Garden Club V: Herbs, Vegetables, and Blooms

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Re: Garden Club V: Herbs, Vegetables, and Blooms

Post by Madeliaette »

i appear t have a baby cherry tree - yehhhhhhh - one of the pips i planted is now a daffodil sized mini tree!
today we edged/pruned/todeid half a garden for L2 - so that when he comes out of hospitsl he will have it tidy and nice to see on his way inside. at home, lots of seedlings up in the poly tunnel - and butternut/endive/3rd lot of chii seeds planted. outside...we have had a few late fronsts this past week - so most local magno;ias have mushed out and a few early pplanted fowers been killed off...most of my stuff is hardy en ough or in the pt though...so no worries for me. im excited a bout the chrry tree 0 i tried growing one for 2-3 years - using fridge method/tub method and throwing seed - and the discarded pip s the only way its worked. alas, i dont know the variety of cheerry - but if it majes it, it will be in the pwrfect place - replacing the former coxes pippin apple tree that had such small apples it wasnt really worth it. i wanted a cherry tree, and....i think i have one!!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Nice. How soon before you have cherries?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

no idea. i havent grown a cherry pip into a tree before!! so far, i have a stem about a foot and a half high with leaves spurting out healthily. I will have to wait and see - then tell you on that one.
i planted some peas in the poly tunnel this morning....if we dont get to the plot today, i will have tons of seeds/seedlings and no patches to plant into!
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Everything is finally turning green! Iris and hosta are sprouting from the ground. The azalea have their leaves. I have tons of yard work, and landscaping work to do, but my real job is getting in the way. :lol:
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Employment can be a real pain in the neck sometimes. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 am
i planted some peas in the poly tunnel this morning....
Is that where the honeysuckle will go, in the poly tunnel?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

We have little figs growing on our fig tree already! I'm excited :bounce:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

s that where the honeysuckle will go, in the poly tunnel?
no i already planted it out front. the border i cleared of weed is empty between clem atic and cotoneaster...so im filling it with non weed - preferablery sprawly things and the honeysuckle is planted in dead centa.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Nice. Does it have a trellis?

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

no way!! i dont do show gardens - i do natural pla nts. we will ave the cotoneaster for bird berries, the honeysuckle for pleasurable smells, and the clematis for dark purple color....in summer they will grow wild, with a once a year trim back.ll trimming will be thrown underneath them to rot anturlly.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, but honeysuckle is a climber. It likes to climb things. We had a trellis out back at the old house and it turned into a big wall of honeysuckle. I used to sit next to it and read in the Summer. It smelled great, and also attracted a lot of bees.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ We have tons of honeysuckle here in Virginia. It should be blooming here soon. It is a sensational scent, and yes, I think it does climb up trees and fence posts :yes:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

so does clematis - i just curl it along as it stretches up - i dont bother tying things down once theyre establisged. i let them freeeeeeeeeeee
so my cherry tree has a steak for a couple of years - then will grow in its own direction....ut things like clematis and honesuckle can grow in all ways they choose - i just trim them back each year end...
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

If I ever buy a house or condo, honeysuckle will be mandatory. :flower:

Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

I bought these:
0330211501a.jpg
and peat pots to slip into them, so I could start seeds and at least get a few weeks head start. And now I've got 17 squash, 3 peppers and two tomato plants already up. Yesterday I got more seeds that I ordered and will start some of them.

My plan is to plant most of the squash plants at the ends of an arch made out of concrete wire mesh. I have a chunk long enough to make a pretty big arch. The perks of having a brother who does masonry. :) Now I just need to get another long chunk. :D
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

At first I thought it was a mega brownie maker.