Check-In 104:MBTA in Scotland

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Check-In 104:MBTA in Scotland

Post by Madeliaette » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:09 am

GM again. ahead, i am meeting L on the allot ment plot to hand over the sare key to my plot shed. we are going to spend an hour or two down there chatting and pottering round . now im working 3 full days a week she has offered to water my crops and do a bit of weeding/digging/crop picking etc as and when needed so i dont have to try to fit it into a 2-3 hr lunch break.
afterwards, i shall do my house chores, gardening, and coking....

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Re: Check-In 104:MBTA in Scotland

Post by Orpheus » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:22 am

scottydog wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:08 am
Interesting how Asian cultures understood the value of masks before the non-Asian cultures. I predict that when students return in the fall, all the faculty and students will be wearing masks, and there will be incredible creativity in mask designs. I want a mask that shows my mouth moving, like a gif :lol:
Some folks from my makerspace made themselves masks with RGB LED displays behind them, shining through--images OR animation. At home. Those could be rather helpful in a time of social unrest and govt facial recognition. IR LEDs esp mess up surveillance cameras

My sister and niece moved in yesterday (My BIL is essential personnel, running the Red Cross food banks from Brockton to Lynn, as fewer of his on-site staff are reporting). At least I'm told they're here. I see lights under her door, but I haven't seen even a glimpse of either of them personally. They won't share a hall or bathroom with me (b/c I'm "contaminated") or my dad (for his sake -- they consider themselves contaminated with respect to him). I still have an unused bathroom/living area in the basement, but I think my best friend has hungry eyes for that. How many subgroups can mutually self-isolate in a single home? Only Folgers Crystals knows for sure. Let's see what happens.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:43 am

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Another week begins. It's 55 degrees out there. Why couldn't it have been that warm on Sunday morning?
jgc wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:01 am
There will be a reminder waiting for maintenance when they get in tomorrow. And, who knows, it may just need water drained out of it.
I hope so. It's pretty new.
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:09 am
afterwards, i shall do my house chores, gardening, and coking....
No jobs today? That's good.
Orpheus wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:22 am
How many subgroups can mutually self-isolate in a single home?
Sounds like the premise of a COVID-era sitcom. :lol:

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:20 am

Happy Monday, all :hello:

Some individual academic advising meetings over zoom today. Plus teaching at 12noon. It may be too stormy and windy to get outside for a walk, however :no:
jgc wrote: Scotty, you don't need to worry about me. There will be a reminder waiting for maintenance when they get in tomorrow. And, who knows, it may just need water drained out of it.
I just wish your AC unit was more reliable. :unsure:
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:09 am
now im working 3 full days a week she has offered to water my crops and do a bit of weeding/digging/crop picking etc as and when needed so i dont have to try to fit it into a 2-3 hr lunch break.
That's very nice of her to offer to help :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:43 am
It's 55 degrees out there. Why couldn't it have been that warm on Sunday morning?
Were you able to get out and about at all this past weekend? I hope so.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 am

Good morning!

Yesterday consisted of watching Athena go through her Easter basket and hunting eggs, an online sermon, cleaning the second level of the house, cooking Easter dinner for everyone, and a season 3 The Boulet Brother's Dragula marathon.

Now it is time to go back to making money.

Kelly's company sent everyone in her household cloth masks.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:24 am

