Garden Club V: Herbs, Vegetables, and Blooms

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Garden Club V: Herbs, Vegetables, and Blooms

Post by Cayla »

After work, we finally roto-tilled the vegetable garden, and I planted the brussels sprouts, broccoli, and next years red onion. In a couple of weeks, I will plant tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, beans, and zucchini. The dogwood trees are now in full bloom. Everything is green, again. :)
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Garden Club V: Herbs, Vegetables, and Blooms

Post by scottydog »

Our beans are popping up and we have green tomatoes growing. They'll ripen while we're gone, so hopefully the lady taking care of our house & yard will just help herself when they get ripe.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

My banana trees survived the winter! They are sprouting out of the ground.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ That's amazing that you have banana trees. Will they actually bear fruit? :eek:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

^
No, they are ornamental. I also have a crepe myrtle, which has survived the past two winters, and 2 gardenias. I think only one of the gardenias made it through this winter.

My garden is going in this weekend.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^We have trouble keeping our gardenias alive from year to year.

I can't wait to get home next week to eat some home grown tomatoes. They have to be ripe by now.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

I have added 3 tomato plants, 4 bells pepper plants, and one banana pepper plant to the garden. We are going to purchase the rest of the plants, tomorrow.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Upon taking apart our waterfall, Saturday evening, we discovered that we have 2 :frog: :frog: !!!! The second one seems to be a young frog. It is long and thin, compared to Froggie.

I planted some flowers in hanging baskets. Now I have a flat of snap dragons waiting to be planted in the flower beds. I hope I can get to it, this evening. I also discovered a tiny green tomato growing. The weather needs to warm up, so my vegetables can grow.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ I love snap dragons and bagonias. But The Wife doesn't like them, and she's in charge of what we plant.

Our tomato plants have never looked better. We're swimming in beautiful red ripe tomatoes, and our pepper plants are yielding lots of fruit, too :dance:
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Snap dragons are my favorite. It brings back memories from my childhood.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Such a great time of year with so many flowers in bloom -- roses, impatiens, and lilies especially.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

May, June, and July are my favorite months, due to the blooming flowers. That and the warm temperatures we are supposed to have.

I finished planting the remaining snap dragons in the front flower bed. They were on clearance, so we have a lot of them. I did not buy any other annual flowers, besides a few petunias and calibrachoas in the baskets and planters. Last night, I moved a yellow daylily. It no longer bloomed, because it was being over crowded by other plants. Hopefully, it will like it's new spot.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Our veggies are ripening faster than we can pick'em and eat'em. It's a good problem to have :yum:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

strawebrries and raspberries and rhubarb on trhe go, with gooseberries ready to cook but not eat raw down the plot fruit wise. blueberries will also be ready soon. veg wise i harvested some garlic/shaloots and have begun on the plot lettuce - oin the poly tunnel i have potatoes and salkad leaves/herbs plus seedlings to plant down the plot and tomatoes in flower but not fruit.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

I am currently harvesting strawberries, broccoli, oregano, and parsley.