Check-In Thread #95: Americium Interstate Dogme

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-In Thread #95: Americium Interstate Dogme

Post by Cayla »

I picked Ron up, and now he is off to work. :no:

I need to be back in a half an hour, as I have a meeting with a drug rep at 1:00pm.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Cayla wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:31 pm
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

It's a gloomy day. Luckily, other than normal, everyday things, I have nothing to do. This is my "vacation" week (no store runs, no doctors, nothin!). :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:27 pm
Somebody should invent heated boots. And gloves. And hats. And clothes. And underwear.
Heated socks and insoles exist, but the good ones aren't cheap. However, I have decided to invest in some next year. I can't take walking on frozen boulders anymore. :no: :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:36 pm
This is what my husband does for a living. Estimate, draw up plans, project manages, and sometimes carpentry work. One would think he would build me a place to live, but he does work for everyone else. All our stuff is half done. :lol:
Isn't that normal with people in that line of work? My brother, who is a mason, has been working on his house since they bought it, so almost... 25 years? The ceiling in the kitchen is still haphazardly patched with plywood and plastic. But the outside looks like a castle. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Yep, I'm running late again....
Cayla wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:31 pm
I admire his work ethic, but I hope he doesn't hurt himself. Did the hospital give him any restrictions?
scottydog wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm
RJ, I'll try to watch Shape of Water this weekend.
You won't be sorry. It's not a sequel to Creature From The Black Lagoon, because it's from a different studio, but there's nothing in the story that prevents it from being a sequel to Creature From The Black Lagoon.
Cayla, glad to hear Ron is coming home. Maddy, not sure I want a Loser meal -- are there Winner meals? :lol:
Just chocolate, I would imagine.
Lupine wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:51 pm
Have a dental appointment today.
Ouch. Good luck. :afraid:
Elara wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:54 pm
Isn't that normal with people in that line of work? My brother, who is a mason, has been working on his house since they bought it, so almost... 25 years? The ceiling in the kitchen is still haphazardly patched with plywood and plastic. But the outside looks like a castle. :lol:
Doctors make the worst patients.

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 pm
Lupine wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:51 pm
Have a dental appointment today.
Ouch. Good luck. :afraid:
It was just to get my replacement parts, though I'm not sure of them yet.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

emma glitch wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:19 am
Gary wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:50 pm
scottydog wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:32 pm
^^ :lol:

Speaking of lazy and irresponsible -- I just had a nice long phone chat with a friend from grad school whom I hadn't heard from in years. He's 59 like me, but unlike me, he waited until last week to have his first colonoscopy (which they recommend you have at age 50 or younger).

So of course they found a "big mass" which they're doing a biopsy on. My friend is scared to death as you can imagine. They'll let him know the results on Tuesday.

The good news is that he's symptom-free which suggests that if it's malignant, maybe they've caught it early before it's metastscized.
My friend in Virginia said she's going to get one this year but was fretting over finding someone who could take her. I told her I'd come out since I know how daunting it can be. That way, no last minute cancellations will affect her. Meanwhile, I know people nearing 50 who gripe and complain at the very thought of getting one. Since I've been there twice, I lay it out straight that they're freaking out over absolutely nothing.

What I find maddening is the orthodontist's assistants advise their patients to take OTC pain reliever whenever their braces are adjusted. The amount of discomfort lasts just a few days, so I think they're doing people a disservice by recommending medication. Maybe it's me, but I think the US public have turned into the biggest weenies in the past 35 years, always wanting a little pill to cure all that ails. Some years back, a co-worker was telling me how I'd be on cholesterol medication "like everyone else"? :wtf: :wtf: He proceeded to point out several people in the office who were on one form of medication or another. I told him since I don't eat the Oklahoma diet of fried everything washed down with a soda that I wasn't worried. Blood pressure medication is another over medication trend (IMO), and I found it disturbing that several blood pressure medications were recently linked to cancer.
Yep, I was okay when the stupid nursing home stopped giving me my meds and the va never said a thing about that, so I got out of the horrible nursing home went into assistive living where I was no longer locked in and hopped the bus to get out and get good healthy meals , whch are not available at nursing homes or assistibe living since they are not there to autally take care of us, at whole foods I overhearnd a couple of old guys talk about beet juice so I started drinking it every day and not only does it taste good, ut it is good for you. Unlike the statin drug for blood pressure control beet5 juice actually brourght my blood pressure back down to where it used to be when I was 50. Yay! No more
Big Pharma for me!
I did not know that about beet juice. Thanks for that tip!
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good evening!

I'll fill you all in about how crazy I can be...Addison's Gizmo called me, while I was on my way to pick up Ron. The Gizmo is a watch-type object for her to call for help in an emergency. I'm one of the contacts. I answered it, and no one was there. I tried to call it, and there was no answer. I panicked. I was unsure of what to do...call my sister? Call my ex brother-in-law? Call the police? Then I told myself to be rational, and I realized she was in school, so no one tried to kidnap her. Phew! But then...and here is where I get crazy... I thought, "OMG! What if there is a shooter at the school, and she is hiding in a bathroom or somewhere else in the school?" All logic exited my brain. I was going to go to the school, and find her, shooter be damned. At that moment, she sent a text apologizing for accidentally calling me on it, while she was in class. It made me realize that I don't know what I would do if she really did have an emergency, other than get myself into trouble, too.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Cayla wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:11 am
I'll fill you all in about how crazy I can be...Addison's Gizmo called me, while I was on my way to pick up Ron. The Gizmo is a watch-type object for her to call for help in an emergency. I'm one of the contacts. I answered it, and no one was there. I tried to call it, and there was no answer. I panicked. I was unsure of what to do...call my sister? Call my ex brother-in-law? Call the police? Then I told myself to be rational, and I realized she was in school, so no one tried to kidnap her. Phew! But then...and here is where I get crazy... I thought, "OMG! What if there is a shooter at the school, and she is hiding in a bathroom or somewhere else in the school?" All logic exited my brain. I was going to go to the school, and find her, shooter be damned. At that moment, she sent a text apologizing for accidentally calling me on it, while she was in class. It made me realize that I don't know what I would do if she really did have an emergency, other than get myself into trouble, too.
I would have done the same thing and probably called the police, too. Better to get yourself in trouble than to risk something bad happening. Kind of sad that one of the first things we think of is a school shooter. :no:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Yikes, Cayla. You can never say that you lead a dull life :lol:
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

Cayla wrote:
Good evening!

Absolutely would have reacted the same way, and yes, "shooter be damned". Hopefully calming down before I did something dumb, but no guarantees. :lol:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM. 3.5 hours of work lie ahead today - very windy here - still sleepyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Today I must go in to HQ. Hopefully the rain stops before I have to leave. :rain:

:tea:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Thursday, everyone :hello:

Today's my heavy teaching day. The good news is that The Wife and I have ballroom dancing tonight to look forward to :dancer:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 am
Today I must go in to HQ.
I'm so glad you now have a reliable car to get you there. Seems like a long time since you've last added a car problem to the Broken Things thread (knock on :wood:)

Good to see you again, Elara. I hope jgc can find time to check in today :yes: And I hope Ron is now home :house:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

Ron is home. He is on some potent antibiotics for the next 2 weeks. When he is finished taking them, he will have a CT scan, and an appointment with his surgeon. He also has an appointment with his Primary Care doctor in March, but he does not understand why he needs to see him, if the surgeon is taking care of this problem. The hospital also wanted him to schedule an appointment with another primary care doctor in their network, since his is not. He told them where they can go with that. :lol:

Today will be a day of cleaning, and maybe some genealogy research. I also have a book I want to finish reading. It is about 2 country doctors in Northern Ireland, during the 1960's, and how they deal with the quirky characters of the village. After I began reading it, and enjoying it, I found out it is one of a series of 13 books. Now I have to read the other 12 books. :lol:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^It's always good finding a new series though. :yes:

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Will try to get some writing in today. Have to find firewood at some point.
Cayla wrote:
Yikes. Glad it was a false alarm, but wow.