Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Post by Madeliaette »

GM. returning to leonaradslee RJ - different blooms are present!
yesterday i cleaned, plot-attended, and cleaned. today i am set for a grocery delivery, plot trot, gardening job and cleaning job.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Happy May Day!
Happy Beltane!
Happy Walpurgisnacht! (why does the spell check know that word? :unsure: )

A flurry of holidays aside it's just another day here.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 pm
Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:43 pm
Life bumbles on.
Speaking of which.... I've heard that bumblebees are now endangered but I've been seeing a ton of them this Spring. :bee:
There's been a lot of concern about the disappearance of insects in general, but after a wet winter here they seem to be making a come back.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

we've had a dry winter and the latest statistics say that 3/4 of our insects are now on the red list.
There are a few bumble bees around but rather few bees and almost no butterflies.

Walpurgisnacht was rather peaceful in my town. It's a pity that today is a public holiday - it'd have been interesting to see if one particularly annoying colleague was tired this morning and/or had a sore bottom. Walpurgisnacht is the night when all witches fly on their brooms to a certain mountain to meet for a dance :D
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

huggle wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm
Walpurgisnacht is the night when all witches fly on their brooms to a certain mountain to meet for a dance :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLgM1QJ3S_I
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

So, an update.

Some of you may remember I was desperately unhappy with my SO of 40 years, a few years ago. Things have progressively worsened, as her narcissism came more and more to the fore, and I finally realised that I was being taken for a fool and I had enough money in the bank to effect an escape. I immediately fled 570 miles to my son's place, as he'd been asking me to leave "that woman" (his mother, I add) for a while, and I knew they needed help with the twins. It also allowed me time to focus on finalising the book and figuring out Amazon's setup, not so easy. It's been 2 months now and I'm enjoying it though I still feel a little guilty. I help where I can, usually night feeds, and will probably stay until DiL finishes uni, a bit over a year.

This break was well overdue, and every single person I know says it's a good thing. I feel foolish for staying so long, but I had reasons. So there's all that. My sig seems more appropriate than ever.

This post will only be here for a while, before it is heavily modified for privacy reasons, just to let you know.
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I doubt that anyone will stumble in here and read it, so I think your privacy will be safe.
Still, sorry about the breakup. I know it was long overdue but I imagine that it has been stressful nonetheless.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

I sympathize, having been in a similar situation before. I think everyone would have reacted the same way you did. It's great that your son supports you in your decision! Moral backup is invaluable in times of crisis.
But what about your old place and your things? Do you still have to pay her rent or did you quit the flat or house completely, leaving her in the street? Did you take all your belongings with you or did you have to leave them behind where she can access them?

And as for privacy on ReNext: if you like, I can add a special subforum that is invisible to non-members. Or even to just certain members. That's easily done with just a few mouseclicks. I have to add the caveat, though, that all Admins on this board would still be able to read it, even if you'd explicitly lock us out. The board software doesn't allow to hide things from Admins.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

How did my post from this morning get deleted? I did my usual morning post here at 7am and it's now gone. :eek:

In fact, both my posts this morning are missing -- from here and from the weather thread.
australis wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:34 pm
This break was well overdue, and every single person I know says it's a good thing.
I know how you feel, australis. My first marriage was awful, too, and like you I waited way too long to end things.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

mea culpa! The board upgrade failed epically and I had to restore the board from a backup I had made before you posted.
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

^Ah, that explains why I was getting an invalid form error when I tried to log in earlier. ;) And why my password reset that I tried as an attempt to fix it (which also failed spectacularly) was reverted.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

huggle wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:57 pm
mea culpa! The board upgrade failed epically and I had to restore the board from a backup I had made before you posted.
Okay, good, I'm not going crazy. (yet) I'm glad you were able to help us recover from this epic failure :eek:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Well, today was absolutely miserable. :lol: Except for the interview, which was fine (although I've got some stiff competition). Hopefully the remainder of my birthday will be more pleasant....
huggle wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:57 pm
Ah, okay. I had been thinking that I must have forgotten to click on Submit or something, because I was sure I posted. :lol:

So I'll go all the way back:
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:59 am
Be sure to wear a shirt that doesn't have chocolate stains. This is basically impossible for me.
Or has all chocolate stains. This is just as good, as long as your shoes match. :D
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:37 am
GM. returning to leonaradslee RJ - different blooms are present!
That's great. I hope you get some nice pictures. :yes:
Lupine wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:54 pm
Happy Walpurgisnacht! (why does the spell check know that word? :unsure: )
It knows Saturnalia, too. ReNext celebrates the best holidays. :lol:
huggle wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm
There are a few bumble bees around but rather few bees and almost no butterflies.
Yikes. That's alarming.
Walpurgisnacht is the night when all witches fly on their brooms to a certain mountain to meet for a dance :D
Sounds like something out of Fantasia. :broomstick:
Now there's a party. :D
australis wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:34 pm
So, an update.
Well, I'm sorry for your troubles, but I'm also happy for you, because you deserve to be in a happier place with a happier life. And why would you feel guilty for demonstrating tolerance and loyalty above and beyond the call of duty?
Jim Gamma wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:45 pm
^Ah, that explains why I was getting an invalid form error when I tried to log in earlier. ;)
That's the same error I was getting when I tried to log into the ACP. I posted about it, but that one must be gone now, too. :lol:

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:54 pm
There's been a lot of concern about the disappearance of insects in general, but after a wet winter here they seem to be making a come back.
Even with our hyper-wet last 12 months, I still don't see as many insects out there or on my windshield like I used to. :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm
Well, today was absolutely miserable.
What happened that made it miserable? And when will you know if you've gotten this new job?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm
Or has all chocolate stains. This is just as good, as long as your shoes match. :D
Okay, this is deja vu -- you're reposting your lost post but it feels like a fresh post and now i feel like going postal. :loopy:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good evening!

I lost all of my posts from this morning, but that is ok. I didn't have much to say. :lol:

:hello: austalis! We missed you! I'm glad you are doing well, and have got away from the unpleasantness.

I've been dealing with marital issues myself, but it appears that we are in agreement to work together, again. He also agreed to cut certain people out of his life. I'm done with not being a priority, and I am done with drug addicts. As of Monday morning, I was going to move in with my brother in Panama City.

I'm looking forward to some much needed "me" time, tomorrow.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM. also noting a decline in bees. we used to have dozens buzzing about our wildlife patch just a few years ago - now i see maybe 1-2 at a time....we sitll have them, but their numbers have severely declined.L read or heard some place that in so many years time there will be such a decrease in insects - i forget the details and year - but basically it will make a severe difference to the planet. we need many of these little tiny creatures to enable planetary health....also food for us humans for example!!!!
thumbs up Aussie!!
yesterday was plot/garden job/evening job - today is cleaning job, cleaning job, cleaning job.