Game Remakes

Do you love Questionable Content? Are you a KOL fanatic? Which are your favorite Facebook games? Which are your favorite RPGs or comic blogs?

Moderator: Unicron

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Game Remakes

Post by Unicron »

How often do you buy remakes/special editions of games? I recently got the "Express" version of Battleship, which isn't all that similar to the traditional board game. Your ships form a line, and most of them have to rotate to the front to attack. You can only target the first two ships in the enemy line (unless you're using the submarine), and each ship has its own unique special abilities. You attack by rolling a set of dice, with the number and results varying according to what ships you're attacking with. The dice have a generic shot and an icon for each ship class, and when that ship comes up it will count as a hit on that target, so long as it's a legal target.
:knight:

I move in silence with each step taken, snow falling round me like angels in flight.
Far in the distance is my wish under moonlight.

On my way home, I remember only good days.
On my way home, I remember all the best days.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Game Remakes

Post by RJDiogenes »

I really don't buy games much, except as gifts. I've gotten several special-edition Monopolies for people. I got my brother the Red Sox one a while back.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Not sure I've ever bought a "remake". I have bought sequels- especially for the Age of Empires series though.
Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

I think they make too many "special edition" versions of certain games nowadays. :p It's cute when you do it a few times, but after that it gets old and the game itself doesn't change.

I move in silence with each step taken, snow falling round me like angels in flight.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I just wish someone would come out with a new RTS game. I love Age of Empires but something new would be nice.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I liked the old Infocom games. It's a shame they don't make stuff like that anymore (not that I would have time :(). But who would bother with text adventures in the age of 3D graphics?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I think I remember playing one of those on a friend's old Apple IIe as a child. They were fun.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I love them. I have the complete collection on CD.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

The one I remember, I think had something to do with exploring some pyramids.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Hmm. That may have been one of the Zork titles. Or it may have been something from a different company. There were a few other text adventures around in those days. I had one that was based on Rendezvous With Rama and one based on The Robots Of Dawn (in the latter, the solution to the mystery changed at random, so you could do it multiple times).

Unicron
Censor
Censor

Post by Unicron »

One of the fun things about older games was more limited game engines. So that you could die stupidly and hilariously (* coughSierracough * :D), or the games would let do you do certain dubious things but not others. One of the game demos I used to have was for the old Deja Vu game, which was a first person semi-RPG. You were an amnesiac detective who had to solve the mystery, and the game wouldn't let you do certain stupid things like eating your wallet. It would however let you eat bullets from your gun, or even commit suicide with said gun.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Infocom was actually great about that. They often had rather droll responses to unusual actions. :D