The Orville - Season Two -- SPOILERS

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Re: The Orville - Season Two -- SPOILERS

Post by scottydog » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:17 pm

^^ That would be a great episode: Isaac's homeworld deciding to exterminate the Union and Ed Mercer somehow convincing them not to.

Do you suppose they'll find a way to allow the actor who plays Isaac to always appear as human, even on the bridge? Not sure they have the technology to allow him to do that outside the simulator. Voyager found a way to allow the Doctor to roam around the ship outside of sickbay.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 pm

scottydog wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:17 pm
^^ That would be a great episode: Isaac's homeworld deciding to exterminate the Union and Ed Mercer somehow convincing them not to.
I have a hunch that we're going to see something just like that. Maybe as a cliffhanger.
Do you suppose they'll find a way to allow the actor who plays Isaac to always appear as human, even on the bridge? Not sure they have the technology to allow him to do that outside the simulator. Voyager found a way to allow the Doctor to roam around the ship outside of sickbay.
I hope they don't go that far, because I love Isaac's robot look. But it will be nice to see him in his human form with Claire on the holodeck from time to time. I also think it was a mistake to let the Doctor out of sickbay on Voyager.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:41 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 pm
scottydog wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:17 pm
I have a hunch that we're going to see something just like that. Maybe as a cliffhanger.
If Isaac's homeworld tries to eradicate humans, then finally we'll see some evidence that they are a "racist" society, which is how they're described in season 1, episode 1.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:16 pm

To them it may be no different than exterminating cockroaches or treating an infection.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:02 pm

Apparently they're skipping this week. No new episode until the 14th :sob:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:27 pm

Yeah, we need two weeks to recover from Claire and Isaac's torrid affair. Whew!

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:50 am

What do y'all think of this guy's reviews of The Orville and ST:D? I think he's pretty good -- It's right here.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 pm

He's pretty good. I've watched his channel a few times. The channels that I subscribe to (for Orville reviews) are this dude and this dudette.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 pm

^^ Thanks for these recommendations. They both offer pretty good analyses :thumbsup:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Yeah, they're both fun to listen to. They do other stuff besides Orville, too.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:51 am

I wonder how they get access to clips from the show? You'd think that would be hard to do.

Have any of you read anything about the ratings this season? I heard that early episodes were down from last year -- hopefully they've bumped up again.

Jim Gamma
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 pm

That was... an interesting episode, I guess. The astrology one for us this week, and yes, advanced aliens believing in myths would certainly be believable. That said... really? Bortus and Kelly got let go after shooting up a concentration camp? Even if they hadn't just "proved" the myth, that's worth some serious repercussions.

Also, I hope none of those satellites are outside the orbit of the solar sail, otherwise the aliens will find out pretty damn quick that it ain't a star. It looked like they were almost in the atmosphere...

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm

^^ There were a few things that didn't hang together in this one. And they all could have been handled with a minor re-write.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:51 am
I wonder how they get access to clips from the show? You'd think that would be hard to do.
I'm assuming video capture software. I'm told there are a few good freeware programs, but I haven't played with them myself yet.
Have any of you read anything about the ratings this season? I heard that early episodes were down from last year -- hopefully they've bumped up again.
The first episode was up from last season's average, but most episodes have been down. It seems to be fairly stable in the three millions, though, which is about what Enterprise had fifteen years ago. Given that lower ratings are more tolerated these days, plus Fox owns the show, plus there's that massive tax break for season three, I'm fairly optimistic for renewal.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Jim Gamma wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 pm
That said... really? Bortus and Kelly got let go after shooting up a concentration camp?
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. Unless they were just using stun-guns.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm
It seems to be fairly stable in the three millions, though, which is about what Enterprise had fifteen years ago. Given that lower ratings are more tolerated these days, plus Fox owns the show, plus there's that massive tax break for season three, I'm fairly optimistic for renewal.
I hope you're right. :thumbsup:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:38 pm

New episode tonight! :bounce:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Mood whiplash in this one. It started off rather soap opera-ish with various relationship melodramas, then turned pretty dark with a suspected murder. I was surprised they went with a TOS "Court Martial" twist at the end. I am impressed that this show can go with a dark ending without laying it on too thick. It's a balance that many series can't pull off lately.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Well that was a good episode. Some very good drama and good tension. They sure are getting a lot of mileage out of examining Moclan culture.

