2021 Politics: The New Era

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: 2021 Politics: The New Era

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yes, it's very alarmist, because it's purpose is fundraising, and it has its facts wrong. Both of the authors are writing on behalf of a Left-Wing PAC and they state that Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats blocked the Republicans from electing their own president this year. In fact, almost no Republicans supported the objections and they were quickly shot down (some were not even debated because no complementary objections were raised in the Senate). Other issues that they raise at the State level, such as gerrymandering and such, can be a problem, but that's always been the case.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

I hope you're right. I'm curious how many Republicans in the US believe that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Elected officials? Very few. Most who say so publicly, or say nothing, are either trying to keep their jobs or are afraid for their families. In the general population it's a larger percentage, because most people just go along with the groupthink of their peers. Although even at that, a lot of them just go along with it because they think the ends justify the means.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:12 pm
Although even at that, a lot of them just go along with it because they think the ends justify the means.
Amazing that we live in an era when preserving one's ideology is more important than preserving our democracy :no:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

People are basically conformists, as most primates are. That's why one of the most important things to do is offer them more options.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

There's also a visceral appeal of a conspiracy theory, like the election being stolen. You get to feel like one of the special someones who see through the conspiracy while the rest of the "sheeple" go alone. But they couldn't fool you! All those other people, but not you! Plus you get to play revolutionary fighting to regain your country from the unwashed masses.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yep, it's good to feel special-- especially when you're more special than those so-called "experts." :D

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

A commentary I found on the Democratic Underground site this morning.
I think commemorating it like it's a defining event in American history is a willful distortion of what's important in the American story and a poor choice of how we choose to see the world.

Culturally we celebrate the things that define us. The gratitude that goes to those who served the nation (Veterans Day, Memorial Day), the gathering together of family (Christmas, Thanksgiving), the hope of the new year, our freedom and independence as a people (4th of July, Juneteenth). Even the non holidays say something about us, about who we choose to be as a people: Constitution Day (September 17th), Flag Day (June 14th), Mother's Day, Father's Day.

So 20 years after the fact, as we continue to to impress upon children, who have no recollection of the terror attacks, the unique defining characteristic of 9/11 in American identity, what are we telling them? We're telling them that along with gratitude, family, freedom, democracy, and hope... another core American value is being attacked, being victimized, being "hated for our freedoms."

This seems to feed into the culture of resentment that, frankly, has taken far too big a space in American culture in the past few years.

And I mean no disrespect to the lives that were lost. They should be remembered. I'm not saying forget history; I'm saying don't disproportionately wallow in the pain of a loss. All the other big days on our calendar are about "wins." MLK Day is about commemorating the triumph and advancement of the cause of civil rights; about a man's contributions, not a man's murder. Veterans Day began as the marker for the end of a war we won. Now it's about honoring all who ever wore the nation's uniform.

A generation after Pearl Harbor there weren't displays and flourishes about December 7th. The days we marked and remembered were VJ Day and VE Day. There were wreath layings in Honolulu, but the speeches were always about the positive values of strength and preparedness and gratitude for America's unique place and mission in the world. A generation ago there was little controversy about marking Columbus Day. We saw the European discovery of America as a win for us. But as our national sensibilities have shifted, as our awareness of the full story of what the Columbian Exchange meant in human history, we have naturally moved away from celebrating Columbus Day. And we don't concentrate our celebrations now on the near genocide of native peoples and indigenous American cultures. We feel it's more natural to "take the win" and instead focus on honoring the critical contributions of indigenous people and cultures to the American story.

When we came to see the connection of the hemispheres as a "loss," we shifted our focus to what was positive and hopeful. And that's how it should be. That's what we should strive to be as a nation and its people. We don't forget the past, we don't forget the history. On Earth Day, we do make note of pollution and climate change, but the theme of the day is recycling. On Veterans Day, we do give tribute to the sacrifices, but the theme of the day is the freedom and rights those sacrifices secured.

But where is the transformation of September 11th? As Armistice Day was converted to Veterans Day, we could transmogrify to celebrate "First Responders Day". Instead what I see is efforts to permanently make 9/11 about the death and destruction of that terrible day, an American Remembrance Day. I don't think that's psychologically healthy; I don't think that's sociologically healthy. Defining our culture by our losses (as we specifically do not when we rebrand tragedies into celebrations as with Indigenous Peoples' Day or Easter), leads us down a rabbit hole towards seeing ourselves as victims.

This distorts history. The last 20 years of American, no global, history are already defined by America's unhealthy overreaction to 9/11. A significant event that cost thousands of lives quickly escalated into an unnecessary war, an orgy of torture and official acts of criminality, a ineffective foreign policy, and literally millions of more unnecessary deaths. Our obsession with 9/11 doesn't create, but it feeds into a racist view of an already overly violent corner of the world. It's not good for us and yet it's what we're choosing to be as a people when we treat those 3,000 deaths as different and as more defining than all the other deaths that have occurred since.

For the sake of understanding of the past and for the sake of working towards a more positive future, I think we need to quit reveling in the pain and loss of September 11, 2001.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:21 pm
A commentary I found on the Democratic Underground site this morning.
This is very good, and I agree completely. Makes me wonder how we would have responded differently to 9/11 if Al Gore had rightfully become president in 2000.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Stop the steal! :lol:

Actually, December 7th is a national remembrance day and note is made of it even today, 80 years later, with speeches and ceremonies or even just news items in papers and on cable news-- and I'm sure greater note was made of it in the first decades following. And I wouldn't exactly call responding to the worst attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor-- and the worst attack on civilians-- as unnecessary or an over-reaction. People will always, hopefully, commemorate tragedies and losses, whether it's lighting a candle for a lost loved one or holding a vigil on the anniversary of a mass shooting or having a remembrance of a natural disaster. Remembering September 11th isn't remembering the start of a war-- the US gave the enemy a chance to avoid war-- it's remembering an attack and its victims and its heroes.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Today is California's recall election- though people have been voting for a month. Most of the polls look good for Newsom so most are expecting him to pull through- apparently including his closest opponent, Larry Elder, who's already conceding defeat and claiming fraud. :lol: :wtf:
However there could be a hitch here. Newsom is doing well in the polls, but his increase is relatively recent. But he wasn't doing well as recently as August 29th, and a lot of voting had already taken place. It's possible for Elder to pull off a surprise win on just "baked in" voting. Pollsters might be taking already voted people into account, but it is something to keep in mind.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

^^ Yes, I've been watching this recall election from afar. Ironic that Larry Elder, a Black guy, is Trump-light :lol: Like many Republicans, he appears to be dangerous, anti-science, foolish, and ignorant.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^And it gets even worse as this could have national implications. He's already pledged to replace Senator Feinstein (should she die or retire) with a Republican. That would put the Senate back in Republican hands and allow McConnell to stonewall any Supreme Court nominees should Justice Breyer retire (which he is teasing people with).
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

^Glad to see that the recall failed. I wonder if Larry Elder has any kind of future in California.

As is this article about the worldwide spread of Trumpist tactics. :no:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

The good news is that California dodged a bullet. :tomato:
The bad news I didn't become Governor.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:19 pm
I wonder if Larry Elder has any kind of future in California.
Hopefully not. Elder lost by a pretty big margin- possibly bigger than even the most liberal polls were predicting.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

So this November, my state of Virginia is holding a gubernatorial election.

The Republican candidate is, of course, a young Trumpist. All his TV ads are focused on the democratic candidate wanting to "defund the police", which is a simply not true. The basis for the lie resides in the fact that the democratic candidate once donated money to a pro-choice group that has a website stating that it supports defunding the police. Arghh. It could be a close election.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Democrats have an amazing ability to shoot themselves in the foot like that. Hopefully the GOP candidate will be like Elder and be so extreme that he will turn people off.
If it's this race you refer to, it's looking tight but even the right-leaning Trafalgar group with showing McAuliffe ahead.
scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:32 pm
If it's this race you refer to, it's looking tight but even the right-leaning Trafalgar group with showing McAuliffe ahead.
Yep, it's McAuliffe versus Youngkin, whom The Wife and I call 'Trumpkin' :lol: