Infirmary Thread #17: Pass the Bandages

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Re: Infirmary Thread #17: Pass the Bandages

Post by Cayla » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:30 am

No I have not been walking. This has not helped my mood, either. I hope I can go on my evening walks, soon. Never in my life have I been excited to go see a doctor, as I am today. I just want out of pain.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:14 pm

^Hope it helps.

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:25 pm

cortison is usually very effective but it has one nasty side effect: it can make tendeons thinner and a bit brittle so that they tear easily. Also, in diabetics it can derail the blood sugar levels considerably.
Have you tried aluminium diacetate yet? It's a colourless liquid that smells a little of vinegar. You dilute it and use it for a wet poultice. It usually helps very well with tendeonitis and all sorts of blunt trauma. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_diacetate

My dad had a nasty accident yesterday. He tripped and hit his head against a side table. One of those Victorian ones with lots of moldings, corners and edges. Fortunately, he had an appointment with his orthopedist who also doubles as an ER doc. He patched dad up (just 2 fingerlong scratches, no stutures required). Dad now has a mean headache and a sore neck but funnily the pinched nerve in his back because of which he had the appointment must have been jerked free by the fall so that his leg pains are totally gone. As my great-granny used to say: there's scarcely a catastrophy without its advantages :D
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:11 am

Lupine wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 pm
When it first started coming on I was worried it was the opening act for the flu.
Did you get your flu shot yet? I got one at my checkup last week.
Cayla wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:30 am
No I have not been walking. This has not helped my mood, either. I hope I can go on my evening walks, soon. Never in my life have I been excited to go see a doctor, as I am today. I just want out of pain.
How'd it go? Did they give you the cortisone?
huggle wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:25 pm
My dad had a nasty accident yesterday. He tripped and hit his head against a side table. One of those Victorian ones with lots of moldings, corners and edges. Fortunately, he had an appointment with his orthopedist who also doubles as an ER doc. He patched dad up (just 2 fingerlong scratches, no stutures required). Dad now has a mean headache and a sore neck but funnily the pinched nerve in his back because of which he had the appointment must have been jerked free by the fall so that his leg pains are totally gone. As my great-granny used to say: there's scarcely a catastrophy without its advantages :D
Oh, man, that just sends chills down my spine. He's lucky that he's okay. He's got to be more careful, or wrap himself in bubble wrap or something.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:03 am

huggle wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:25 pm
funnily the pinched nerve in his back because of which he had the appointment must have been jerked free by the fall so that his leg pains are totally gone. As my great-granny used to say: there's scarcely a catastrophy without its advantages :D
That does it. I'm going to hurl myself onto sharp furniture to reap the same benefits. :loopy:
Cayla wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:30 am
Never in my life have I been excited to go see a doctor, as I am today. I just want out of pain.
Let us know how you're feeling :yes:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:42 pm

Well, I have both tendinitis and plantar fasciitis. My options were to where a boot and take oral steroids, or a cortisone shot every for 2 weeks for the next 4 weeks. Since the shots were supposed to work the fastest, I opted for the shots. This morning, my foot and ankle still have the same pain, but now I also have the pain of the injection site, which is in my heel. It's like the day after a tetanus vaccine, but instead of in my arm, it is on the bottom of my foot.

huggle, thanks! I'll look into it.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:53 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:11 am
Lupine wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 pm
When it first started coming on I was worried it was the opening act for the flu.
Did you get your flu shot yet? I got one at my checkup last week.
I've never gotten a flu shot, mostly because I don't get it too often.
As for the throat it got worse yesterday. So much so I eventually took an Excedrin for it. Woke this morning feeling a bit manky and thinking I had a fever. But it was 96 (normal for me). After getting up though the pain subsided with a sudden bad taste in my mouth (which has happened to me before). We'll see how I feel after the Excedrin wears off in 2 hours.

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:45 pm

can you get hard malt candy in the US? That's an old home remedy against a sore throat. It's both soothing and tasty. My sister swears by a glass of hot milk with caramel and a dollop of whiskey (or two or three... :D)

@Cayla: I had the same 2 years ago. The pain was less when I started to wear shoes with slightly higher heels (usually I wear completely flat ones). Also, there are gel pads you can insert in the shoe under the heel. Those, too, raise the heel a little so that the pull on the tendeon is reduced. It took almost a year to heal. I hope you heal faster. (I couldn't get cortisone because of my diabetes)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:31 pm

huggle wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:45 pm
can you get hard malt candy in the US? That's an old home remedy against a sore throat.
Maybe. I should try that, but for the moment the throat is doing OK. But I'm still feeling a little wrung out.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:35 pm

huggle wrote:
My sister swears by a glass of hot milk with caramel and a dollop of whiskey (or two or three... :D)
Wow, can I try that without the sore throat? :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:39 pm

The throats a tad tender but I'm feeling much better now. I might have gotten a scratch in there the last time the dentist mauled me.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 am

Cayla wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:42 pm
Well, I have both tendinitis and plantar fasciitis. My options were to where a boot and take oral steroids, or a cortisone shot every for 2 weeks for the next 4 weeks. Since the shots were supposed to work the fastest, I opted for the shots. This morning, my foot and ankle still have the same pain, but now I also have the pain of the injection site, which is in my heel. It's like the day after a tetanus vaccine, but instead of in my arm, it is on the bottom of my foot.
How long is it supposed to take to work?
huggle wrote:
can you get hard malt candy in the US? That's an old home remedy against a sore throat. It's both soothing and tasty. My sister swears by a glass of hot milk with caramel and a dollop of whiskey (or two or three... :D)
I think I can guess the active ingredient in that prescription. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:39 pm
The throats a tad tender but I'm feeling much better now. I might have gotten a scratch in there the last time the dentist mauled me.
That's probably it. I've had sore throats and/or laryngitis after dentist visits before.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 am

Back in September, I broke a molar. It's one my dentist had replaced the amalgam filling with the newer porcelain style about six years ago. He'd warned me at the time that the wall of the tooth was thin, so there was a chance it could shear. Well, it did and the most embarrassing part is I broke it while eating Smarties. People are in utter disbelief when I tell them that until I give the follow-up, which is that I'd been chomping on Atomic Fireballs the previous two days. It stands to reason the Fireballs set events in motion. Since I only broke part of the molar, and I'm not in pain or in danger of cutting my tongue, we'll wait until I'm out of braces before he replaces the molar with a crown.

Meanwhile, we're waiting until I'm out of braces before I get the implant on #19. I figured it would be best for the orthodontist to have all of his work done and wires out of the way so the oral surgeon can work his magic. He's trying to get my other front tooth to turn and then I should be good. Hopefully, this nonsense ends by Christmas.

Oh, I got my flu shot this year as well just a couple of weeks ago. Funny how this year's is supposed to be super wicked, yet all I suffered was mild nasal drip for two days afterward.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:55 am

I had no side effects at all from the flu shot this year. I'm thinking of trying to get the Shingles vaccine this Sunday.

It will be a nice Christmas present if you can get those braces off. My Christmas present in 1978 was not getting my braces off-- it was oral surgery and a wired jaw. :lol:

Elara
Censor
Censor

Post by Elara » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:51 am

Yesterday and earlier today I lived in a migraine fog. Last night I couldn't get to sleep, which led me to thinking. It's never good to think when you are trying to sleep. Especially when it's due to a migraine, because that starts up thoughts of: "Is this the worst head pain I've ever felt?" Now you are worried about death and how you haven't done everything you need to do. Pretty soon, you have to sit up, because you won't die if you are sitting up. Then you turn the tv on to take your mind off the thoughts and the pain, but there are just the dumbest infomercials on and your head hurts worse, so you wonder if this is the worst head pain you've ever felt...
I finally fell asleep around 5am, and got up at 8am to take some migraine pills, then slept another hour.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:12 am
I'll try the fish oil, Elara, thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:
You are welcome. :)
scottydog wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:12 am
Bloody Hell! The Snap, Crackle, and Popping Life of Elara.
Now we've lost the "Nothing Good". Titles are tough to narrow down. :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:42 pm
You should feel better in about 8 days. That's generally how long the shots take for me, sometimes 10 days, and occasionally just a few days. But the relief is worth the shot.
For the curious (looks at scottydog), I've had more shots than I can count in my *wrists, three in my right knee, two in my left, two in my right ankle, and one in my spine.
*If I had to hazard a guess, 13 shots in my right wrist and 15 in my left.
huggle wrote:
@Cayla: I had the same 2 years ago. The pain was less when I started to wear shoes with slightly higher heels (usually I wear completely flat ones). Also, there are gel pads you can insert in the shoe under the heel. Those, too, raise the heel a little so that the pull on the tendeon is reduced. It took almost a year to heal. I hope you heal faster. (I couldn't get cortisone because of my diabetes)
It helps my ankle and my back to wear heels. Rheumatologist #4 used to gripe because I wore heels, telling me how they would harm my feet. I had to tell him every time he griped, that I only wear them a few times a month, and they help.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 am
I think I can guess the active ingredient in that prescription. :lol:
Yep. Same one parents used to give babies to help with teething. Hey, if it puts the baby to sleep, that's helping, right? :lol:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:42 am

I also had no side effects with the flu vaccine. I got mine in September.

My foot feels much better, today. Just some slight tendinitis. The stretching exercising are help it. This is the best I have been able to walk in over 6 weeks. I plan to resume my evening walks today or tomorrow.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:28 pm

^ I'm glad your foot is feeling better, Cayla.
Elara wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:51 am
For the curious (looks at scottydog), I've had more shots than I can count in my *wrists, three in my right knee, two in my left, two in my right ankle, and one in my spine.
*If I had to hazard a guess, 13 shots in my right wrist and 15 in my left.
Bloody Hell-Nothing Good-Pin-Cushion: The Snap, Crackle, and Popping Life of Elara

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Cayla wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:42 am
My foot feels much better, today. Just some slight tendinitis. The stretching exercising are help it. This is the best I have been able to walk in over 6 weeks. I plan to resume my evening walks today or tomorrow.
Glad you're better.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 pm

Elara wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:51 am
Yesterday and earlier today I lived in a migraine fog. Last night I couldn't get to sleep, which led me to thinking. It's never good to think when you are trying to sleep. Especially when it's due to a migraine, because that starts up thoughts of: "Is this the worst head pain I've ever felt?" Now you are worried about death and how you haven't done everything you need to do. Pretty soon, you have to sit up, because you won't die if you are sitting up. Then you turn the tv on to take your mind off the thoughts and the pain, but there are just the dumbest infomercials on and your head hurts worse, so you wonder if this is the worst head pain you've ever felt...
:no: Do you think you might convince your doctor to try Imitrex or Sumitriptan?
Now we've lost the "Nothing Good". Titles are tough to narrow down. :lol:
Nothing Good is very catchy. Gotta keep that.
It helps my ankle and my back to wear heels.
Hmm, I wonder how I'd look in heels.
Yep. Same one parents used to give babies to help with teething. Hey, if it puts the baby to sleep, that's helping, right? :lol:
I sure think so.
Cayla wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:42 am
That's great. I'm glad to hear it. :yes:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Wow. I haven't been in this Infirmary since it was opened.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little better today. I was kind of shaky earlier, but figured that was because I only had a few pieces of toast yesterday. So mid morning I had a peanut butter sandwich, and just a while ago I had more toast.

Lupy, I hadn't even thought of the food poisoning aspect. I've never had it before so I don't know how it manifests.

And speaking of flu shots, I've been going to make an appointment with my doctor's office to get one. I've been going to do that since the beginning of October. :blush:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 pm

jgc wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Lupy, I hadn't even thought of the food poisoning aspect. I've never had it before so I don't know how it manifests.
It does sound like there was something bad on that pizza.
And speaking of flu shots, I've been going to make an appointment with my doctor's office to get one. I've been going to do that since the beginning of October. :blush:
Now's a good time. :D

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:37 pm

jgc wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
I just got my flu shot. :yes:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:29 am

Apparently I'm feeling much better tonight than I was even this morning. :thumbsup:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:10 am

jgc wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:29 am
Apparently I'm feeling much better tonight than I was even this morning. :thumbsup:
I'm very glad to hear this. You must have had some chocolate :chocolate_bar:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:04 pm

I am glad you are feeling better, jgc.

My left foot is about 80% better. The tendinitis only acts up first thing in the morning, but I am able to walk on it, and it goes away after doing certain stretches and exercises that my doctor advised me to do, As for the plantar fasciitis, while it isn't no where near as painful as it was, I fear I will still need the second cortisone shot, next week. I'm not limping, but I still feel it a bit when I walk. I want to make sure it goes away for good.

Since this whole mess of my life began in September, and since I started the thyroid pills a month ago, I have lost 12lbs.