pops back in
No jobs today? That's good.
yes i can fill my time and get me-stuff done. i spent 2 1/4 hours down the plot with L - at different ends, using our own tools, but chatting as well as working. she is digging over the ground i didnt get done due to 3-4 wet months instead of winter, while i weeded my strawberry bed, watered, and began weeding the crops already in situ. i already pottered in the poly tunnel so now im having a long n lazy lunch - first course coffee. secon course onion rings. thrid course olives and red wine. then a break to clean my bedroom/toilet/batheroom/upper hallway - before vegan burger and roast/boiled veg followed by the final course of either banana or if i make one a cake. then ill end the day pottering in the poly tunnel til dusk and computing...thenread in bed for 3-4 hours.
How many subgroups can mutually self-isolate in a single home?
well my son uses one of my bdrooms as a bedsit - he only comes out of his room to use the loo/bathroom as we dont have any ensuites or to enter/leave the house. so its like we have 2 lots of peeps in one home here...i use the entire house excepting for his bedroom (he does have the largest room though) i spray anti-bac disinfectant spray on toilet/bathroom/front door handles, etc.and i wear gloves when carrying his dirty laundry down to wash. we are both in the 20-70 age group - but both work keyworker/essential jobs.
That's very nice of her to offer to help
:D i think she enjoys it - she does her own bac yard, front yard, the council green border out front of her home, 5-6 neighbors gardens....she likes being outside and gardening!!!! she suggested she pop down if she has an odd hour spare to do some more digging... :D bt cloudier today and stronger wind - but stil warm enough for jersey and tunic rather than a coat/jacket. my strawbs are flowering.....gooseberries too....it wont be long before 5-6 times a week plot trots are needed for watering/cropping will be needed at least 5 times a week for a couple of months, so she is coming dwn to help on my work days. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Good morning, all. :house:

Might have to pop into the post office and out local market at some point this week, though not necessarily today. And I do have to email some photos to my cousin as she mentioned that she didn't have any from her childhood.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:56 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I may be flying off to the Land of Oz momentarily. We're having quite a storm here.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:20 am
It may be too stormy and windy to get outside for a walk, however :no:
I think there were tornado warnings in your neck of the woods. I didn't hear of any sightings, though.
I just wish your AC unit was more reliable. :unsure:
Me, too. Especially since it's practically new.
Were you able to get out and about at all this past weekend? I hope so.
A little bit. The storage place and my Mother's house on Saturday. The store and the gas station on Sunday. It was too chilly in the morning to go to the beach.
Cayla wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 am
Now it is time to go back to making money.
While we can. :lol:
Kelly's company sent everyone in her household cloth masks.
That's cool. I'm a little surprised that my company hasn't done that.
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:24 am
i spent 2 1/4 hours down the plot with L - at different ends, using our own tools, but chatting as well as working. she is digging over the ground i didnt get done due to 3-4 wet months instead of winter, while i weeded my strawberry bed, watered, and began weeding the crops already in situ.
You should take a video of the plot area. You've posted at least one of the poly tunnel, so we know what that looks like, but I don't think we have a good idea of what the plot looks like.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:13 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:56 pm
I may be flying off to the Land of Oz momentarily. We're having quite a storm here.
At least you won't have to worry about COVID-19. :broomstick:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:38 pm

True. Social distancing comes easier with Munchkins.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:33 am

Today's classes and meetings went well. The Wife and I visited her mother this evening and went with her on a walk around the block. I think it cheered her up that we spent time with her.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Yeah, I saw the forecast for New England. It wasn't pretty.
RJDiogenes wrote:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:20 am
It may be too stormy and windy to get outside for a walk, however :no:
I think there were tornado warnings in your neck of the woods. I didn't hear of any sightings, though.
We had terrible storms this morning, but we somehow weathered it well. A tree fell on my sister-in-law's house about 15 mile northeast of us. There was some damage to the roof. :no:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:13 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
At least you won't have to worry about COVID-19. :broomstick:
Yeah but you could get a Wicked Witch of the Yeast Infection :warn:

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:44 am

No one in my house has yet noticed the tree that fell in my backyard around noon, across the back deck. barely missing the new French doors.

No damage, only the top [= "skinniest"] 20-25ft hit the deck, and I built that deck strong. Too strong, maybe. I wouldn't mind an excuse to rebuild/ remodel it. My tastes have changed in 30-mumble years, as have building materials, and (esp) my knowledge of construction/design.

