Check-In 106: Fire and Fury.

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-In 106: Fire and Fury.

Post by scottydog » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:11 am

Happy Friday, all :hello:

A couple of zoom work meetings today -- that's about it. More and more colleges and universities are announcing that they're going fully online, and I kind of expect U of Richmond to do the same. That is, if they're smart. I'm okay with that, safety-wise, even though it does mean taking a significant pay cut.
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:16 am
might even reach hot, but i doubt it. its supposed to stop at 29 - 30 is where i start to call things hot rather than warm.
It hasn't been as cool as 30 here (86F) in over a month :lol: You are going to have fun surviving New Orleans when it's above 30 from April through October.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:32 am
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:10 am
I did the unthinkable and got down on my knees to look closely at our filthy carpet. I saw bits of sawdust, Hydrox crumbs, dirt, threads, human hair, and unidentifiable debris that is better left a mystery :lol:
This is why I eat Hydrox in one bite! :lol:
I thought you were going to say, "This is why I don't look closely at the carpet" :lol:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am

Good morning! :yawn:

S and I got everything done, except for the main area that will eventually have grass. At least now I can build the walkway between the houses, and order a truck load of dirt, so that I can build the new flagstone patio. The yard is no longer overwhelming for me to handle. S did tell me that I should not be lifting the heavy flagstone...he said I should leave it for someone stronger and younger than me. I asked him if he was calling me old. :lol: We had a lot of fun, chatting about all kinds of things, as we worked. I also did 2 hours of work at the landscaping job. They offered to come take the old fencing material, and bricks, so S neatly piled it, so it can be taken away.

Twice, yesterday morning, Ron's boss mentioned he was just going to close the construction company, and continue with the new landscaping business. I fear Ron may be out of a job soon, which means he won't be able to pay spousal support. On the other hand, there may be a new job opportunity for me in the future. I'm curious to see how this pans out.

Why am I picturing scottydog crawling around on the floor, and eating Hydrox crumbs?
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 pm

Cayla wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am
Why am I picturing scottydog crawling around on the floor, and eating Hydrox crumbs?
That's a gruesome image, me on my hands and knees, with tweezers, squealing with delight at discovering uneaten carpet crumbs :lol:
Cayla wrote:
I fear Ron may be out of a job soon, which means he won't be able to pay spousal support. On the other hand, there may be a new job opportunity for me in the future. I'm curious to see how this pans out.
I hope you don't lose your spousal support money. No matter what, though, you've proven yourself to be fiercely independent and heroically capable of handling any situation. :yes:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 pm

Welcome to the last day of July, yokels. :coffee:

Finishing up laundry and no specific plans for today. Hopefully my aunt's eyes will be clear(ish) this morning. The meds from yesterday left her with somewhat fuzzy vision which made her a little panicky. However it started to clear before bedtime.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:56 am
Lupine wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 pm
Needless to say the eye doctor says my aunt will need cataract surgery. :nerd:
Oops, I missed this. That sucks, but she should be pretty happy with the results. Has she been complaining a lot about her vision?
Oh, yeah. For ages in fact. It got to the point I had to make an appointment for her since she kept putting it off.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:10 am
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:56 am
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:48 am
We desperately need to vacuum. :vacuum: Our carpets are beyond grotesque.
Mine too. Luckily I'm a big Horror aficionado.
I did the unthinkable and got down on my knees to look closely at our filthy carpet. I saw bits of sawdust, Hydrox crumbs, dirt, threads, human hair, and unidentifiable debris that is better left a mystery :lol:
Here it's mostly dog hair and sand.
Cayla wrote:
:veryhappy:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:46 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I was so lazy today I didn't even go to the store. :lol: I just read and napped and caught up a bit at the RNG YouTube channel. Oh, and sorted a few things for storage. I need more boxes, though.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:11 am
I'm okay with that, safety-wise, even though it does mean taking a significant pay cut.
Will you have fewer expenses to compensate? When I started working from home I saved a fortune just because I didn't have to pay for parking.
I thought you were going to say, "This is why I don't look closely at the carpet" :lol:
Well, that too. :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Twice, yesterday morning, Ron's boss mentioned he was just going to close the construction company, and continue with the new landscaping business. I fear Ron may be out of a job soon, which means he won't be able to pay spousal support. On the other hand, there may be a new job opportunity for me in the future. I'm curious to see how this pans out.
I hope it pans out well. Is it possible Ron would have a job at the landscaping business?
The Human Vacuum Cleaner. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 pm
That's a gruesome image, me on my hands and knees, with tweezers, squealing with delight at discovering uneaten carpet crumbs :lol:
There's the next ReNext Productions motion picture. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 pm
Oh, yeah. For ages in fact. It got to the point I had to make an appointment for her since she kept putting it off.
She'll probably be stressed about the procedure, but she'll be very happy once it's done.

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 pm

The Wife is taking the three evil Stepmonsters to the beach for the week, starting tomorrow. I'll be a bachelor for 7 days, which scares me. There's so much potential trouble I can get in. :devil:
Lupine wrote:
No food crumbs? How can you be such a neat eater?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:46 pm
Oh, and sorted a few things for storage. I need more boxes, though.
This storage process appears to be a life-long undertaking. And by "undertaking", I don't mean to imply that you'll need the services of an undertaker to finish it. :rip:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:46 pm
Will you have fewer expenses to compensate? When I started working from home I saved a fortune just because I didn't have to pay for parking.
Actually, I wish I could say I'm benefiting from fewer expenses. But not really. Our parking is free and I live 5 minutes from campus. I'll basically lose about 15% of my salary, which is thousands of dollars. That sounds bad, and it is, but I'm about to turn 61 and I've worked there for 33 years, so it's not like I haven't saved any money for retirement.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 pm

scottydog wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 pm
Lupine wrote:
No food crumbs? How can you be such a neat eater?
The dogs take care of the crumbs. :dog: They're kind of like living vacuums that way. :vacuum:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:11 pm

Good evening. :hello:

Today I made meatballs and froze them after cooking. Period. That's it.

There are always things that need doing. But being the Queen of Procrastination, I'm very good at ignoring the little things.

Today is actually Friday, so I can comfortably think all the Friday thoughts I was thinking yesterday.

You all have a good night and a better weekend.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 pm

scottydog wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 pm
The Wife is taking the three evil Stepmonsters to the beach for the week, starting tomorrow. I'll be a bachelor for 7 days, which scares me. There's so much potential trouble I can get in. :devil:
So many crumbs, so many crumbs....
This storage process appears to be a life-long undertaking. And by "undertaking", I don't mean to imply that you'll need the services of an undertaker to finish it. :rip:
Well, I do take the stuff to a tomb.
Actually, I wish I could say I'm benefiting from fewer expenses. But not really. Our parking is free and I live 5 minutes from campus. I'll basically lose about 15% of my salary, which is thousands of dollars. That sounds bad, and it is, but I'm about to turn 61 and I've worked there for 33 years, so it's not like I haven't saved any money for retirement.
That sucks. It might impact your social security projections, too, depending on when it goes into effect. :no:
jgc wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:11 pm
Today is actually Friday, so I can comfortably think all the Friday thoughts I was thinking yesterday.
I like that. It's kinda profound. :lol:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:54 am

Well, that stupid hurricane racing up the east coast has delayed and shortened The Wife's week at the beach. Because the storm is hitting the coast of NC on Monday, and there is mandatory evacuation there, she's not even leaving for her trip until either Tuesday night or Wednesday. My bachelor week has been severely compromised. I'm not a happy camper :mad:
Lupine wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 pm
The dogs take care of the crumbs. :dog: They're kind of like living vacuums that way. :vacuum:
That's probably the biggest and most important reason to have a dog! :lol:
jgc wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:11 pm
You all have a good night and a better weekend.
How is Queenie doing these days?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 pm
Well, I do take the stuff to a tomb.
That has to be one huge tomb to accommodate your acres of collection items. I still think you should have an appraiser come in and assign your stuff a dollar value. You'll discover that you could have retired ten years ago :lol:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 am

GM. i actually like the heat, scottydpf...miss it from when i lived in aussie. let me revert a month - yesterday i afternooned by taking a short hike up to the woods and picking some blackberries, then popped to the plot to pick tmatoes, baby zuchini, pes, beans and 12 raspberries. today = a good day methinks. off shopping in Rustingtn with L, the coffee with L then plot with L....

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:37 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I'm off to the Tomb of Doom and the Breakfast of... uh... Mom.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:54 am
Well, that stupid hurricane racing up the east coast has delayed and shortened The Wife's week at the beach. Because the storm is hitting the coast of NC on Monday, and there is mandatory evacuation there, she's not even leaving for her trip until either Tuesday night or Wednesday. My bachelor week has been severely compromised. I'm not a happy camper :mad:
Maybe you should go to the beach instead. You might be better off with a hurricane than the Stepmonsters.
That has to be one huge tomb to accommodate your acres of collection items.
Actually, I think I should have gotten the larger tomb. This one is already pretty filled and there is lots to go.
I still think you should have an appraiser come in and assign your stuff a dollar value. You'll discover that you could have retired ten years ago :lol:
You may be right. I recently found out that a Stephen King first edition that I bought for five bucks at the Million Year Picnic in the early 80s is now worth about ten thousand dollars.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 am
GM. i actually like the heat, scottydpf...miss it from when i lived in aussie. let me revert a month - yesterday i afternooned by taking a short hike up to the woods and picking some blackberries, then popped to the plot to pick tmatoes, baby zuchini, pes, beans and 12 raspberries. today = a good day methinks. off shopping in Rustingtn with L, the coffee with L then plot with L....
No swans yet?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 am

So, yeah, The Wife's plan to leave for the beach for the week is on hold until that storm passes through North Carolina where she rented a place. That's a big bummer, as I really wanted the house to myself for a week. Now I'll get maybe 3 or 4 days max. :mellow:

This morning I'll go take a walk with Tim to see how he's feeling. Not much else planned.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 am
i actually like the heat, scottydpf...miss it from when i lived in aussie.
Then you'll LOVE New Orleans. It makes Brisbane feel like the North Pole :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:37 am
You may be right. I recently found out that a Stephen King first edition that I bought for five bucks at the Million Year Picnic in the early 80s is now worth about ten thousand dollars.
That's fabulous! :eek: I have the opposite superpower, namely, the ability to buy something for 10 grand only to discover it's worth 5 bucks. :lol:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 pm

no swans today...just plenty of L! now i have bags of crops, wine and shopping to sort out!!!!
never been to Brisbane....
just catching up online with fluids before cooking/eating....

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Good morning!

I'm wondering if Aaron's temporary bachelorhood is going to end sooner than planned. Kelly and Athena are to fly home from Myrtle Beach on Monday evening.

No plans for today. If the weather cooperates, I will continue with some yard work. I also need to go into the attic, to find some of my old kitchen items to give to Kelly and Aaron. I need to make room for when my $879 Pampered Chef order arrives in a couple of weeks. I had a $705 credit, spent $59, and the remaining balance is the 5 half off items I let my mom use to purchase.I replaced several kitchen items, that I had lost in the divorce.

4 days of bachelorhood is better than none, scottydog.

Speaking of Stephen King, I finally watched Dr. Sleep last night. I loved it!
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:41 pm

I grew tired of the USB headset for work and purchased a Logitech H600 headset. So far, I'm loving it although I have learned to recharge it around lunchtime during the very heavy meeting days. This device was truly Plug & Play for both my work laptop and also my home laptop.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Good morning and welcome to August!

Just planning to stay out of the heat today. It's going to be another scorcher.
In other new, Mystery Cat apparently has accepted the presence of the new cats as he was hanging around with them yesterday evening.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Good afternoon, everybody. :hello:
scottydog wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 am
That's fabulous! :eek: I have the opposite superpower, namely, the ability to buy something for 10 grand only to discover it's worth 5 bucks. :lol:
Of course, for something to be truly valuable, one has to sell it. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 pm
no swans today...just plenty of L!
I'm guessing that's preferable. :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 pm
We need more than that to make a series out of The Hydrox Bachelor, though.
Gary wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:41 pm
I grew tired of the USB headset for work and purchased a Logitech H600 headset. So far, I'm loving it although I have learned to recharge it around lunchtime during the very heavy meeting days.
Looks good, and I do need a new headset for work.
Lupine wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm
In other new, Mystery Cat apparently has accepted the presence of the new cats as he was hanging around with them yesterday evening.
Interesting that they would make peace so easily.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:34 pm

^One's little more than a kitten and the other might be a female.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:03 pm

Had a nice long walk with Tim. He's really getting his energy back -- that's the good news. The bad news is, he's still having a little trouble swallowing, and his throat is where the cancer is, or was. So naturally he's worried. His next scan is on the 17th, the results of which could determine whether he lives or dies. :mellow:
Cayla wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 pm
You are so right, and I plan on savoring each precious moment.
Gary wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:41 pm
I grew tired of the USB headset for work and purchased a Logitech H600 headset. So far, I'm loving it a
That looks like an awesome device. I wonder if I could find a use for it...
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:16 pm
Of course, for something to be truly valuable, one has to sell it. :lol:
Would you ever consider selling that Stephen King novel? What if it was the difference between retiring with no Hydrox versus retiring with all the Hydrox you could ever want?
Lupine wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:34 pm
^One's little more than a kitten and the other might be a female.
They're both really cute. Can they tolerate the heat outside? Or do they stay inside or under the house where it's cooler?

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:46 pm

^They've been hiding under a camper my aunt uses for storage.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:28 pm

scottydog wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:03 pm
Had a nice long walk with Tim. He's really getting his energy back -- that's the good news. The bad news is, he's still having a little trouble swallowing, and his throat is where the cancer is, or was. So naturally he's worried. His next scan is on the 17th, the results of which could determine whether he lives or dies. :mellow:
Good luck to him. The trouble swallowing doesn't really mean anything, since that area was severely traumatized in several different ways. He may have trouble swallowing for the rest of his life, or he may need Botox injections or something.
Would you ever consider selling that Stephen King novel? What if it was the difference between retiring with no Hydrox versus retiring with all the Hydrox you could ever want?
Sure. It's not my most prized possession or anything. But right now, it's just cooler to have it. :lol:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:44 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:28 pm
The trouble swallowing doesn't really mean anything, since that area was severely traumatized in several different ways. He may have trouble swallowing for the rest of his life, or he may need Botox injections or something.
You know, I'm glad you said that. I tried to tell him the same thing, that the radiation and chemo targeting that area for so long means a long, slow recovery process. But I was just guessing :lol:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:07 am

GM. work ahead - but my 6 client day is already down to 4.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:35 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

And I'm off to watch the sunrise in a bit. And then: Sloth.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:44 am
You know, I'm glad you said that. I tried to tell him the same thing, that the radiation and chemo targeting that area for so long means a long, slow recovery process. But I was just guessing :lol:
Good guess. :yes:
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:07 am
GM. work ahead - but my 6 client day is already down to 4.
That sounds a bit ominous. :unsure: