2013 Politics

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: 2013 Politics

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, then they'd only be millionaires. I don't think anything so drastic is necessary. Better regulation of Wall Street is definitely necessary. And better distribution of tax liability. If we live in an economy that can support paying millions of dollars to ball players, we can pay off the debt.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:Yeah, then they'd only be millionaires. I don't think anything so drastic is necessary. Better regulation of Wall Street is definitely necessary. And better distribution of tax liability. If we live in an economy that can support paying millions of dollars to ball players, we can pay off the debt.
Yeah, I agree to a point. The big problem is the Government and its continual promises of freebies to the Sheeple. Want to get re-elected? Just promise more gimmies. Social Security was never meant to be a full-fledged retirement system but as a supplemental to assist with minor monthly expenses. As I understand it. the current Administration has loosened the rules to the point that anyone with a toothache can get disability. Then there are the redundant government agencies, the massive amounts of foreign aid, maintaining foreign military bases (do we really need to be in Europe?), etc.

Sorry, but the Progressives have proven that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. They pushed for Prohibition all in the name of what's best for everyone and upset the apple cart as liquor sales was the #1 funding source for the US Government. They then pushed for the income tax under the guise that "only the very rich would ever have to pay". Gee, that worked out well. Then other failure is the 17th Amendment, which means Senators are after their own self-interest of getting re-elected rather than what's best for their State and the country as a whole. They do so by loading up bills with all kinds of pork as a means of buying votes.

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

Gary wrote:As I understand it. the current Administration has loosened the rules to the point that anyone with a toothache can get disability.
Since dental is not covered, that would be amazing. :mellow:
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Heh. :D

Politicians are politicians. They will exploit any system we have to their own benefit. That's why the only major reform we need is election reform-- to have a better chance of getting qualified candidates into office, instead of just puppets of the Republicans and Democrats.

Social Security is definitely just a supplement to retirement-- anybody who relies exclusively on Social Security will get very hungry. I don't figure it into my calculations at all, except as a buffer. I definitely agree that military spending can be cut (especially black budget stuff) and our overseas presence downsized, but I am leery of complete withdrawal even with the Soviet Union gone-- the world hasn't exactly stabilized.

As for getting disability for a toothache, I suspect the type of websites you visit may exaggerate the evils of Obama slightly. :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

Wow! A new guy at a certain political forum at another mb which shall remain nameless just got his first warning in just three days! I think it's a record, even for that place. :eek: :Ahhh: :lol: He was baited, of course, but at that mb taking the bait is considered as bad if not worse an offence that offering it, so those who excell at baiting go for the mutual warnings and take them gleefully. It would be painful to watch, if it wasn't so entertaining. ;) :D
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I know a place like that. :lol:

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

Yes, yes you do. :lol:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I know of a couple of places like that. :lol:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

What difference does what make?

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

Apparently it's an attempt to make updating as more accurate information is received during an ongoing crisis look like an actual crime, a disregard for human life, and a sleazy mess.

I'm glowing. Dr Raul Ruiz, our new congressman, had a local event in Indio. He waved at me while he was being interviewed as the crowds were pouring in. Later, as we were getting our pictures taken with him, he told me that he was thinking of me when he requested the Veterans Committee! :) He's also on the Health Committee. I told him I'd be discussing some of my VA issues with his district office people, and got to meet the woman who will be heading his Indio office. His Palm Springs office, which will be the main local one, is already up and running, so I'll head there next week. Good to have someone who knows health issues and wants to help veterans representing me. :)
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Awesome! :thumbsup:
emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

I'm still glowing. :D
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's good to have friends in high places. :D

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch »

Yes, yes it is. :D