Still. since I'm too busy to do anything about it anyway, I'll get a kick waiting to see how long it takes any of my family to notice. Bet it's over a month.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:18 am

You should take a video of the plot area. You've posted at least one of the poly tunnel, so we know what that looks like, but I don't think we have a good idea of what the plot looks like.
i have put photos yp on my diy/deco/plot blog... but i will get a video at some stage i guess...
today is hike/garden/chores/cook/read. well thats the idea.as we can only go out for one dose of daily exercise the plot will have to skip one day so i can hike - or i wont get any hiking in the bluebell woods done this year.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:01 am

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

And I wonder what today will bring.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:33 am
Yeah, I saw the forecast for New England. It wasn't pretty.
Luckily it eased up a little earlier than I expected.
We had terrible storms this morning, but we somehow weathered it well. A tree fell on my sister-in-law's house about 15 mile northeast of us. There was some damage to the roof. :no:
Ouch. Not too bad, I hope. This is a bad time to need repairs to your house.
Yeah but you could get a Wicked Witch of the Yeast Infection :warn:
No wonder she was so cranky. :thinking:
Orpheus wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:44 am
No one in my house has yet noticed the tree that fell in my backyard around noon, across the back deck. barely missing the new French doors.
Whoa, close call. I'm glad you dodged that bullet.
Still. since I'm too busy to do anything about it anyway, I'll get a kick waiting to see how long it takes any of my family to notice. Bet it's over a month.
Well, they're all hiding in their rooms. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:18 am
i have put photos yp on my diy/deco/plot blog... but i will get a video at some stage i guess...
I've seen some pictures, but I like the videos to get a sense of what it's like to be there.
today is hike/garden/chores/cook/read. well thats the idea.as we can only go out for one dose of daily exercise the plot will have to skip one day so i can hike - or i wont get any hiking in the bluebell woods done this year.
I hope you can get some pictures for Bird Stories.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:03 am

Well, my agent called yesterday. Seems the gas line that runs under the house of my buyer is a main line and not a service line. Somewhere in the past, someone built an addition to the house, and it's the addition that runs over the gas line. The gas company cannot simply move the gas line at her property, but has to start two houses down on either side of the house. This process could take one week, two weeks, two months..... So, I'm a bit irked considering I closed on refinancing to cover the shortfall, but I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I held firm against her moving furniture into the house.

My agent added a kickout clause to the contract, which I signed last night and puts the house back on the market. The buyer has 24-hours to respond to any offers I may receive and accept with an opportunity to counter. According to my agent, the sheltering in place has shifted the market right now as the impulse buyers and the looky-loos aren't shopping. All showings are online until a buyer wishes to view the property in person. She said this past weekend on property received three offers, so it's not as if all hope has been lost. It's still frustrating.....
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:17 am

Happy Chewsday, everyone :hello:

Today I'll teach my classes and do some one-on-one academic advising, all on zoom. The weather is much better today so I have to find time to go out for a long walk.
Orpheus wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:44 am
I'll get a kick waiting to see how long it takes any of my family to notice. Bet it's over a month.
How could they not see it? Don't they ever go outside?
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:18 am
...or i wont get any hiking in the bluebell woods done this year.
How are your noisy neighbors these days? Have they gotten any quieter?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:01 am
How has your job changed since the Apocalypse? I hope you're not too stressed out each day.
Gary wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:03 am
She said this past weekend on property received three offers, so it's not as if all hope has been lost. It's still frustrating.....
You've shown amazing patience through all this. That gas line story is odd -- those sorts of things can't possibly happen very often.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Another day. :unsure:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:01 am
I shudder to think. :peekaboo:
Gary wrote:
Well, my agent called yesterday. Seems the gas line that runs under the house of my buyer is a main line and not a service line. Somewhere in the past, someone built an addition to the house, and it's the addition that runs over the gas line. The gas company cannot simply move the gas line at her property, but has to start two houses down on either side of the house.
Somebody dropped the ball there. :no:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:16 pm

they sing loudly in sudden tuneless b ursts thruout the day - and occasionally for 5-10 min utes during the night - but there have been no LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD parties lately.
am about to make raspb erry/banananananana m ilk shake with rice m ilk for tea... :yum:
well i might take a video of the ;lot tommorrow - depends on if i can carry my camer as well as the stuff i need to take with me...

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:58 pm

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

Tuesday has fallen, like a domino.
Gary wrote:
Well, my agent called yesterday. Seems the gas line that runs under the house of my buyer is a main line and not a service line. Somewhere in the past, someone built an addition to the house, and it's the addition that runs over the gas line.
Unbelievable.
My agent added a kickout clause to the contract, which I signed last night and puts the house back on the market.
:wallbash:
scottydog wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:17 am
How has your job changed since the Apocalypse? I hope you're not too stressed out each day.
It's only changed in the details. It's stressful, but I'm one of the lucky ones, so I can't complain.
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:16 pm
well i might take a video of the ;lot tommorrow - depends on if i can carry my camer as well as the stuff i need to take with me...
Cool. :camera:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:20 am

My classes today went pretty well. I went on a nice long walk thru a different neighborhood and almost got lost :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:16 pm
they sing loudly in sudden tuneless b ursts thruout the day - and occasionally for 5-10 min utes during the night - but there have been no LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD parties lately.
So the stay-at-home orders have one very positive consequences for you :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:58 pm
It's only changed in the details. It's stressful, but I'm one of the lucky ones, so I can't complain.
I hope by now you're good at managing the stress and detaching from all the world's problems that you're exposed to.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:17 am

GM. ahead a plot trot thi morning and gardening for L2 this afternoon - chores/garden/poly tunnel in between and ending with a book in bed.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:44 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

And we're almost halfway through another week.
scottydog wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:20 am
I went on a nice long walk thru a different neighborhood and almost got lost :lol:
Thank goodness for GPS. :lol:
I hope by now you're good at managing the stress and detaching from all the world's problems that you're exposed to.
Nah. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:17 am
GM. ahead a plot trot thi morning and gardening for L2 this afternoon - chores/garden/poly tunnel in between and ending with a book in bed.
Nice, another day off. When do you have to go back to work again?

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:48 am

Good morning!

Work has bee going well, so far. Cruella has been showing up at lunchtime, and only staying about 3 hours. Unfortunately, I heard her say, "I'll see you in the morning". Ugh! It is our long day of work, too.

Ron informed me that my stimulus $$ is here. I'll stop after work to pick up a check from him. I'm still waiting on my income tax return. We filed in mid February, and the money still hasn't been deposited.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:08 pm

Morning. :hello:

Finally, yesterday morning about 11:30 maintenance showed up to fix the AC. Five days! Close to six. It was as I suspected - the unit needed draining. Took them less than 10 minutes. And, yes, while the thermostat is practically new, the unit itself is the original.

I have actually started making a mask. Being the Queen of Procrastination, I've cut the material and pinned the edges for hemming.

I think I might get out for a drive today. And possibly stop at the gas station. :yes:

And that is really all that is happening here.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Happy Wednesday, all :hello:

Today I have a couple of zoom meetings with students. Then the scary meeting the Wife and I have with our financial advisor. This financial crisis will likely delay our retirement by a couple of years. I predict he'll say there are too many unknowns at this time to know for sure.

I'm really worried about our ballroom dance studio being able to stay open. Ballroom dancers tend to be older, which puts them more at risk, and there's no way you can dance around the dancefloor without hitting some other couple's breathing. We really need new anti-viral treatments and a vaccine ASAP.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:44 am
Thank goodness for GPS. :lol:
Exactly. I often wonder how we survived without cell phones, Google, Wikipedia, Youtube and GPS. It must have been hell. :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:48 am
Unfortunately, I heard her say, "I'll see you in the morning". Ugh! It is our long day of work, too.
Oh no. You'd think that the Doc would have spoken to her about toning down her Cruella-ishness.
jgc wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:08 pm
Finally, yesterday morning about 11:30 maintenance showed up to fix the AC. Five days! Close to six. It was as I suspected - the unit needed draining. Took them less than 10 minutes. And, yes, while the thermostat is practically new, the unit itself is the original.
I worry about your unit not being reliable this summer. With these stay-at-home orders, it's not like you can go to the mall to get AC.