Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Post by RJDiogenes »

I say with relief that this episode did not give us another drop in quality, and in fact held a few interesting plot developments and possibly even some thematic developments.

We are treated to another flashback to the time of the Romulan Diaspora (and presumably this will a component of every chapter), this time set in a warrior nunnery on a refugee world where Picard has bonded with both the nuns and an orphan boy. It will turn out that after he left Starfleet, Picard never returned to these people, hurting them all, especially the boy, with his abandonment. It becomes clear now, if it wasn't before, that his departure from Starfleet broke Picard to the core and he has spent the last fifteen years in a morbid depression, retreating from the world. He abandoned Starfleet, abandoned the Romulans, abandoned Raffi, abandoned the nuns and Sword Boy, and very likely others. But these things are just really worldly manifestations of the true betrayal-- he abandoned his principles. So here we have a show where Starfleet and the Federation, like our real society, have traded in their liberal values for base meanness and Picard has similarly lost his principles to hopelessness. With his comment about the perfect being the enemy of the good, he is referencing the intolerance and fundamentalism of the contemporary world-- and when he tells Raffi that he may never pass this way again, he tells us that the clock is ticking to make things right.

The character work in this episode is definitely a step up. Rios, with his multiple holographic avatars, is much more a Trek character now than the cigar-chomping, central-casting ruffian of his debut. Raffi is also more appealing without her trappings of Millennialism and self pity. Agnes was written as almost a completely different character, but I suppose this is the first time we've really seen her off the clock-- the only other time she was seen outside her lab was having just had a near-death experience. Unfortunately the new addition to the crew, with his devotional life and ninja sword, seems more suited to AD&D than Trek, but perhaps he will develop as well.

Picard is a man awakening from a coma and coming to terms with regrets, but who has not quite yet learned anything. He berates himself for his abandonment of Raffi and Sword Boy, but has done nothing to make amends or shown any hint that he intends to. Instead he is focused on a quest for the children of his dead comrade. And with his newfound purpose comes a self-righteousness that is almost a parody of the old Picard. His tearing down of the Romulans Only sign was a rookie error from a man once known for his diplomacy, and especially hypocritical from someone who showed no moral objection to a gender-exclusive warrior guild. Another metaphor for the Millennial Age?

And then we have the return of an old favorite character, and this time it's not a dream. Apparently a member of the Fenris Rangers (an odd name-- I wonder if the wolf reference is supposed to be a link to Romulus and Remus, but it comes from a completely different mythology), Seven of Nine saves Picard's ass at the last nanosecond, at the cost of her own off-the-grid ship, and then collapses to the deck after a sassy beam in. Best cliffhanger yet. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ Very good synopsis and analysis. I could understand Picard's tearing down of the Romulans Only sign. He despises tribalism in all its forms and he wants to get everyone's attention, if only to explain what happened, and to apologize. What he doesn't do is describe his plan to make things right -- an odd omission.

I suspect Sword Boy will benefit from Picard's mentorship and will eventually transform into an interesting, complex heroic character.

Overall, I'm really impressed with this series. Patrick Stewart still has a powerful screen presence, and TPTB have surrounded him with many multi-textured supporting characters.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I can understand his wanting to tear down the sign, but not his suicidal approach-- especially after being warned that he was in danger while on the surface. The young Picard would have attacked the reason for the sign's existence, and he would have done it with persuasive words.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:28 pm
The young Picard would have attacked the reason for the sign's existence, and he would have done it with persuasive words.
Maybe Old Picard realizes he needs high ratings to survive and thus does the bold, dramatic thing rather than the dull, diplomatic thing.

His character has changed a bit. He's still wise and articulate. But he's clearly wounded, which could (along with his old age) explain why he doesn't think through his actions as much as he should.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 pm
Maybe Old Picard realizes he needs high ratings to survive and thus does the bold, dramatic thing rather than the dull, diplomatic thing.
"When I was a young man, I was in syndication and I could do no wrong. Now I'm old and streaming and I don't know what's right anymore."
His character has changed a bit. He's still wise and articulate. But he's clearly wounded, which could (along with his old age) explain why he doesn't think through his actions as much as he should.
He's definitely damaged. I hope he gets his mojo back before all this is over.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:56 pm
That would be a great way for the series to end. Picard deserves to die a happy, fulfilled man.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's what I'm hoping for: A happy ending for Picard, unlike what they did to Spock, and a nice epilogue for Star Trek.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 pm
"When I was a young man, I was in syndication and I could do no wrong. Now I'm old and streaming and I don't know what's right anymore."
:lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
He might be on that path. In the pilot he lamented that he had basically been waiting to die while living at the winery.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Here's what we learned this week: Picard is getting his sense of humor back, Rios is not a hologram, Seven has become a latter-day Maquis equivalent, Agnes loved Maddox but was willing to kill him for some mysterious greater good, Elfwich is the naive innocent comedy relief of the team when he's not beheading people, and Raffi is a hypocrite.

The episode itself was not bad. It was, in a way, a callback to all those classic Treks where the landing party dressed up like the locals to fit in and botched it. I loved Picard's scenery-chewing as an over-the-top, eye-patched Frenchman, and the pimped-out Rios was pretty funny, too. Agnes's first triggering of the EMH with her panic attack was pretty funny-- the second time was pretty disturbing.

