2019 Politics- Life in Trump World

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Re: 2019 Politics- Life in Trump World

Post by Gary » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Mass shooting in New Zealand - Announcement within hours, "We're going to change our gun laws."
Mass shooting in the US - Announcement within hours, "It's too soon to talk about changing the gun laws."
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:45 pm

We'll see what they actually do, though.

As much as I've been enamored of Bernie the last couple of years, I've found myself leaning toward Cory Booker in the current crop of Democratic candidates. This week, there was an article about him dating Rosario Dawson. Aside from being bitterly jealous, it got me thinking about the chances of an unmarried candidate in the current political climate, where much is usually made of the candidate's family life (The Donald aside, of course). As far as I can remember, there's only been one unmarried president in American history so far, so if he were to win we'd have yet another presidency of historic note.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm not yet overly excited by any of the candidates. I had been leaning towards Kamala Harris, but as of late I have found her to be a little too eager to jump onto any passing bandwagon. People call on Al Franken to resign- she calls on him to resign. Governor Newsom declares a moratorium on the death penalty- she calls for a moratorium on the death penalty. She seems to be chasing trends more than actual leadership.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:30 pm

I was a bit disappointed in Beto O'Rourke. He apparently has been joking about how his wife handles most of the family stuff while he is busy being a senator and campaigning and stuff and some PC busybodies complained and he fell all over himself apologizing. I think a president needs more backbone than that. He was complimenting her. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:36 pm

^There's also some bizarre writings from his youth that will likely come back to haunt him.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Oh, yeah, I heard about that. I didn't see anything too bad there. Nothing you wouldn't expect from an angsty teenager. Of course, I'm sure there's plenty there for crusaders to crusade about.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:10 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:45 pm
We'll see what they actually do, though.
Looks like things are happening. New Zealand's Prime Minister announces ban on all assault rifles following massacre under strong gun laws
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 pm

^Something we should do here- but probably won't.

Meanwhile here's a rundown on who's running in 2020.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Yeah, I saw that. Imagine my surprise. I hope it sticks.
Lupine wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 pm
Meanwhile here's a rundown on who's running in 2020.
"Speaking of people who don't know how to use a comb." :lol: No wonder I like him.

But poor Cory Booker is not doing so well in the polls so far.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:06 pm

^It's early yet. We'll see what the field looks like once people start dropping out.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Yeah, hopefully he'll get to participate in a debate or something to raise his profile.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:02 pm

And the Mueller Report is in! :unsure:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:29 am

Lupine wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:02 pm
And the Mueller Report is in! :unsure:
There has been speculation that rumors of the Report nearing completion is why President Trump has been having a rash of meltdowns since last weekend. The next few weeks are going to be interesting, especially since economic signs are pointing to a recession.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Gary wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:29 am
There has been speculation that rumors of the Report nearing completion is why President Trump has been having a rash of meltdowns since last weekend. The next few weeks are going to be interesting
If the report actually amounts to anything. The lack of any new indictments is not a good sign.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:58 pm

Lupine wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:55 pm
Gary wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:29 am
There has been speculation that rumors of the Report nearing completion is why President Trump has been having a rash of meltdowns since last weekend. The next few weeks are going to be interesting
If the report actually amounts to anything. The lack of any new indictments is not a good sign.
I thought there were still several sealed indictments yet to be opened.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:30 pm

^I heard talk about that but other sources stated that no further indictments were coming.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Would there be indictments related to the Russian investigation itself, or would that be left to Congress? All of the indictments so far were collateral damage that came up while he was poking around.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:10 pm

It's possible that with all the stonewalling that he couldn't find anything to run with. Regardless Trump supporters are already calling this a victory for him. Congress can still investigate but that will look quite partisan. Trump will survive this and since the political landscape hasn't changed much there's more than an OK chance he'll win reelection.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 pm

And it's being reported that Mueller found now evidence of collusion (how I'm not quite sure as Trump was being rather obvious about it). It will be interesting how he explains the infamous Trump Tower meeting, but in the end this pretty much guarantees Trump's reelection.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Lupine wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:10 pm
It's possible that with all the stonewalling that he couldn't find anything to run with. Regardless Trump supporters are already calling this a victory for him. Congress can still investigate but that will look quite partisan. Trump will survive this and since the political landscape hasn't changed much there's more than an OK chance he'll win reelection.
I would be surprised if he wins reelection because: economic indicators are not looking good; his core group and also Independents are figuring out they got shafted on tax cuts; the areas where jobs were promised are getting screwed; the continued trade war; foreign policy is a mess; the recent Boeing crashes are shedding light on too many acting Secretaries -- the list goes on. Meanwhile, New York State authorities are directing attention to his business dealings along with his children's. He could be looking at state level indictments waiting for him the moment he leaves office. The near future is not looking good for him in a political sense.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:37 pm

But his approval ratings have stayed relatively steady +/- 40% and his core base still supports him fanatically. Couple that with the fact that his Democratic challenger will be the embodiment of pure evil will ease his way back into the White House.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:19 pm

The Left will figure out some way to get him re-elected. It looks like they want to make Reparations a campaign issue, which will probably be enough to do it. Forget the Russians. I think the Democrats are colluding with the Republicans. :lol:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:46 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:19 pm
The Left will figure out some way to get him re-elected. It looks like they want to make Reparations a campaign issue, which will probably be enough to do it. Forget the Russians. I think the Democrats are colluding with the Republicans. :lol:
I get so fed up the the reparations argument. There's an old saying, "A scab won't heal if you keep picking at it." If the economy starts tanking and his idiotic pick of Stephen Moore for the Federal Reserve makes it past Senate confirmation, then I think his goose will be cooked. Voters will revolt in bad economic conditions regardless of the die hard core base.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Gary wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:46 pm
There's an old saying, "A scab won't heal if you keep picking at it."
That's exactly it. But picking at it is the point. There are people whose royalties and ad clicks and groupies depend on escalating social conflicts, and they're the ones who keep these things in play. That's how moronic ideas like Cultural Appropriation get out there.
If the economy starts tanking and his idiotic pick of Stephen Moore for the Federal Reserve makes it past Senate confirmation, then I think his goose will be cooked. Voters will revolt in bad economic conditions regardless of the die hard core base.
That's true, too. The economy is a major motivator. Looks like I'll have to sacrifice early retirement for the good of the country. :lol:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:20 am

Looks like the 2020 election will be centered around health care.