter, a casualty, re-integrated into his former life, set up with a new identity in the MOL Protection Program, or is his presence the ominous foreshadowing of Lucifer's return?

And, of course, in the background, we have Dapper Dean hosting the creepy presence of Michael who wants to "make a better world." I suppose "making Earth great again" would have been too on the nose. It will be interesting to see exactly what a better world looks like to him and how his seemingly random questioning of humans and monsters relates.

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:04 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:55 pm
Well, that was a nice opener and really set things up nicely for the season, I think. We've got a lot going on.

For a long time, I've wanted to see the Men of Letters revived as a hybrid of MOL and Hunters, and it looks like I finally got my wish-- I never expected it to be staffed by refugees from an alternate universe, but what the hell. Alt-Bobby seems to be a regular now, which is kind of cool-- better than no Bobby at all-- and I'm glad Mom Winchester is back. I wonder if the alt-universe supernumeraries will be regulars as well. Jack seems to have become the third Winchester brother, which is also fine. I like him well enough. And it's good that he's been depowered, because he was just too powerful before-- I won't mind if his grace recovers a bit, but hopefully he won't return to his prior levels. On the other hand, like everybody else, I am confused about Cass. Am I forgetting something from last year? Does he have no powers at all now?

I got a kick out of the latest wannabe King of Hell who didn't even last an episode. And I loved Sam's fed-up speech that there will be no more Kings of Hell, causing a roomful of demons to flee. He is the Fonz of the supernatural world. :lol:

The big surprise was that Lucy's vessel, Nick, is still around. I can't wait to see how he fits into things. Is he going to become a resource for the new MOL, a Hunter, a casualty, re-integrated into his former life, set up with a new identity in the MOL Protection Program, or is his presence the ominous foreshadowing of Lucifer's return?

And, of course, in the background, we have Dapper Dean hosting the creepy presence of Michael who wants to "make a better world." I suppose "making Earth great again" would have been too on the nose. It will be interesting to see exactly what a better world looks like to him and how his seemingly random questioning of humans and monsters relates.
The flurry of activity in the MOL bunker gave it a completely different appearance. To me, it was like a raucous party at Sam and Dean's house. I think Dean is similar to myself in that he does NOT like a bunch of people infiltrating his personal space -- especially making noise. :as: I would like it better if Jack had some degree of power and do hope he is able to return to his former strength. Like you, I am completely confused why Castiel seems to have zero abilities. He was not cast out of Heaven, like the rest of the angels, when the Angel Tablet was recited, so I don't see why he would have lost his wings. :conf:

Michael teaming up with the vampire, as a start, is an interesting move. It makes me wonder what his plan for a better world involves. Plus, how does Chuck play into this considering there are different dimensions. Let's not forget that one beast from the alt-U is still running around in the form of someone Sam and Dean were helping. I also found it interesting that the demons have gone from considering the Winchesters to be nuisances to being people to be outright feared.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Gary wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:04 pm
The flurry of activity in the MOL bunker gave it a completely different appearance. To me, it was like a raucous party at Sam and Dean's house. I think Dean is similar to myself in that he does NOT like a bunch of people infiltrating his personal space -- especially making noise. :as:
I think they're both like that-- they're a pair of loners who bond with others only rarely, and even at that keep their distance. But the MOL resources are a gold mine for the Hunters, especially with the original Bobby gone and their ranks depleted.
Plus, how does Chuck play into this considering there are different dimensions.
I've been wondering that since we found out that there is an alternate Lucifer and Michael and so on. I think Chuck once said that he and his sister came into existence with the universe, so he basically created the contents of the universe rather than the universe itself. Or something. I'm kind of inclined to think that every universe has a Chuck. I wonder how many there are.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:24 am

New episode... er... last night. :ghost:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Not only was this week's episode not on On Demand, but last week's episode has disappeared. :mellow:

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Gary » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:38 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 pm
Not only was this week's episode not on On Demand, but last week's episode has disappeared. :mellow:
It took an interesting twist. It seems Lucifer left quite an impact on Nick, so to speak. It makes me wonder if Lucifer is truly dead. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it's interesting that Lucifer took possession of someone named "Nick", considering the usage of "Old Nick". Michael mixing angelic grace with monster blood, making werewolves impervious to silver, yet slicing their heads off works :lol: Meanwhile, Jack pays his grandparents a visit but does not tell them who he is. Seems he's trying to connect with his family. Finally, it appears Michael has moved on from Dean. That seems a bit too quick for my taste. Then again, if Supernatural were on Netflix versus the CW the stories would be 50-minutes to just over 1-hour in length, meaning much better writing and more fleshing out of the characters and the story itself.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 pm

^^ But they'd have only half the episodes. :lol:

Well, they're already foreshadowing the return of Lucifer with Nick's instinctive hand jive (and I did notice the in-joke about his name). And Nick, rather than taking the path of becoming a Hunter or a member of the MOL in some capacity, has already gone murderous. It's in the service of finding his family's killer, but is it because of Lucifer's lingering influence or the damage done to his psyche by Lucifer, or is it something else? His old neighbor seemed pretty nervous right from the get go. Does this mean that the neighbor was the killer? Or does it mean that the person who "got to him" was Nick, after Lucifer took over? Or does it mean that Nick killed his own family, either before or after Lucifer took over? It would be just like Lucy to want a psychopath for a host. Or is there some deeper mystery going on?

And speaking of the Men of Letters, that Bunker looked mighty empty this week. What happened to that bustling beehive of activity from last episode? Where did all those interdimensional refugees go? That was a little disappointing.

I'm glad that Bobby and Mary are still around-- they kind of remind me of Mulder and Scully when they do their FBI schtick. :lol:

But Michael's plan is to create super-Vampires and super-Werewolves to subjugate Humanity? That's it? Kind of a low goal. He keeps saying that he's "almost" God, so why doesn't he just perform a few miracles and take over the world. If The Donald can do it, an Archangel can do it. It would certainly be a departure from the typical Supernatural storyline. And why did he abandon Dean so suddenly and without explanation, if Dean is supposed to be his perfect host? Is it because he's from another dimension? Was he weakened by using so much of his Grace? Or maybe he wants Nick.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Almost forgot! It's Thursday! :ghost:

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Gary » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Well, RJDiogenes got his wish at seeing a flurry of activity in the MOL Bunker. I knew it would be a matter of time before alt-Kaia reappeared, and I doubt that is the last we see of her. I am impressed at how well Sam, Dean, and Jodi can take repeated blows to the face by beings as strong as vampires :lol: Jack is going through a growth and maturation process, learning to adapt to his loss of powers by using his brains. He's come a long way, but it would be nice to see him back at full strength. I'm curious what's happening in Heaven since there are only a few angels able to "keep the lights on". I would think Michael would exploit that weakness as well.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:48 pm

No Supernatural on On Demand yet, but I'm glad they're continuing the Wayward Sisters story. I'm still disappointed that the show wasn't picked up.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 pm

I kept getting an error message trying to watch last week's episode on my Kindle, so I finally watched it today on my TV in black-and-white.

This was a good episode. I like how Jack was able to figure out how to save the girl, proving to himself that he doesn't need his Archangel powers to be useful. But that was mitigated by the small issue of coughing up blood. Did Lucifer injure him more than was previously thought? Is he really afflicted with some human illness that he should be immune to? Or is his Archangel body just degenerating without Grace to sustain it?

It was nice to see Sheriff Jodie again, and I like how the Wayward Sisters plotline is merging with the Michael plotline. I was disappointed that we didn't get to see Patience and Claire, but hopefully they are on the way. And Kaia's Evil Twin has a weapon that can hurt Michael. How is that possible? How and why did she journey to this world? Did that have anything to do with Michael abandoning Dean's body? And will that giant figure from Wayward Sisters figure into the story somehow?

Maybe we'll find out tonight, because-- new episode! :ghost:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:17 pm

So the fact that their Halloween episode came the day after Halloween made it feel a little anticlimactic or something, but it was still pretty good. I liked how Dean and the nerdy kid bonded throughout, and I also liked how the nerdy kid actually stood up to the monster, even though he was out of his league. The nerdy girl was very good, too-- kinda reminded me of Felicia Day a bit. It was definitely weird that Rage Nerd virtually disappeared from the episode after the second attack-- and his mom disappeared after that hospital scene-- since he was such a recognizable personality type. One would expect a lesson-learned scene at the end, at least. Maybe it got cut for time. I think it would be nice if TV series did Director's Cuts on their DVD sets.

Other than that, a fun romp with a little 80s parody thrown in (and that funny sequence where the kid's plight paralleled the movie as the security guards watched) and nobody died-- how many Supernatural episodes have their been where nobody died? :lol:

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Gary » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:40 pm

It wasn't a bad episode, per se, but the nerdy kid not listening to Dean's instructions is one of those typical plot points that drives me nuts. I do find it surprising that Dean is an avid fan of slasher ghost horror movies. I don't recall if we've seen that side of him before. It does appear there are new episodes for the next two weeks and then the post-Thanksgiving break.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 pm

We've seen that side of him before a couple of times. Like remember that black-and-white episode that was an homage of the old Universal movies? And, of course, there's Scooby-Doo. :lol:

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Gary » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:15 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 pm
We've seen that side of him before a couple of times. Like remember that black-and-white episode that was an homage of the old Universal movies? And, of course, there's Scooby-Doo. :lol:
I forgot about the black and white homage. I was thinking of Scoobynatural during this year's Halloween episode when Dean said Fred's traps never work :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Oh, I missed that line.

If Kaia survives the season, I wonder if Dean will ask her if she can also cross over to the Scoobyverse. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:06 pm

New episode tonight! :ghost:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:14 pm

This was a good episode with some good character moments and an interesting mystery where things were not as they seemed, thanks to Michael. Maggie, the new Hunter from the other universe who was resurrected by Lucifer, went after what seemed to be a Ghoul, but turned out to be something else entirely-- she was captured and Sam and Dean went to the rescue, as did Mary and Bobby on their own.

Maggie was actually barely in it, spending most of her couple of scenes dangling from her toes. The guest character had more screen time and was of a very familiar and unpleasant type, but she got to receive some advice from Dean on how to deal with a less-than-ideal father, with the implication that there might be a reconciliation.

The Ghoul turned out to be the return of the Djinn from a few seasons ago, now super-sized thanks to Michael's plot to take over the world or reduce the world to chaos or whatever he's trying to do. There was a very interesting moment when the Djinn went into Dean's head to seize his nightmares, but recoiled in pain or terror-- was it because of everything that Dean has been through (e.g. thirty years in Hell) or because of something Michael left behind? Or because Michael is still in there?

But the main development in this episode was with Mary and Bobby. Bobby's nightmare was his dead son from the alternate universe, which he was loathe to share with Mary, and this was keeping them apart. But by the end of the episode their coupledom is official and they are off on sabbatical to a remote cabin (belonging to Sheriff Jodie or Sheriff Donna, I forget which) while Bobby recovers and they work on their relationship. I would have much preferred that Mary become a regular part of the team, like Cass or Jack, but I can live with her showing up only occasionally-- as long as they don't kill her off!

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Gary » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:08 pm

The real twist introduced with Michael coming to the SN universe is his meddling with the various monsters' abilities. He's modified vampires, werewolves, and now Jinn. The Hunters have become the hunted who must now be cognizant of traps.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Yeah, the souped-up monsters and the traps are an interesting twist. I wonder if that will be permanent, or if they will go back to normal when Michael is defeated.