Check-In 107: Once more unto the breach.

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-In 107: Once more unto the breach.

Post by scottydog » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:49 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Graveyards need whistling.
Here are 10 fun facts about Hydrox cookies.

You've given me an idea to dress up as a Hydrox cookie this Halloween, sort of like this:
Attachments
8e606e449bfbb8658d1dd501a5b9c05e.jpg

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 am

GM.
That's great news, and you should be proud. He's overcome a lot of stuff and he's a good kid
thats for sure. and its wonderful to see one of his drams finally come true for him. he hasnt managed to buy his own home or move to Japan yet - but has mastered the art of driving and got a car.

ahead today 2 x gardening jobs and a plot trot.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:28 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Now I'm off to drop off my car at the shop. It's going to be a chilly walk back.
jgc wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:25 am
🔺I don't know why the water isn't draining. Her anxiety level is pretty high, so I'm just trying to keep her calm. Her friend in Destin is all hunkered down. And she hasn't replied to Pier's last few texts. Her other friend she relies on is in Tampa. So no help there. I'll ask about the roof after the storm passes by. Which could take a long time. I worry about her.
Yeah, the poor lady. I hope she's okay, and the person in Destin too. When is the storm expected to end?
scottydog wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:49 am
Here are 10 fun facts about Hydrox cookies.
It never even occurred to me that people would be turned off by the name. Everybody ate them when i was a kid.
You've given me an idea to dress up as a Hydrox cookie this Halloween, sort of like this:
Ooh, double stuff. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 am
thats for sure. and its wonderful to see one of his drams finally come true for him. he hasnt managed to buy his own home or move to Japan yet - but has mastered the art of driving and got a car.
One step at a time. Why does he want to live in Japan?

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 am

Good morning!

I have been awake since 4:20AM. The temporary medication gives me insomnia. Ugh!

My brother is in Panama City Beach. They had a tornado pass by their area, around 8:00PM. Fortunately, they did not have any damage. According to the Panama City Beach, FL FB group, there has been Tornado Warnings all night. My sister-in-law said they have had about 15 inches of rain, so far.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 am

Happy Wednesday, all :hello:

Today's another busy teaching day. I'll squeeze in a lunch with my elderly friend Marcia - I haven't seen her in a while. That's about it.
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 am
he hasnt managed to buy his own home or move to Japan yet - but has mastered the art of driving and got a car.
One of his dreams is to move to Japan? Why is that?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:28 am
It never even occurred to me that people would be turned off by the name. Everybody ate them when i was a kid.
True for me, too. I had to learn later that marketers referred to product names like 'Hydrox' and 'Microsoft' as examples of terrible naming, even though neither one seemed bad to me.
Cayla wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 am
The temporary medication gives me insomnia. Ugh!
I know what that's like. I'm glad this med is temporary.
Cayla wrote:
They had a tornado pass by their area, around 8:00PM. Fortunately, they did not have any damage. According to the Panama City Beach, FL FB group, there has been Tornado Warnings all night. My sister-in-law said they have had about 15 inches of rain, so far.
Yikes. This is our 2-year anniversary of tornadoes that attacked Richmond. One F-1 twister, you may recall, went right over our house. We were spared damage only because it was bobbing up and down and happened to bob up at our house.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Good morning, all. :coffee2:

Need to do some shopping later today. :shopping_cart:
Cayla wrote:
My brother is in Panama City Beach. They had a tornado pass by their area, around 8:00PM. Fortunately, they did not have any damage. According to the Panama City Beach, FL FB group, there has been Tornado Warnings all night.
:eek: :Ahhh: Glad they're OK.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi! :hello:

Cayla, my friend is also in PCB. She said they had tornado warnings all night. She's got some trees down in the backyard, and part of a branch sticking out of the roof. The roof she just got repaired from last year's hurricane, Michael. :no:

And then, she really scared me this morning. I texted her as soon as I got up, and didn't hear back for over three hours! And I guess the forecast is for the wind to get worse this afternoon.

Anyway, I ended up going to Walmart this morning. Because for my last two grocery deliveries, they were unable to supply the flavored water I prefer. So I went to a different Walmart and got my darn water! It just proves that if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Now it's time to finish cleaning the bureaus in the bedroom so I can send before and after pictures to my cleaning partner. :D

Maddy, congrats to your son fy getting his license. :thumbsup:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 pm

I finally got Pier to tell me they had two tornadoes last night. That's how the branch got stuck in the roof.

She sometimes doesn't tell me things so I won't worry. 🙄 Like that works.
Imagine by John Lennon

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:52 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Well, my heater is fixed, but they discovered that I have a broken sway bar. I'm still waiting to see how that turns out. Apparently one needs a sway bar very much.
Cayla wrote:
I have been awake since 4:20AM. The temporary medication gives me insomnia. Ugh!
Yikes. Your medication insomnia is almost as bad as my normal insomnia.
My brother is in Panama City Beach. They had a tornado pass by their area, around 8:00PM. Fortunately, they did not have any damage. According to the Panama City Beach, FL FB group, there has been Tornado Warnings all night. My sister-in-law said they have had about 15 inches of rain, so far.
I'm glad they didn't get any damage. I hope that's the last brush with tornadoes that they have.
scottydog wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 am
I had to learn later that marketers referred to product names like 'Hydrox' and 'Microsoft' as examples of terrible naming, even though neither one seemed bad to me.
What do they say about "RJDiogenes?"
One F-1 twister, you may recall, went right over our house.
I do recall that. I would have called it an F-U twister.
jgc wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:17 pm
She's got some trees down in the backyard, and part of a branch sticking out of the roof.
Ouch. Is the roof leaking, too?
So I went to a different Walmart and got my darn water! It just proves that if you want something done right, do it yourself.
As long as you do it masked and gloved and trenchcoated like the Invisible Man. :lol:
jgc wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 pm
She sometimes doesn't tell me things so I won't worry. 🙄 Like that works.
Yup, then you just worry that they're not telling you something. Welcome to my world. :lol:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 pm

Today was a good day. My lunch with Marcia went well. She's been thru so much, what with her crippling car accident, he fall that broke her wrist, and losing her best friend 3 months ago. She's amazing resilient and positive.

My classes went well today. I told me students how impressed I was with them that we've gotten through 4 weeks of classes without any COVID outbreak. They must be obeying all the social distancing rules. I spoke with the Associate Provost today and she said that the students are happy that there's no outbreak but miserable that they can't party like they're used to.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:52 pm
Well, my heater is fixed, but they discovered that I have a broken sway bar. I'm still waiting to see how that turns out. Apparently one needs a sway bar very much.
I've never heard of a sway bar. I googled it and apparently it's part of your suspension, which apparently is pretty important :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
What do they say about "RJDiogenes?"
I'm sure marketers would hate RJDiogenes. The experts say that product names must have Brand synergy, Resonance, Scalability, Visibility, Distinctiveness, Longevity, and Simplicity.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I do recall that. I would have called it an F-U twister.
:lol: That's very good. I tip my hat to you, sir.

:heart:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:47 am

gm. work.....

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:34 am

Thursday is the new Friday. Hopefully the news about my car won't be too bad. It's probably a good idea to think about leasing at this point.
scottydog wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 pm
I spoke with the Associate Provost today and she said that the students are happy that there's no outbreak but miserable that they can't party like they're used to.
That's a tragic sacrifice. :lol:
I've never heard of a sway bar. I googled it and apparently it's part of your suspension, which apparently is pretty important :lol:
There's always something new that can go wrong. :mellow:
I'm sure marketers would hate RJDiogenes. The experts say that product names must have Brand synergy, Resonance, Scalability, Visibility, Distinctiveness, Longevity, and Simplicity.
Pronounceability.
:lol: That's very good. I tip my hat to you, sir.
:D
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:47 am
gm. work.....
Sounds like another overstuffed day.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:06 am

Happy Thursday, all :hello:

For my birthday this weekend, The Wife is treating us to a weekend along the Chesapeake Bay. We have a hotel room tonight right where the Rappahannock River feeds into the Bay, about a 90-minute drive east of here. We leave tonight. The remnants of Hurricane Sally will soak us tonight and tomorrow morning. Then other than being chilly, the weather should be nice. I should be able to check in every day.
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:47 am
gm. work.....
Please don't work too hard!
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:34 am
Pronounceability.
Actually, now that you mention it, how do you pronounce the 'Diogenese' part? Is it 'DEE-ahh-jen-ease'? 'DIE-ahh-jen-ease'? 'DEE-oh-jen-ease'? 'DIE-oh-jen-ease'? Or something else?

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:44 am

Good morning. :hello:

The first thing I said to myself as I was turning off the alarm was, "Well, today's Monday." It wasn't until a half hour later that I realized my mistake. That was my first laugh for the day. I so glad I've found something to amuse myself with. :lol:

No set plans for the day. Just the usual. Well, my new usual. A little bit of cleaning, a little time to veg out.
Imagine by John Lennon

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:24 pm

Good morning!

I actually had a night of normal sleep. I don't mind the insomnia, as I am not tired on this medication, but I do know my body needs rest from time to time.

On Sunday, I found another woman at church, who loves to walk and hike, and who has also been looking for someone to tag along. We are meeting at one of the Metroparks this afternoon. Kelly is overwhelmed with the housework, so I was hoping to be able to help her with the Fall cleaning, but now the landscaping job needs me. I may go see what needs to be done, see what plants are still available this time of year, and then do the work on Saturday. I also want to drag out my Halloween decorations out of storage, to see what I have, and what we can use. I also have laundry to do.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Another day. :yawn:

Also Trash Day! Plus I have to wrestle three dogs to the vet. :unsure: This should be fun.
And in other news Ancestry.com has updated it's DNA estimates again.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Cayla wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:24 pm
On Sunday, I found another woman at church, who loves to walk and hike, and who has also been looking for someone to tag along. We are meeting at one of the Metroparks this afternoon.
That's great. I love making new friends.
jgc wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:44 am
The first thing I said to myself as I was turning off the alarm was, "Well, today's Monday." It wasn't until a half hour later that I realized my mistake.
Sounds like a nightmare scenario :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:08 pm
Really? I will relay this info to The Wife, who loves looking into these things :thumbsup:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

The good news is that my car can be fixed. The bad news is that it will cost two thousand bucks and I won't have it back till next Wednesday.
scottydog wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:06 am
For my birthday this weekend, The Wife is treating us to a weekend along the Chesapeake Bay. We have a hotel room tonight right where the Rappahannock River feeds into the Bay, about a 90-minute drive east of here. We leave tonight. The remnants of Hurricane Sally will soak us tonight and tomorrow morning. Then other than being chilly, the weather should be nice. I should be able to check in every day.
That's very nice. I just love the sound of "Chesapeake Bay." It sounds almost as good as "Shenandoah River."
Actually, now that you mention it, how do you pronounce the 'Diogenese' part? Is it 'DEE-ahh-jen-ease'? 'DIE-ahh-jen-ease'? 'DEE-oh-jen-ease'? 'DIE-oh-jen-ease'? Or something else?
"Die-awe-jen-ease," like the ancient Greek wise ass. I love listening to people try to pronounce it. One time there was a girl at BMC who I was showing how forums work on my computer. I pointed to my name and said, "That's me." She kind of squinted at it and said, "Rigid ogre knees?"
jgc wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:44 am
The first thing I said to myself as I was turning off the alarm was, "Well, today's Monday." It wasn't until a half hour later that I realized my mistake. That was my first laugh for the day. I so glad I've found something to amuse myself with. :lol:
That would have been a pleasant surprise for me. :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:24 pm
I also want to drag out my Halloween decorations out of storage, to see what I have, and what we can use. I also have laundry to do.
I should start putting a Halloween reading and DVD list together. As I was sorting through my stuff to put into storage, I found the August Derleth book that I wanted to read last year. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:08 pm
Also Trash Day!
I almost missed Trash Day this week because of having Monday off.
Plus I have to wrestle three dogs to the vet. :unsure: This should be fun.
Just checkups, I hope.
Have they increased my Neanderthal ratio again?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 am

We drove to the Bay taking an hour and 45 minutes in the pouring rain. Thank you, Hurricane Sally. We found a restaurant and had a nice meal. Now we're crashing in our hotel room. The skies should clear for the weekend but the temps will be in the 60s all 3 days we're here.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 pm
The good news is that my car can be fixed. The bad news is that it will cost two thousand bucks and I won't have it back till next Wednesday.
Oh no. That's horrible :no: Just when you're making headway on your credit card debt, too. I'm so sorry. :(
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 pm
She kind of squinted at it and said, "Rigid ogre knees?"
:lol: From this day forward, I will be unable to look at your name without thinking of 'Rigid Ogre Knees' :guffaw:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 am

scottydog wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 am
We drove to the Bay taking an hour and 45 minutes in the pouring rain. Thank you, Hurricane Sally. We found a restaurant and had a nice meal. Now we're crashing in our hotel room. The skies should clear for the weekend but the temps will be in the 60s all 3 days we're here.
The 60s is pretty pleasant. What are you going to do, besides take pictures to post here? :D
Oh no. That's horrible :no: Just when you're making headway on your credit card debt, too. I'm so sorry. :(
I know, thanks. I was just about to crack $20k. Maybe by Christmas.
:lol: From this day forward, I will be unable to look at your name without thinking of 'Rigid Ogre Knees' :guffaw:
Same here. :lol:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:40 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 am
The 60s is pretty pleasant. What are you going to do, besides take pictures to post here? :D
Good question. If the weather's nice, we can kayak in the creeks and rivers that feed into the Chesapeake. Plus there are wineries all around here for wine-tasting, and antique stores which I loathe but The Wife loves. Finally, the hotel here lets guests use bicycles for free, and the town roads here are perfect for bike-riding.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 am
I know, thanks. I was just about to crack $20k. Maybe by Christmas.
Have you considered ditching the car and just using Uber to get where you need to go? If you ran the numbers, you might find that saves you money.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:05 am

GM. shopping with L, a plot trot, and a gardening job are on todays agenda.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 am

And my long weekend has begun, but I have no car. Good day for reading, I guess. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:40 am
and antique stores which I loathe but The Wife loves.
That's interesting. Why don't you like antique stores? Are you afraid anything you buy will be cursed, like in Friday the 13th: The Series?
Have you considered ditching the car and just using Uber to get where you need to go? If you ran the numbers, you might find that saves you money.
I can't imagine having to wait for an Uber at 6:00 on a Saturday morning and then riding 45 minutes to my Mother's house-- and then repeating the process when I want to go home. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:05 am
GM. shopping with L, a plot trot, and a gardening job are on todays agenda.
That sounds like a better day.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 am

Happy Friday, everyone :hello:

Looks like the big rainstorm is pulling out this morning, so we'll either go for a nice long walk or a bike ride this morning. I'll be sure to take pics :camera: Then we'll probably visit a couple of wineries this afternoon. Tonight we have dinner reservations at a restaurant overlooking the Rappahannock RIver.
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:05 am
shopping with L
Anything in particular you are looking to buy?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 am
Why don't you like antique stores? Are you afraid anything you buy will be cursed, like in Friday the 13th: The Series?
We've gone to hundreds of antique stores together and they're all the same shop -- she loves looking at old desks, tables, chests of drawers, and woodworking tools. That stuff bores me. But I will admit to enjoying old books and magazines which these shops sometimes have.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 am
I can't imagine having to wait for an Uber at 6:00 on a Saturday morning and then riding 45 minutes to my Mother's house-- and then repeating the process when I want to go home. :lol:
If I lived in a city and didn't drive much, I'd consider Uber or Lyft. They always arrive within 5 minutes of ordering them. But I do understand the desire for autonomy, and in the age of COVID19, not sharing airspace with a stranger in a closed environment is important.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:33 am

Anything in particular you are looking to buy?
yes - food! :D
its my weekly grocery shop now - so stuff like vegan/organic snacks (corn chips, lentil chips, salter caramel raw food bars, masala bites) cleaning stuff (loo cleaner, trash sacks, white vinegar) cherries, prunes, etc.... all done. now i am either going to the plot or do a gardening job this afternoon.
have a super-busy week next week - as our coordinator/coworker is off on vacation for a whole week and another staff member is off for a half week! i am working 3.5 days split across 6 days. (full day thursday with half days mon/tues/fri/sat and sun) also, we are reinstalling my sons car battery on wednesday as it goes for service/mot friday...and i have a 2 hr monthly gardening job to slot in if i dont do that this arvo. plus there is some online study courses to enjoy.... ill pop in between :book: and :yum: and :butterfly: and :dance: :coffee: :angel: though....