Infirmary Thread #17: Pass the Bandages

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Infirmary Thread #17: Pass the Bandages

Post by Lupine » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:52 pm

The finger is a bit better this morning, though still sore at times. As deep as the cut was it will probably be a while before it heals totally.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Re: Infirmary Thread #17: Pass the Bandages

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:01 pm

Yeah, and setting up at the Faire won't be helping.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:54 pm

It is healing up though it looks like I'll have a scar.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:26 pm

That's good. Women love scars.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm

I certainly have plenty of scars. At last count... 7 total: on my knee, my stomach, two on my arms, and three on my head.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:58 pm

^ :eek:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:26 pm
That's good. Women love scars.
I'd be like "Hey, baby! Want to see my finger?" :sly:

And people wonder why I'm single....

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:42 pm

:lol: Just be ostentatious about it. Show it off when you smooth your hair and scratch your nose. :cooldude:

I've got a few scars here and there. My best one is right next to my eye where I got hit with a flying rusty tin can cover back in the 60s. I cried like a baby, which was probably not terribly attractive to the girls who were present. :lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:04 am

I think I cried for 4 of my 7 injury producing scars. The chicks definitely do not dig it. :lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:11 am

Oh, I forgot to mention -- I finally, finally got around to getting my shingles vaccine shot. I've never had side-effect from a vaccine before, and I've had many flu shots over the years, as well as vaccines for typhoid and hep A.

But the shingles shot... wow... I've been wiped out the last 2 days. Today I'm slowly getting my energy back. Fatigue is listed as a side effect and I got it good.

By the way, you DON'T want to get shingles -- it's terrible and dangerous, so if you're over 50, please get it.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:35 pm

I have several small scars. I have had 25 moles removed, 1 melanoma scar on my back, one Brutus scar on my right arm, scars on both knees from the fall I had 3 years ago, and one scar over my right eye from the sled riding accident.

I want the shingles vaccine, but I have to wait a little over 3 years to get it. I know several people who were in their 40's when they had the shingles. One had it twice. :(
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:08 pm

I really need to catch up with my scarring. I now feel so inadequate in the scar department.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:30 pm

scottydog wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:11 am
But the shingles shot... wow... I've been wiped out the last 2 days. Today I'm slowly getting my energy back. Fatigue is listed as a side effect and I got it good.
That's why I have to plan when I get it. I suffer from fatigue as it is, so the Shingles vaccine will probably put me in a coma for a week.
Cayla wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:35 pm
I want the shingles vaccine, but I have to wait a little over 3 years to get it. I know several people who were in their 40's when they had the shingles. One had it twice. :(
Yeah, the FDA recommendation is 50 for Shingrix and 60 for Zostavax, but I have no idea what their logic is-- there's no age limit on getting Shingles.
Lupine wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:08 pm
I really need to catch up with my scarring. I now feel so inadequate in the scar department.
I've heard that trying to catch roadrunners can lead to some scarring. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:32 pm

^Unfortunately, they don't need to be caught. The parents can't seem to get the current 3 off the nest. :lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Lupine wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:08 pm
I think not being klutzy is a very good attribute, Lupy :lol:

Cayla, I didn't know you once had melanoma. That can be deadly. Glad you've recovered.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:30 pm
That's why I have to plan when I get it. I suffer from fatigue as it is, so the Shingles vaccine will probably put me in a coma for a week.
If you get the shot on a Friday, it may ruin your weekend. You probably have 6 years worth of sick-time saved up, so maybe get the shot on a Monday so you can call in sick for a couple of days if you need to.

But I really recommend that all of you get vaccinated for shingles. It's a horrible illness to get, sometimes even fatal.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:07 pm

One of my brother-in-laws had it on his face and in his eye. He had to go to an ophthalmologist twice per week for 3 months.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:53 pm

^^ Oh, man, that's awful. How is he? Did it leave any permanent damage?

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:44 am

He is fine, but he does have some numbness on his face.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 pm

That's not too bad, I guess. I still have some numbness from my surgery that I had as a teenager.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:55 pm

My problem is dumbness not numbness.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:36 pm

:lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:41 pm

We need Elara to come back and add some spice to this thread :lol:

Elara
Censor
Censor

Post by Elara » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:12 am

From the last thread:
scottydog wrote:
That sounds awful. I didn't realize there's a proper way to hold onto a horse.
Yep, and it is opposite of what I was doing. :lol:
No, we would have remembered this one. Do you (or did you) have to wear a back brace for a long time?
Nope, just had to let it heal.
Oh no. My doctor keeps telling me to get the shingles shot and I keep forgetting.
I now have to wait 3 years.
Normal for you because you're very active outdoors working with animals and machinery. For me, the riskiest thing I do all day is open the fridge. That door might hit my nose some day
Hey, you have 7 scars. :D