Didn't expect Kelly and Cassius to break up so soon. Will Ed and Kelly get together again? I say the odds are pretty darn good.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 pm
I am impressed that this show can go with a dark ending without laying it on too thick. It's a balance that many series can't pull off lately.
You're 100% right.

Jim Gamma
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:01 pm

The Isaac/Claire 'ship for us in the UK this week. That was... interesting, not quite sure what to make of it. I'm glad their equipment is well protected from water, though! :p

So we're now 1 week behind instead of 2. Wonder if they'll skip a week soon in the UK to get us back to 2 weeks behind...

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 pm

This was another great episode-- and the most Trek-like episode yet. There were a couple of humorous moments (the "no missile" banter between Ed and Kelly and the "weirdest thing that ever happened" banter between Talla and the boys), but it was mostly serious drama and character interactions.

There were various echoes of Star Trek throughout, from "The Outcast" to "Court Martial," but always with a unique spin. The Moclans have developed into a living metaphor for ideology; and Klyden, after taking a turn for the sympathetic in his last appearance, reached a new low. The scene at the end when he and Bortus faced each other and parted without speaking was grim and doesn't bode well for their future. I have a feeling that the next Bortus-centric episode will involve a custody battle. I wonder what weaponry is involved in that kind of dispute.

The Moclan engineer played an interesting part. He was the stand-in for anybody who ever had to hide something about themselves to fit in with a conservative culture, but he was not a self-sacrificing martyr. He would have let Klyden fry for a murder that never happened, and he did not give Talla a break at the end, accusing her of betrayal. Talla was also really good in this one. So far, she hadn't impressed me as a good replacement for Alara, but here she had a lot of good stuff going on, from her attraction to the Moclan, to her anger at his captain, to her determination to handle the investigation, to her sticking to her ethics, to her tears at the end. She's proven herself to be a worthy part of the weirdest crew in space.

The final scene of the Moclan engineer at the mercy of a merciless court was the most unsettling ending they've had yet. Luckily, Orville has shown a tendency to follow up on plots, so this may not be the last we see of him. Maybe we'll even be seeing some developments in Moclan culture. It seems odd that Bortus has had relationships with both a former female and a heterosexual-- perhaps these deviations are not as rare as we're led to believe.

Kelly's breakup with the teacher guy was kind of anticlimactic. I was kind of expecting him to be a second Krill mole or something-- which is still possible, and Kelly's unexpected move threw off his plans.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 pm
Mood whiplash in this one. It started off rather soap opera-ish with various relationship melodramas, then turned pretty dark with a suspected murder. I was surprised they went with a TOS "Court Martial" twist at the end. I am impressed that this show can go with a dark ending without laying it on too thick. It's a balance that many series can't pull off lately.
When they go dark, they've earned it. They're not just trying to impress us with how grim they are.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Will Ed and Kelly get together again? I say the odds are pretty darn good.
I don't know about that. I think they will only get together if Seth has enough advance warning about when the series will end.
Jim Gamma wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:01 pm
The Isaac/Claire 'ship for us in the UK this week. That was... interesting, not quite sure what to make of it. I'm glad their equipment is well protected from water, though! :p
It was probably holographic. :D

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:38 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 pm
There were a couple of humorous moments (the "no missile" banter between Ed and Kelly and the "weirdest thing that ever happened" banter between Talla and the boys),
Those were laugh-out-loud moments :lol: I almost did a spit-take about Moclans eating the tooth of their former boyfriends :veryhappy:

Jim Gamma, I didn't realize the UK was not on the same schedule as the US. Hopefully you'll sync up with us soon.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:01 am

I forgot about the tooth thing. The best part was Gordon figuring it out. :lol: And unless the Moclans grow teeth like sharks, that must cut down on promiscuity. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 pm

I just encountered a rumor that Alara will return sometime this season. Just for a guest appearance, but still....

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:02 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 pm
I just encountered a rumor that Alara will return sometime this season. Just for a guest appearance, but still....
That will be cool, but it will only remind us how much better she is than Talla. :vixen:

Jim Gamma
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Won't be able to watch until Saturday as I'm out tomorrow night. I'm a little nervous about the "dark" comments above... But nothing will stop me watching it.

I'll probably avoid the thread next week, I want to watch the two-parter without spoilers. :D

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:07 pm

New episode tonight, yes? :unsure: