Lunch-Munch Thread #6

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Lunch-Munch Thread #6

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:18 pm

No lunch today, except for a couple of Hydrox, but I figured I'd start the thread. :D
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Re: Lunch-Munch Thread #6

Post by scottydog » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:18 pm

Can you send me a link to order Hydrox? I gotta get some, and do a taste-test with Oreos.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:17 pm

French Bread Pizza.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:18 pm
Can you send me a link to order Hydrox? I gotta get some, and do a taste-test with Oreos.
Sure. I just get them from Amazon.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:17 am

A pita stuffed with grilled chicken, babaganoosh, tabouli, garlic sauce, and pickled turnips.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:58 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:17 pm
I just get them from Amazon.
This Hydrox purchase turned out so well I'll have to get them for my brother for Christmas :yes:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:10 pm

Cool. We have to pump up the sales. Keep Hydrox alive! :D

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:03 am

Exactly.

Whenever a person talks
She should mention Hydrox

It sure beats Oreos
Hydrox are heroes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:06 pm

Hydrox rocks!

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:35 am

Arby's crispy chicken sandwich with curly fries today.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:06 pm
Hydrox rocks!
Hydrocks might actually be a worse name than Hyrdrox itself :lol:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:55 pm

"Try Hardrocks cookies today!"

Uh, no....

Actually, that just reminded me of Wacky Packages. :lol:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:21 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:55 pm
"Try Hardrocks cookies today!"

Uh, no....
:lol: :veryhappy:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:55 pm
Actually, that just reminded me of Wacky Packages. :lol:
Ohhh.... what are wacky packages? :conf:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:52 pm

:eek: You didn't have Wacky Packies when you were a kid? :lol: They were trading cards back in the 70s (and onward, apparently), that were very MAD magazine-ish. Here's the Wiki page. They also have a web page, with galleries. I collected these things fanatically when I was in grade school (around the same time I was obsessed with MAD.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:36 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:52 pm
:eek: You didn't have Wacky Packies when you were a kid? :lol: They were trading cards back in the 70s (and onward, apparently), that were very MAD magazine-ish. Here's the Wiki page. T
This is all amazing. How did I miss this?? :eek:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 pm

I don't know, I'm pretty sure they were all over the country. In Junior High, everybody's book covers were always covered with Wacky Pack stickers. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:53 pm

Oh, and TGIF Angus Sliders for lunch.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:33 pm

Hydrox cookies. And milk.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:25 pm

My lunch today, along with Hydrox

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:52 pm

That's either an Applebee's burger or the tower of an evil witch in a Grimm Fairy Tale.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:37 am

It's a lot of food, and fat, and digestive mayhem on a plate.

Today I just had yogurt and blueberries.

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:08 am

This time of year I try to eat 3-4 oz of lobster a day (e.g 1 lobster lasts 3-4 days: body/tomalley one day; claws the next 1-2 days, depending on size; tail the last day (or whatever day I expect I'll most need it -- for me it's a brain food).

At $6/lb [DeMoulas/Market Basket], it's not the extravagance it might seem. My friend in Tom's River, NJ says They're $5/lb there. Covid has slashed the demand this year -- and I've seen it at $4/lb in the past decade in Maine.

Low prices often mean fewer lobstermen consider it "worth chasing", which means a bumper crop the following year, but that doesn't mean it'll be cheaper next year. Lobster prices up here are purely an artifact of distributors' arbitrary impression of future demand. Never trust an Impressionist.

The good news is: climate change is boosting yields in the Gulf of Maine and Canada (the best Homarus americanus) and pushing NJ area lobster closer to shore (NJ meets a lot of the NYC demand). Sadly, yields from VA/MD/DE [which supply DC) have been steadily dropping for decades. Lobsters love the warming waters, but the copepods that juvenile lobsters prefer to eat *don't* love warmer waters. Also: less copepods = less flavor, so DC fatcats steal more of our good stuff up north.

I've been starting wars by insisting that fresh steamed lobsters taste much better without melted butter -- or even chilled the next day. But I'm convinced it's true! When slurp the melted butter afterward, it's because they dulled the flavor of the lobster itself. Lobster has a delicate flavor, but there's a LOT of it in the tail meat. I cut mine into 1-2 gram morsels, and chew it longer than almost anything else -- it yields flavor far longer than steak.Claws? Not such a fan. I make those into lobster roll.

The key is: try not to eat lobster when you're famished -- savor it, and allow a good chunk of time. 3-4oz makes for a long lunch.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:35 pm

^^ I love lobster. But I don't have it often. Melted butter with it sounds delicious, but why have it on there if it tastes better without? Now you've gotten me hungry!

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:28 pm

Orpheus wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:08 am
Covid has slashed the demand this year
Low prices often mean fewer lobstermen consider it "worth chasing", which means a bumper crop the following year
The good news is: climate change is boosting yields
This is interesting. I wonder if this will give seafood populations in general the opportunity to bounce back.
I've been starting wars by insisting that fresh steamed lobsters taste much better without melted butter -- or even chilled the next day.
:vader: :jedi:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:43 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:28 pm
This is interesting. I wonder if this will give seafood populations in general the opportunity to bounce back.
I would think so.

Fewer people affording Hydrox means a huge crop of Hydrox next year :thumbsup:

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:53 am

scottydog wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:35 pm
^^ I love lobster. But I don't have it often. Melted butter with it sounds delicious, but why have it on there if it tastes better without? Now you've gotten me hungry!
Lobster has a delicate flavor. It doesn't jump out at you, especially if you're not familiar with it. Many people just don't have very subtle palates -- they'd need to *learn* to detect/discern/appreciate the subtle shellfish flavor, much as ppl often need to learn to appreciate crawdads/crayfish (another shellfish that tastes better without its traditional liberal spice boil -- a little spice can help; too much and you can't taste the crawdad meat. Yet even in "crawdad country (Georgia to Louisiana), many people have never tried it plain, and never learned to discern it.

Melted butter *sounds* delicious. Some people get it just because of the thought of melted butter. If you watch people closely, you'll see proof of this, right down to ppl swigging melted butter because they can. Butter coats the tongue and keeps you from fully tasting the delicate lobster, but culinary history shows that lobster transitioned from "peasant food" to "luxury food" at the hands of French chefs, and they LOVE their butter. It certainly didn't hurt that prior to the "French [chef] Revolution" (and even decades into it) lobster was boiled for HOURS. Few food retain their flavor after that.

When I was a young boy, I only encountered lobster when we did road trips running the full length of the East Coast. We had the most delicious lobster at roadside stands -- where melted butter wasn't automatically provided. After I moved to Boston, I had lobster much more often, but rarely was it as good. -- of course by then I knew it was supposed to be served with drawn butter.

Later, as a young scientist, I became firmly convinced that we don't eat enough insects -- they are an important component of the diet of EVERY primate, and feature in many world cuisines. It's a totally different biochemistry, with many benefits. We just ditched dropped in the "West" in a blink of an eye.

Fortunately, many shellfish, such as lobsters and shrimp can fill that biochemical niche without offending our parochial sensibilities. I supplemented my diet with frozen shrimp semi-regularly for years, and only as did I begin to realize that lobster really WAS as good as I remembered, and had many of the benefits that I had hypothesized. Your Mileage May Vary, but for me it is distinctly a "brain food" if consumed regularly. Further, while the flavor is delicate, there's lot of it.especially when served chilled. It simply keeps serving up the delicate flavor as you chew, longer than, say, steak.

I suspect that a lot of the problem (and the love of butter) is simply that lobster is "inconsistently fresh" as it reaches much of the country, especially since its expense means that it doesn't have high turnover. Heck, many fancy restaurants don't even have lobster tanks, so they MUST BE serving dead or frozen precooked lobster (and don't kid yourself, just because you picked a lobster from the tank doesn't guarantee that that's what ends up on your plate. It's "more practical" to return those expensive aquarium speciments to the tank

Butter can cover up many sins, much as the "traditional" lemon covers up the inconsistent freshness of other seafood.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:33 pm

scottydog wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:43 am
Fewer people affording Hydrox means a huge crop of Hydrox next year :thumbsup:
We should start our own Hydrox farm.
Orpheus wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:53 am
Later, as a young scientist, I became firmly convinced that we don't eat enough insects --
And thus was born the Orpheus Diet Book.