And Seven of Nine is now the Lone Ranger or Zorro of the unincorporated spaceways. Not exactly the future I would have preferred for her-- and where is Janeway during all this?-- but not everybody becomes an Admiral. Icheb's fate strikes me as the gratuitous death of a known character for no purpose, since it wasn't really necessary for Seven to become a champion of ex drones-- just necessary for her to wreak merciless vengeance on the villainess, which also seemed kind of a throwaway plot. Her conversation with Picard about helping people who have no one else to help them would have been enough to establish her hero cred. But, since she gave Picard her calling card, it seems likely she will return by season's end.

I got a kick out of Rios and Raffi chatting about Seven and Picard. "The ex-Borg drone from the Delta Quadrant who is now a Fenris Ranger. Oh, and I forgot Picard was a Borg." :lol:

And Raffi. She complained about Picard not being more sociable, but she abandoned her family even longer ago-- abandoned them to help Picard with the Romulan evacuation. Because she believes there was some conspiracy behind the Synth attack on Mars. Unfortunately, her son is even less forgiving than she is. I wonder if Picard knows about the family.

Poor Maddox. The Picard Brigade didn't quite reach him in time-- just enough time for him to drop a few clues, and say something that made his girlfriend let him die. Ouch. What did Commodore Oh do to Agnes, anyway? Mind meld with her? Lie to her. Or tell her an awful truth that made her betray her love and her morality? I'm really tired of conspiracy stories. And how does she think that she's going to cover up this murder? Deactivating the EMH will not wipe its memory.

But all in all not a bad episode, if not outstanding. A nice adventure in the lawless frontier, where Pike dreamed of lavish harems and characters like Harry Mudd make a living smuggling contraband. Plenty of strong characterization and humor, if a bit much blood. There were lots of nice nods to continuity from Voyager and Deep Space Nine, which will hopefully continue (along with more from TNG). And our gang now knows how to reach the next level of the game: The Artifact.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I'll watch this episode soon and then read your analysis.
Attachments
happy Picard.jpeg
happy Picard.jpeg (4.43 KiB) Viewed 771 times
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Hurry up! :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 pm
Hurry up! :lol:
You can't rush a souffle :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:46 am
There were lots of nice nods to continuity from Voyager and Deep Space Nine, which will hopefully continue (along with more from TNG).
Speaking of continuity, at the 5-minute mark, our villainess offers Bruce Maddox some tranya to drink. You may recall that tranya is first introduced in The Original Series when the baby-ish alien Balok serves it to Captain Kirk and members of his crew in the episode The Corbomite Maneuver.

Overall, another solid episode. I can't tell you how much more I'm enjoying ST: Picard compared to ST: Discovery. The latter is okay but not 1/10th as intelligently written and executed. ST: Picard actually takes the time to develop characters and doesn't worship at the altar of nonstop action.

I'm actually okay with the career & life arc of Seven of Nine. She's saving people. And I loved the end-of-episode exchange between Picard and Seven about reacquiring their humanity after being Borgified. Does Picard have any remaining Borg parts in him?

I gotta say that I saw Agnes's dark side coming. We'll find out why she had to kill Maddox, and you're right, the EMH was witness to what was happening -- yet he seemed indifferent to it. Are these advanced EMH's so limited and unidimensional? I can't imagine Voyager's EMH doctor (Robert Picardo) ignoring a murder in progress.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:57 am
You can't rush a souffle :lol:
:lol:
Speaking of continuity, at the 5-minute mark, our villainess offers Bruce Maddox some tranya to drink. You may recall that tranya is first introduced in The Original Series when the baby-ish alien Balok serves it to Captain Kirk and members of his crew in the episode The Corbomite Maneuver.
Good catch. Apparently Quark's Bar has also been franchised to Freecloud, which I missed. I wonder if somebody on the Internet has compiled a list of Easter eggs in this episode.
I'm actually okay with the career & life arc of Seven of Nine. She's saving people. And I loved the end-of-episode exchange between Picard and Seven about reacquiring their humanity after being Borgified. Does Picard have any remaining Borg parts in him?
No parts that I know of, but we saw in First Contact that he still has a psychic connection to the Collective.
I gotta say that I saw Agnes's dark side coming. We'll find out why she had to kill Maddox, and you're right, the EMH was witness to what was happening -- yet he seemed indifferent to it. Are these advanced EMH's so limited and unidimensional? I can't imagine Voyager's EMH doctor (Robert Picardo) ignoring a murder in progress.
I don't think he was indifferent, since she deactivated him pretty quickly. As far as I'm concerned, until shown otherwise, all the holograms are sentient. Rios' multiple holographic selves are the thing that makes him my favorite of the new characters and the one uniquely Trekkian character.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:16 pm
Rios' multiple holographic selves are the thing that makes him my favorite of the new characters and the one uniquely Trekkian character.
I like him and his cadre of role-playing holographic helpers, too. I wish I had a dozen scottydogs to run errands, clean house, buy chocolate, and do work tasks that I dislike. Not to mention scottydogs who can write more books and articles on heroes, too.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think if you set up a thousand RJD holograms with a thousand typewriters, they would eventually recreate the works of Shakespeare.