Oh, and no. The MRI shouldn't have caused the neck pain. All I can figure is that I tensed up too much, in order to stay still.
Cayla wrote:
I was worried that you were going through some medical issues in your absence, Elara.
I am surprised it wasn't worse, as much as I detest going to see doctors. :lol:
RJ wrote:
Do you have a mobile device? You might want to report these things in real time. It might make you feel better quicker.
Well, I have been known to take pictures of injuries, and lately, I have taken pictures of whatever hurts so I can jot it down when I get home. Like the injuries from the last several days. ;)

And as I told scottydog above, nothing was done for my back. Apparently they just let them heal. :shrug:
RJ wrote:
Damn! Elara's a bad influence.
scottydog wrote: :lol: :lol: Now, now. We can't blame Elara for Lupy's mistake.
I'm contagious. :Ahhh:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:52 pm
The finger is a bit better this morning, though still sore at times. As deep as the cut was it will probably be a while before it heals totally.
Just keep it clean and covered. :yes:

And now, because scottydog insisted... :D On Sunday I decided to pull some of the cache of old bailing twine out of the pile that my brother shoved it into. It had been nicely bundled, maybe kind of in the dirt, and my brother loves to play in his Bobcat, so years ago he scooped a bunch of stuff into a pile, including my twine. So, I worked at getting it out of the pile of tree limbs, mud, rock, etc... What I didn't notice and never felt, was a couple of rope burns (ripped the skin clear off) from pulling as hard as I could and slipping because the twine was muddy. They are about half healed, but I still have to bandage them at night and wear gloves when I am feeding horses.
Then on Tuesday, I set 4 more rods to help brace the tomato cages. These are rebar chunks that my brother has lying around, ends cut off when he doesn't need a full bar. Anyway, one of them was rather bent, so hammering on it was tricky and the hammer slipped a couple of times... right onto my left hand. Got a nice sized lump and bruise out of the deal. :)
And then there was yesterday. This is sooo embarrassing. To set the stage for you all. I have a bird feeder, and years ago, when Reme first showed up, he liked to lay near the feeder and try to catch the birds. Well, I couldn't allow that, I wasn't trapping them for him, so I put up a fence. It's only about 16 inches high, but that is enough to slow him down and allow time for the birds to escape. The problem for me yesterday was that the fence isn't clean on top, so I occasionally catch a pant leg on the wires. Still with me? You can turn away, stop reading, it would really be understandable. Well, yesterday I caught my right pant leg on one wire as I stepped over the fence. I was caught in such a way that stopping wasn't feasible and staying upright was sure to get my now trapped left leg stabbed by several wires, so I spun to free my left leg and dropped to the ground. Unfortunately, the one wire somehow gripped my right leg right to it and scraped a jagged line down my leg, about 2 inches long. AND, it left a big lump, complete with bruise, which seems to have affected my big toe. Seriously not sure how they are connected. :conf: I have a big bandage covering the wound because it is really uncomfortable to have anything touch it, and the tops of my rubber boots hit right there. :Ahhh:

Today it was too hot to do anything, so no injuries. :lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:06 am

Elara wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:12 am
And now, because scottydog insisted... :D ... What I didn't notice and never felt, was a couple of rope burns (ripped the skin clear off) from pulling as hard as I could
That's odd that you didn't notice skin being ripped off your hands. My guess is you're concentrating so much on what you're doing that you forget to feel pain.
...and the hammer slipped a couple of times... right onto my left hand. Got a nice sized lump and bruise out of the deal. :)
Ouch. I've done that a few times in my life and it's an awful feeling.
...I caught my right pant leg on one wire as I stepped over the fence. I was caught in such a way that stopping wasn't feasible and staying upright was sure to get my now trapped left leg stabbed by several wires, so I spun to free my left leg and dropped to the ground. Unfortunately, the one wire somehow gripped my right leg right to it and scraped a jagged line down my leg, about 2 inches long. AND, it left a big lump, complete with bruise, which seems to have affected my big toe.
Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark. I bet no one has a better bandaid collection and first-aid kit than you do.
Thank goodness we know that extreme heat is the one thing that keeps you safe. Maybe you should move to the planet Mercury :lol:

And while I do appreciate your spicing up this thread, I'd really rather you didn't suffer these injuries. But thanks for making today's paper cut I got seem like very small potatoes. :loopy:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Elara wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:52 pm
Just keep it clean and covered. :yes:
Actually it's healed enough now that I haven't worn a band-aid in a couple of days. It's still a little tinder though.
Elara wrote:
Maybe when it cools down. :P

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Elara wrote:
Unfortunately, the one wire somehow gripped my right leg right to it and scraped a jagged line down my leg, about 2 inches long.
You're lucky you didn't get impaled. That sounds like something out of a horror movie. :afraid:
AND, it left a big lump, complete with bruise, which seems to have affected my big toe. Seriously not sure how they are connected. :conf:
I think you've invented acupuncture. Emphasis on puncture.